Do you think being polite to someone is...

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 11:04 am

The post-middle school equivalent of ignoring?

Methinks so.

DeadOperaStar
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2012, 8:57 pm

i dunno your situation, but... in my experience, no. people often still outright ignore rather than just offer politeness. maybe you're hanging around better-bred people than i am. but you know.. 9 times of out 10, i pretty much prefer being ignored, myself. i'm not one to really like the taste of negative attention.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 9:33 pm

With actions, I don't think so. With words, it depends on the situation, but it can certainly portray that. I've had quite a few instances where I thought some people were my friends only to find out their thoughts of me were the exact opposite.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 9:38 pm

Urm, no? I think most people wanted to be treated politely, but I know very few who want to be ignored lol. To be treated politely means you're at the very least being treated with respect, being ignored often entails the opposite.

BMctav
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2012, 4:01 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:
Do you think being polite to someone is... The post-middle school equivalent of ignoring?

Methinks so.

That doesn't make sense. If a person is ignoring you it's because they don't want to talk with you for some reason; which under certain circumstances can be considered impolite. If a person is being polite, they're just being courteous or considerate towards you which is a good thing, I think.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 11:57 am

BMctav wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:
Do you think being polite to someone is... The post-middle school equivalent of ignoring?

Methinks so.

That doesn't make sense. If a person is ignoring you it's because they don't want to talk with you for some reason; which under certain circumstances can be considered impolite. If a person is being polite, they're just being courteous or considerate towards you which is a good thing, I think.

I mean, in like middle school, you ignore someone you don't like.

But high school and adulthood, you will be "polite"

YourMum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2012, 12:20 pm

If one is polite towards those whom one does not like, then how does one behave towards those that one does not like?

Smartalex
Toucan
Toucan

14 Apr 2012, 2:53 am

No.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 3:30 pm

YourMum wrote:
If one is polite towards those whom one does not like, then how does one behave towards those that one does not like?

Just be really fake and give them generic business-type responses.

You dont get personal, you avoid as much as possible, but you deal with them when you have to.

Smartalex
Toucan
Toucan

14 Apr 2012, 3:42 pm

muslim metal head, I think you're dead on for dealing with someone you don't like. That is polite.

Gnonymouse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2012, 4:21 pm

Although it can be polite to pretend to ignore somebody who is violating social conventions, being polite is not the same as ignoring.

Smartalex
Toucan
Toucan

14 Apr 2012, 5:07 pm

it's a polite way to ignore someone.