Bored of certain subjects - help?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 8:04 am

I have never liked English. I am doing GCSE English for the third time (to Americans, it's a qualification you do between the ages of 14 - 16) and have hated it each and every time. I just don't understand why I've got to do an essay on Shakespeare - or study Shakespeare for that matter.

I know I'm going to fail and will have to do it again. I have 2 weeks left and am getting so fed up now. In those two weeks, I have essays to write. Due to needing extra time / rest breaks, I'm so pissed off that this hasn't been factored into the lesson and it's just 30 minutes preparing and 1hr 25min writing. Taking into account extra time and rest breaks, I will not have enough time at all to finish. I have no choice but to take these rests either.

I do keep reminding myself it's only two weeks; but it's two weeks too long and I've not liked this course from the start.

There are supposedly alternatives, which sound better. But nowhere does them.

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:03 pm

That sounds super sucky. If Shakespeare in particular is bugging you have you tried watching the plays or reading them in olde English to modern English translation?
Sticking it out and getting through it this time means you can avoid going through the whole boring, annoying thing again.
Do you need more writing time to finish the essay?

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:07 pm

Thank you :) I don't think I need extra time. I never took it last time - just took the rest break.