Yes 63%  63%  [ 168 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 100 ]
Total votes : 268

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 11:49 pm

cozysweater wrote:
I've been independent since 18 but self-sufficient is harder to gauge. I think self-sufficient since 29? Before that I lived with roommates and boyfriends. So for the last 7 years I've been on my own and paying my own way and doing all my own chores. My apartment has no "style" but it's clean and tidy and there's always toilet paper and hand soap. None of which could ever be counted on when I co-habitated. I seriously love living by myself!

Same here... My place may not be my own house/mortgage yet, but it's a nice apartment and relatively clean & stocked. I hated, HATED room mates and their selfish, rude behaviour. I need my privacy and quiet recharge time... and the freedom to walk around nekkid if I need/want to. ;)

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2012, 1:11 am

A tip for all you with out of control lives; think of life as a contact sport (rugby, american football, martial arts, boxing etc) or that you are in Valhalla and you are a super star or eternal Viking. Every morning just pump your psyche up and go hit the day like its the biggest day of your life. Okay, so I don't quite maintain that sort of adrenalin pumping madness every day, but I certainly have transferred that anxiety energy into the channelled rage of a pro sportsman. It works for me although some people think I'm a bit intense at times and at other times I'm like the tree sloth. No moderation in my case. Omg but this wine tastes good.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 6:28 am

I am pretty self-sufficient. I have a mortgage on a nice flat with my wife and work full time in a software development role. I am less sure how well I would do without the support of my wife though. She does a lot of work around the house and manages the budget and shopping...and drives for us both...and keeps me from getting too stressed about stuff. ...and reminds me about all the stuff I keep forgetting. ...Actually, I wouldn't survive very long at all without her before regressing to some sort of cave-man. Better stick with her I think!

Alexithymia: 137

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 6:45 am

I'm not self sufficient since 2011 (contract of temporary work ended). I can't have my own home, I have always shared it with other people or I have lived with my parents. To pay an apartment you need a lot of money, you can't pay it with the low salaries of here or the high rates of unemployment. If you get a job, the contract is only for 3-6 months and normally is only part-time contract. You can't organize your life on these conditions. Young people only can have own apartment if they have a girlfriend/boyfriend and if both of them have a job, so they can afford the rent. Single young people have to share apartment with two or three people. I lived alone once because rent was not very expensive (it was not cheap either), but it was only 10m2 (it was a studio in very good conditions, but too small).

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 10:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
Jabberwokky wrote:
Really? Although I am trying to understand how tasteless food would 'taste'? I think I understand, its a non-tasty taste ...

blandly pasty. blandly chewy like eating cardboard.

Really?

I learnt something new today :nerdy:

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 2:21 pm

I have a mortgage on a single bedroom flat of 74m2, and a vehicle loan. I'm doing ok materialistic wise. Yet I do need someone to buy me clothes. I hate buying it.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 1:58 am

I am, yes. Did not initially have any choice in the matter but I survived, I learned, I am okay. The short version is that I was 17, living with my mom, she met a man, married him, moved out, covered the last few months rent on the apartment while i finished highschool and before the lease expired, then for me it was obtain employment and own apartment or move in with father. Which, to me, was closer to an option between get a job/apartment or live on the street. The street would have been preferable to living with father.

Anyway. I did it. I am proud to say that I managed, regardless of the circumstances. I like my current job. I own a car. My apartment is reasonably nice.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 7:12 am

Now there's a role model! I bet you have lots of stories to tell, MrStewart.

kittygirl0811
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2012, 4:45 pm

I am self-sufficient. I've been living alone for 6 years now, 4 before that I was living with my one brother (who I also suspect is AS). We both have managed steady jobs and I pay all my own bills. At this point I could never move back in with my parents so self-sufficiency is important to me.

Bartolome

14 Oct 2012, 9:04 pm

see my post... I am newly self sufficient

MasterSynaps
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2013, 11:47 am

I'm somewhat obssessive about self sufficiency. I don't like asking for help with things. I find ways to get around doing 2person jobs on my own I used to be self employed. These days I recieve disability pension, though not for aspergers.
I live alone in the forest. I built my own house, I made up my own solar power system. I do most of my own repairs to things. I'd grow my own food but the critters keep eating it whenever I try. I like making stuff.
I don't have any trouble handling the day to day business of life stuff, though I'm a bit chaotic with it

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 7:55 pm

MasterSynaps wrote:
I'm somewhat obssessive about self sufficiency. I don't like asking for help with things. I find ways to get around doing 2person jobs on my own I used to be self employed. These days I recieve disability pension, though not for aspergers. I live alone in the forest. I built my own house, I made up my own solar power system. I do most of my own repairs to things. I'd grow my own food but the critters keep eating it whenever I try. I like making stuff. I don't have any trouble handling the day to day business of life stuff, though I'm a bit chaotic with it

to keep the critters away from your stuff, build an elevated cache, just like dick proenneke did, as described in his "alone in the wilderness" tale.

MasterSynaps
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2013, 8:37 pm

auntblabby wrote:
MasterSynaps wrote:
I'm somewhat obssessive about self sufficiency. I don't like asking for help with things. I find ways to get around doing 2person jobs on my own I used to be self employed. These days I recieve disability pension, though not for aspergers. I live alone in the forest. I built my own house, I made up my own solar power system. I do most of my own repairs to things. I'd grow my own food but the critters keep eating it whenever I try. I like making stuff. I don't have any trouble handling the day to day business of life stuff, though I'm a bit chaotic with it

to keep the critters away from your stuff, build an elevated cache, just like dick proenneke did, as described in his "alone in the wilderness" tale.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've got plans along that line, but other things are in the queue before it, and food is cheap here so it's not critical from that angle, it'spurely asthetic and quality related. One day ( he says gazing into the distance)

tigerlily
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2013, 5:47 pm

I think I would describe myself as self insufficient but I really have no choice.

Mahogany
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Mar 2013, 8:13 pm

MasterSynaps wrote:
I'm somewhat obssessive about self sufficiency. I don't like asking for help with things. I find ways to get around doing 2person jobs on my own I used to be self employed. These days I recieve disability pension, though not for aspergers.
I live alone in the forest. I built my own house, I made up my own solar power system. I do most of my own repairs to things. I'd grow my own food but the critters keep eating it whenever I try. I like making stuff.
I don't have any trouble handling the day to day business of life stuff, though I'm a bit chaotic with it

I have very similar sentiments. I have a place in the woods as well, backe dup to a creek and national forest land. I have learned to do most everything I needed to to renovate the house, and then keep things going. Partly because I don't like to ask for help, or to need help, and partly because I love learning new things. I have started to have trouble with the day to day stuff though, as I have gotten more anxious, and am not sure how to get things back under control.

I do like living with a partner, but roommates are a different thing, and often too annoying to be worth it.
I need my space, and people to respect that need. Also, I like it best if there is someone special there, but not necessarily talking or interacting with me. Hmmm. That sounds like I want a cat. (3 are plenty!)

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2013, 11:46 am

I have struggled with this for years. I cannot seem to maintain self-sufficiency. I was doing well a few years ago when I had a well-paying job, but lost it due to my AS traits. I am currently at my least sufficient since my teens. I am literally living on charity. I am overwhelmed by what it would take to get a diagnosis, get help, and dig myself out of this hole when even NTs can't find work. I abhor the idea of going on disability, but given my track record, I may not have a choice.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 75 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)