Page 5 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 8:44 pm

Tequila wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
There are many operating systems and many manufacturers of computers. What monopoly?

Precisely. :)

Most of the others though (like Linux and BSD) require some degree of computer knowledge to set up and maintain. I love my Linux box, don't get me wrong, but it takes a lot more time to ensure that it works properly than it would if I stuck with Windows. For a lot of people that just isn't practical.

American
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2012, 10:17 pm

I have become convinced that liberals and conservatives have fundamental differences in the way their brains function. The reason why they can't agree on anything is because of this. If you're a liberal you think more deficit spending is the best way to prevent the federal government from going bankrupt. If you're a conservative you're like "Umm yeah... I'm not so sure about that." lol, it's fascinating. I read a lot of comments on news websites, especially the Huffington Post, and I have gotten a pretty good idea of how liberals behave, what they believe, how they react to certain things, etc. but their true motives escape me. I can figure out their belief system but it seems weird to me and doesn't make any sense. It's like trying to figure out how the universe is expanding. Where is this space coming from? We know it is coming, but an explanation seems to defy the logical constraints under which our minds operate.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:11 pm

American wrote:
I have become convinced that liberals and conservatives have fundamental differences in the way their brains function. The reason why they can't agree on anything is because of this. If you're a liberal you think more deficit spending is the best way to prevent the federal government from going bankrupt. If you're a conservative you're like "Umm yeah... I'm not so sure about that." lol, it's fascinating. I read a lot of comments on news websites, especially the Huffington Post, and I have gotten a pretty good idea of how liberals behave, what they believe, how they react to certain things, etc. but their true motives escape me. I can figure out their belief system but it seems weird to me and doesn't make any sense. It's like trying to figure out how the universe is expanding. Where is this space coming from? We know it is coming, but an explanation seems to defy the logical constraints under which our minds operate.

I read recently that there is actual evidence of psychological differences, and possibly some evidence of neurological differences, between liberals and conservatives.

And I don't think you quite get the deficit spending idea. It isn't so much to keep the government from going bankrupt as to help people through a recession and use the capital to reinvigorate the economy. If the government were willing to cut back and/or raise taxes after the recession is over then they could make the money back. But alas they never do that. In any case, generally the Democrats have had a better record at balancing budgets than Republicans.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:22 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Are you implying that just because some bloody capitalist does not produce what you want produced at a price you are willing to pay that he is -harming you -? Is that what you are getting at?

My problem with Microsoft has almost nothing to do with the quality of their software.

Quote:
Be advised no living person is under any obligation to do good for you or to do favors for you.

If they would leave others alone and just make and sell software, I would not have a problem with them.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 7:35 am

American wrote:
If you're a liberal you think more deficit spending is the best way to prevent the federal government from going bankrupt.

I don't think this is fair. For one thing, it only makes sense in a certain context, so it can't really be a feature of "liberals" in general. For another thing, concern about the financial state of governments is a universal worry. Why do you think that liberals often advocate higher taxes on wealthy people and corporations? They realise that the money has to come from somewhere.

I could equally well say "if you're a conservative you think lowering the amount of money that the government gets from taxes is the best way to prevent the federal government from going bankrupt." That would sound silly, too.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 9:32 am

alas, it is capitalism that has failed.

reasoning." --William Blake

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 9:41 am

graywyvern wrote:
alas, it is capitalism that has failed.