Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

aspecialspace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2012, 6:12 pm

Hi everyone. My son is 8 and has autism. I am developing a training for NT teachers and students where they do activities that mirror what some of the sensory parts of autism feel like. I realty hope that experiencing it just a little will make everyone understand more. I cant figure out how to simulate the difficulty reading facial expressions and body language. Motor skills are mimicked by wearing construction gloves. Visual distortion by looking through binoculars backwards. Texture by attaching Velcro inside a shirt. But how can we experience what it is like trying to read faces? Any ideas?

RainShadow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2012, 6:16 pm

Maybe try using flash cards where the answer doesn't match the face. I mean the guy could look angry, but the answer is frustrated, or something like that. That way they get the answer wrong, hopefully helping them see it's not easy to get through conversations and lessons when the idea of the facial cue doesn't match what is actually being shown.

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

17 Apr 2012, 6:18 pm

Masks?
Try to get some the pressure of messing up too. What might seem like a little mistake can loose you freinds or make everyone else freak out.

aspecialspace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2012, 6:39 pm

I made a couple masks. . . . Angry and happy but I act the opposite when wearing them. I know it feels confusing to NTs but is that at all an accurate depiction? I know ill never be able to really replicate any of it but I want to get as close as possible. Also check out the video Experience Autism. My son helped produce and edit it. What do you think of it? Is it close? Its on our website and on youtube. I really want this to make a difference.

aspecialspace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2012, 6:40 pm

I made a couple masks. . . . Angry and happy but I act the opposite when wearing them. I know it feels confusing to NTs but is that at all an accurate depiction? I know ill never be able to really replicate any of it but I want to get as close as possible. Also check out the video Experience Autism. My son helped produce and edit it. What do you think of it? Is it close? Its on our website and on youtube. I really want this to make a difference.

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

23 Apr 2012, 6:51 pm

How to I find your youtube channel / blog ?

aspecialspace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Apr 2012, 7:21 pm

Our website is www.aspecialspace.org and youtube is youtube.com/User/aspecialspace

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 8:54 pm

Maybe you could also try the opposite with your son? Like an activity where sees NTs interpreting facial expressions?