Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2012, 10:45 am

A lot of times I feel as though no matter how much effort I put into articulating what I want to tell someone, the meaning just won't convey. Its like my brain just can't put my thoughts into words fast enough so other people can understand. I've come to the conclusion that this is probably why I don't talk much, it just takes monumental effort for little result (and a lot of times negative). Typing is easier because I can spend all the time I want thinking about how best to say something, but still... I feel language's weakness when trying to transcribe these thoughts. Ugh... what a day I've had already lol

cheers everyone, hope you all have a wonderful day :D

identity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 1:47 pm

Yes I often feel like this. In real life conversations when there's groups of people I often miss the point to say something I think, and then it moves on and it's too late. I also feel that when I'm trying to express sincerity it can sound neutral or insincere which I find very frustrating. I have trouble expressing what I want to say online aswell though even with this post. :oops:
Hope you have a good day too devark :)

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Apr 2012, 4:39 pm

I have this issue a lot when trying to describe my thought processes or complex stuff (like physics or higher dimensional figures) so I end up just using loose approximations and hope its clear enough.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 5:06 pm

devark wrote:
A lot of times I feel as though no matter how much effort I put into articulating what I want to tell someone, the meaning just won't convey. Its like my brain just can't put my thoughts into words fast enough so other people can understand. I've come to the conclusion that this is probably why I don't talk much, it just takes monumental effort for little result (and a lot of times negative). Typing is easier because I can spend all the time I want thinking about how best to say something, but still... I feel language's weakness when trying to transcribe these thoughts. Ugh... what a day I've had already lol

cheers everyone, hope you all have a wonderful day :D

Yep, I find it can be very difficult to convey the meaning in my thoughts using words. Often I just use the closest I can find and hope the other person can extrapolate from my words what I mean.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 8:31 pm

I feel that a lot of the time, even if I believe that I've correctly explained something, the person will ask me what I mean again. They have absolutely no idea where I'm coming from, especially if I'm excited or nervous about the topic. I see what you guys mean about pointlessly explaining. -.- All that effort and nothing to show for it.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 8:54 pm

I'm the same way. I always screw up what I want to say or forget what I'm going to say or stumble over my words. I like writing things because I can put thought into what I want to say and say it properly.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 9:13 pm

I feel that way frequently also. In writing, I am usually able to convey my meaning very accurately. However, when I'm just talking, I guess because I don't have the same amount of time to plan/revise a response, it can be hard for me to get my point across.

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2012, 9:14 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
I'm the same way. I always screw up what I want to say or forget what I'm going to say or stumble over my words. I like writing things because I can put thought into what I want to say and say it properly.

Ditto!

Its hard for me in person because I need to think about it. This one guy got super pissed because I should have said all these things and when I wrote about it later he said it was unbelievable since I could have said it right then and there. I always have a hard time in group situations and with people who are quick on their feet when we have issues. They come up with a million things and I don't realize the extent of what they say since I have to process it, that I always feel downright foolish when I walk away. It makes sense why some people like to treat me like a childish ret*d, but at the same time frustrating since I know I am probably twice as smart.

Feline1982
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2012, 6:55 am

OMG.

I'm really amused of the amount of facts here is. And how much similarities you guys have with me.

I'm also having hard time figuring out how to say what I'm thinking. Feels like I need to make the whole thing clear in my head, word by word before I can say it out loud.

Before I used to just remain in silence because I have this stupid disability, but now I have tried to start talking. With bad concequences. I start talking and all I get out is some irrational blaablaa, and then I start saying same thing over and over again.

And I have this thing with writing too. As you can see, this post is very stupidly built. And it's not only because of my bad English, it's same moronic thing with my Finnish too...

Mooby blues: Melancholy man

(Feline is Not-native Englishspeakker, excuse my freaky grammar or någonting)