Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2012, 2:40 pm

I like FPS games, nothing makes me feel more satisfied than watching the pink mist of what ever is left of the guy I hit with my .50 in my scope. I like to snipe!

I use my eyes and ears to play, I noticed a lot of people tend to not use their ears, I stick knives in those peoples ears.

I play Battlefield 2 and 3, Sims 3, Sim City 4 and C&C Generals.

In BF2 I change the voice over settings from both to english, the constant "MOBOOBOOLA!! !!" drives me nuts and I turn down the volume on voice over and effects.

Sims3 I turn the effects volume way down as well as the voices, I turn the music up though because I play my own in-game.

I haven't played any games for months though. I can only play in the morning, unless I don't have plans on sleeping.

Fluke83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jun 2012, 11:02 pm

In the appropriate games I always go for a rogue type character, and do either bows or sniper rifles.

To use the mass effect series as an example I have been able to do a playthrough as a renegade character, but that was more something I did just because I wanted both experiences, but my renegade character was more about going through the motions and consistently choosing the renegade options.

I usually always play the good guy and really ROLEplay and immerse myself in that, even when I play more or less shady characters I at least like to imagine they're the good guy, even though they're head of various thieves guilds and the like....

I also use games in much the same way as my favorite movies or tv shows, I'll put them on to ground and calm me, much like a stim.

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2012, 5:56 am

In RPGs I focus on increasing intelligence and intelligence related skills. In New Vegas I built up my science skill first. Also when I played World of Darkness my character has a high intelligence score, this is because I make characters that represent what I want to be and that is very VERY intelligent.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 7:39 am

I play with the sound muted. Happiest with a touchpad, or an iPad.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 8:13 am

i look for flaws in the programming of the game, and i exploit those flaws to my advantage.

i pay particular attention to potential triggers, and i always save a game at a point where i think i will activate a trigger. then i look for ways to circumvent those triggers.

an example:
at the moment, i am playing a rather old game called "spellforce- order of dawn", and after about the 4th level, it became very arduous because as soon as i activated a monument and started creating workers to build the buildings, and collect the resources that i needed to produce an army, i was being swamped by enemies and it was only a "cut throat" micromanaged resistance that could fend off the attackers advances, and they occurred every 5 minutes.

i was thinking "this game is for thick heads who just want to pump out soldiers and listen to the sound of blades eternally thwacking each other", when i suddenly realized that it was my action of activating a monument that started the spawn process of the enemies.

my character regenerates health and is quite capable of attacking all the spawn sites if i do it carefully and with thought. no new units near the spawn sites are created if i have not yet activated a monument, and so if i lure the default defending squad to their deaths by tempting them and running away to a measured distance, and fighting them in a rarefied fashion where i easily outclass them, and then i return unchallenged to their empty camp and destroy all their buildings, and a lightning strike graphic indicates that that spawn site is destroyed, then i can complete the level solo.

but if i activate a monument and build an army, it will take many arduous hours of continuous battles that are always extremely damaging to my armies......

i found a way to beat the game because i found a way to beat the code of the game.
i have exploited flaws in coding in every game i have played.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 10:35 am

b9, is that really a flaw in coding or just an alternative strategy? =P

Also, I play games in ways that challenge my mind and reflexes. My biggest problem with Skyrim is that it is both repetitive AND easy. The non-combat skills aren't that useful (and feel outright useless after Fallout) and a few perks in a combat skill makes you unbeatable. A good example of my gameplay style is starting out in Fallout 3. Whether I'm going to be good or evil, I always immediately take a 10mm from the vault and clear out the super duper mart with it for Moira. It is a hard route, but it provides a ton of good supplies, and I am more than capable of doing it on a character with a crappy small guns skill. Sometimes I will even choose to limit myself for challenge. In Soul Silver, I only used 4 pokemon through all of Johto and the first round of the elite four. Making difficult choices allows me to power game without making the game too easy. Power gaming the types and skills and stats of 6 pokemon means that nothing in game can challenge you, and that is boring.

As for story play, I try to always be in character. I choose a character to have in mind as I play when I name a character. This is to keep myself from spending too much time over-analyzing every dialogue and story choice I am presented with. Sometimes it is a character from another piece of media. Sometimes it is a character based within the game world (like my stormcloak aldmeri battle mage who was stripped of rank and powers for a personal conflict with a nobleman and is returning for revenge). If I just try to be me, I end up muddling through an undecided storyline, unable to fully agree with any given side and disliking all of my set options.

DragonB
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Aug 2012, 2:35 pm

If I need to choose a path I will choose the left because I hope it is right. lolz

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Aug 2012, 6:05 pm

I would love to have a surround sound system hooked up, so I can play Skyrim with a more sound-based experience. :P

Even now, I leave audio settings on stereo so that one speaker produces the noise instead of the other.

I always choose efficiency over power, like dual-wielding weapons instead of getting a stronger, but klunky weapon.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 6:12 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I would love to have a surround sound system hooked up, so I can play Skyrim with a more sound-based experience. :P

Even now, I leave audio settings on stereo so that one speaker produces the noise instead of the other.

I always choose efficiency over power, like dual-wielding weapons instead of getting a stronger, but klunky weapon.

An ebony sword with a fire enchantment, and one with a frost, I burn and freeze them at the same time :twisted:

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Aug 2012, 6:23 pm

Titangeek wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:

An ebony sword with a fire enchantment, and one with a frost, I burn and freeze them at the same time :twisted:

I have two ebony swords as well, one that drains stamina and one that drains health. :twisted:

BrokenEnvoke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2012, 2:01 am

In every game I ALWAYS try to do the sneaky dick-ass-pacifist-thief.
For example in Deus Ex/Human Revolution I always went the non-lethal, undetected route.
Or on Skyrim I went the dick-ass thief style and pick pocketed the damsel in distress after saving her.
Also every time there is an option to play as a necromancer in an rpg game, it would be my first pick.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 8:01 am

I do rush and attack tactics which never really do well for me as I get frustrated why my blitz attacks aren't effective. :(

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 8:16 am

In most RPG games I tend to pick characters with a lot of defense, and tank out everything. While upgrading my defense to the point where I'm a unstoppable tank. :P Sure I'm slow, and my attack is not worth much. But knowing the fact that I can take almost any hit without fear is almost comforting.

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 8:26 am

I just goof around in most games, I'm usalluy not one to bother beating everything in a game.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 9:53 am

I get through the story as fast as possible while doing the best things about the game using walkthroughs, so as to not waste my time while still getting my 10 hours of enjoyment out of my money and time.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 6:48 pm

I play with a trackpad and no sound - it's remarkable how many games rely on the physical architecture of the mouse for playability. Perhaps the most playable laptop dungeon crawl is Torchlight - I've high hopes for Torchlight II, if they ever deign to release it. I'd given Steam my twenty bucks advance purchase before I realised that by doing so I was funding their further delay.