Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 3:48 pm

I tend to use my sense of hearing more than sight and tend to go with the action route in games that have the option. My upgrades are also usually on weaponry first.

Also, has anyone told you that you play games oddly?

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

rpgaymer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2012, 4:08 pm

This is interesting... I never thought about whether I react to sight or sound more in a game. I do tend to tweak the sound settings in my games though, because I don't like loud obnoxious sound effects.

I spend about 80% of my game time playing rpgs, most of which are western. I always choose a rogue character, and focus on a bow if I can. First thing I upgrade is anything that affects speach/persuasion or anything that increases the rate at which I can level up. After that, I like a fast, stealthy character, so I uprade whatever can help in that department. Anything left is for my weapon, health, defense, etc.

I also always try to be heroic/good, although sometimes I let my guy be a little morally grey if it's for the greater good. I read an article about how it's difficult for pinko bleeding heart liberals to play an evil character, and it's true in my case :P I tried a new file with a renegade Shep in ME3, and I could not bring myself to try even half of the renegade choices because they were so douchey... Punching that female reporter comes to mind.

Anyone else try to make their character look as much like them as possible? I spend hours in character creators, because immersion is really important to me.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:40 pm

Largely depends on the game, really. I have tons of very specific strategies, at least for games that really require you to use strategy anyway. In Fallout 3 I find it much easier to use Speech and Charisma and Intelligence at first until you get some of the bigger weaponry, whereas in New Vegas going unarmed is much more fun while dragging Boone and Eddy along. I don't stick to one kind of general character.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Farwhall
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 May 2012, 1:52 pm

I get funny looks for organising my inventory and hoarding expendable items beyond what can really be classed as reason...

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 2:46 pm

I generally do some research about the most efficient way to build my character with the endgame in mind. I enjoy being stealthy and using fighting tactics beyond button-mashing, although sometimes I like just building a lot of armor and doing just that. I'm a completionist of sorts, I'll try to do everything that is possible unless it's an annoying minigame or something.

ThePurpleOrange
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 May 2012, 11:55 am

I turn all music off usually and for Skyrim I created a stealthy character which uses a bow to hit from a distance and then move to a different position without being detected. I try to do the same in all first/third-person games when possible.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 10:42 pm

Depends on the game, but I usually like to ether pick of the bad guys with a sniper rifle from a long way away, or go in circles around an area whittling my way through guards going inwards. Or if my guy is fairly over powered (as is the case in Fallout), I just blast my way through the front door and anything in my way :twisted:

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 10:58 pm

Yeah, playing smart and strategically early game until your rpg character is op, and then doing stupid things without getting killed, that's quite fun =D

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 11:01 pm

Shatbat wrote:
Yeah, playing smart and strategically early game until your rpg character is op, and then doing stupid things without getting killed, that's quite fun =D

Me + mini nuke + sniper rifle = [img][800:1180]http://www.borev.net/boom.jpg[/img]

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 5:28 pm

A lot of times on online team deathmatch I kill my teammates just to laugh. When I played Halo 3 online I was always getting booted for "friendly fire" lol. When I'm playing older Mortal Kombats online against random people I usually do a taunting dance which consists of just hitting the (down) button in rapid succession.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 7:11 pm

i like to outsmart people,

playing sniper elite 2 in mp is quite fun when you shoot at an unsuspecting victim, only to miss and for him to run for cover, only behind that cover you placed a tripwire and you sit smirking as a distant boom and the kill ticker is all thats left of that poor sod :lol:

often though your traps just lie wasted as your head is hit by someones bullet.

as for teamkilling, some fo the most douchy thing to do, you do realize a lot of games would kick you for that?

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 9:13 pm

When I play roleplaying games I tend to go for a magic ranged character or barring that an archer of some type. I use to like the rogue/assassin archetype too but I haven't played one in forever, at least a decade. Don't play the shooty games like Call of Duty or Battlefield 3 so I can't comment there. If its a srpg I always like to use a mixture of exotic units, like monsters (if they're good at all) and more magic supplemented by a few physical tanks that are my vanguards. Playing against others I have several approaches, depending on the type of game and scenario: playing keep away+being obnoxious, like back when I played WoW I LOVED frost pvp, it was so damn fun just using all my snares and blinking away then iceblocking in a crowd of people who tried to wail on me. I enjoy a game of attrition too, but that can be harder to pull off and requires more discipline and paying attention to your opponent and knowing all your skills. I use to play a warlock so it was kinda like that for me and in my pokemon days I liked tactics like sandstorm+toxic and stealthrock.

If its a jet game I always go for third or fourth generation jets, favoring Russian stuff or the F-15 eagle. I hate using the really overpowered fictional superjets in Ace Combat.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 9:55 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrs7LnmdNy8[/youtube]

When I played WoW, my main was a protection warrior. At around lv 30 I partnered with a frost mage for leveling, I'd get all the aggro without breaking a sweat, but her life went down fast whenever she got attacked. But whenever we dueled it would go similar to that video, she destroyed me and I couldn't even get half of her life. I had to ask in the guild forums for advice.

Then I intercepted whenever she blinked, used trinket when she used her AoE frost, bandaged when she ice blocked, kept rend always on, and finally stood a chance~ but damn it was hard.

Btw, is that avatar a photo of yourself? You look very... german =P.

Widman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2012, 3:04 pm

well. it depends largely on the game type. In Rpg's i usually play a Tank/fighter that focuses on melee and heavy armor. Mostly because i do fight in that way when i do historical reenactment.i also despise magic users and i hate playing as mages and the like.In shooters i mostly also fill a tank or heavy attack role but i also enjoy playing support and sniper roles.in RTS games like Total war i am an stout elitist for most of the time almost always being the "few in number but masters in battle " nations/factions, but i sometimes do the complete opposite and play the "Sovjetunion during WW2" style nations as well.
to answer your second question. I often get complaints that i demand to much realism and seriousness, i often get far to deeply immersed in my characters/faction/nation and i also sometimes hoard and i also always play chaotic good characters as that is really pretty much what i am in real life. What else do i do?
i also always have preferred strategy and tactics before strait on action. this usually gets my the tactician/strategist role in the teams and groups i play in.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 3:32 pm

I've been told that I have fast reflexes when playing games which is good I guess. Oh, I also get really really competitive which I don't like that's why I hardly want to play video games with certain people in the first place because once I start my competitiveness comes right out and I hate it because it's just a game.

Kein_Mitleid
Raven
Raven

26 May 2012, 1:07 am

i press the button and kill the bad guys