Anybody have really poor fine motor skills?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 1:15 pm

franknfurter wrote:
handwriting it my big problem, always got upset when I was younger because I was the only girl I knew with awful handwriting. did not learn how to write my name till later than everyone else, I remember tracing my name still while everyone else could write theirs already.

Ever notice those girls who have that round, bubbly writing that can't have been done by a male? I take one look at that sort of handwriting and I just know that my brain couldn't possibly tell my hand to write in a similar way. Girls who write like this:

That said, I'm glad my spelling is better than it is in that example.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 7:10 pm

bnky wrote:
If I try to swim anything but a weird personal form of breaststroke I just go into an ineffectual flap. I swim MUCH better in dams, rivers and the sea than in sparkley clean swimming pool.
Is swimming fine or gross motor movements

Swimming, riding a bike and such are gross (large) motor movements. Fine motor movements are small movements of your hands and fingers, such as hand writing and tying shoes.

I am excellent at drawing but not so good at writing. They had to put custom grips on my pencil s in school. It took me until my late teens or twenties to master chopsticks and I still can't snap my fingers.

And I can remember my mom dressing me and tying my shoes because I had trouble with it. We were living in California by the time I learned to dress myself so I was at least 4.

And I remember my mom having the insight to let me eat with my fingers, probably because I have an uncle who suffered brain damage at birth so my mom grew up with having to accommodate disabilities. They didn't have a name for Asperger's yet but it didn't take much to see that while I am smart I struggle with physical tasks and interaction with others.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 7:20 pm

pensieve wrote:
I hate chopping food in the kitchen in front of people. Usually because they try to show me the right way to do it.
It'

I can't chop onions the right way. I have to cut them in to slices then stack a few slices and cut them in to narrow wedges.

SG78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2013, 7:36 pm

-My handwriting is pretty good if I write in uppercase. I was trained as a draftsman.
-I'm a very good bicyclist. I MTB and road bike long distances regularly.

That's where it ends.

-I'm terrible at team sports. Always have been. Bad hand-eye coordination. Tried to play rec league hockey for a few years, but I was just terrible at it. I understand the game, but I was always freaked out on the rink. Only sport I was OK at was basketball.
-I have limited motor skills with my fingers. I can't do the Vulcan Salute, and I can barely snap my fingers.
-I drop things a lot.
-For the longest time, I was unable to eat without making a huge mess on my face.
-My mechanical skills are limited, as I have a lack of feel and coordination for putting small things in tight spaces.
- I am a very clumsy runner.
-I've always been bad at kicking footballs and soccer balls.
-I couldn't do pull-ups in elementary school.

18 Nov 2013, 8:00 pm

When the international trading model changes into small business sale, wholesale corsets are very popular and easy no matter on Europe or America. And most ladies like to match the fashion corset with wholesale stockings to build up slender shape.

Kalispell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2016, 4:19 pm

I've always dropped things and been called clumsy because of it. I have figured out that I need to REMEMBER there is something in my hand, or else I just let it go. So if I'm holding an aluminum soda can, for example, and I start talking to someone I may drop the can. Or if I've got a hammer in my hand and I'm going to another room, I say to myself inside my head "It's in my hand, it's in my hand, it's in my hand", and maybe look at the hammer...until I get to where I'll be using it.

For years I have squeezed the top of my soda cans, creating sort of an hour-glass effect at the top of the can. That way it's harder for the can to fall through my hand if I loosen my grip. Also, it creates a pressure on my hand from the can being pulled down by gravity, and that helps remind me that there's something in my hand.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 5:00 pm

My fine motor skills are excellent. But my natural handwriting is not. Only if I write very slowly and carefully is my handwriting nice. And at that speed, it's really almost worthless.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 6:56 pm

If I really work at it, my handwriting is quite legible. If not, it's still legible--but pretty sloppy.

I'm a good typist, though.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 7:07 pm

My fine motor skills are well, fine. It's my more general motor skills that are messed up, such as hand coordination and making sure I don't trip over my own legs. It doesn't help that I don't have very good situational awareness. Rarely a day goes by that I don't bump into something. :?

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 7:12 pm

I have erratic, mostly poor motor skills in anything not involving eye-hand coordination (which is quite good).

-Horrible handwriting that's more like my own form of shorthand
-Cant draw to save my life
-While I'm ok at video games, I'm really bad at pressure sensitive things. I burn through PS controllers because I push the stick way, way to hard constantly. On the same note I struggle to accelerate smoothly in a car when moving from a stopped position. It's very herky-jerky.
-Cant ride a bike, swim or skate. My feet must be on the ground or I must be moving in a machine
-I have a hard time hammering nails or screwing screws. I can do it, but it takes awhile and I get frustrated.
-I type very, very loudly (so I'm told)
-I overall tend to do things "too hard"
-Even though I've smoked weed for almost 20 years, I only got ok at rolling joints in the last couple of years.

Yet despite all of this I was pretty good at certain sports as a kid/teen. Baseball and football in particular, as I catch and throw quite well (or used to when I was younger). But that's about it.

svaughan
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2017, 5:35 am

I'm good at vide games but I do think that is slightly different somehow from other types of coordination centric activities. My handwriting is awful, an insult to a 7 year old. Terrible at team sports and didn't learn to tie my shoe laces until 14. Sometimes I think it's to do with AS brains thinking too fast for our bodies. When I practice something though I can often become very coordinated at it better than NT's. Just takes me longer and more thinking is needed in the early stages of learning a practical activity.