How is Liberalism diffrent in Europe then in America

Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:31 pm

Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:
Thank you all for the posts and the new information I so wish America was like Europe I love Europe the history the people the culture everything about it I would love to visit the UK England Germany France ect such culture I mean real culture something America seems to lack in my opinon.

England is in the UK.

Oh how silly of me I do get the two confused some times.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:36 pm

Joker wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:
Thank you all for the posts and the new information I so wish America was like Europe I love Europe the history the people the culture everything about it I would love to visit the UK England Germany France ect such culture I mean real culture something America seems to lack in my opinon.

England is in the UK.

If you ever go to the UK, do not call a Scotsman or an Irishman; "A brit", "English" or "British. Also, do not wear clothing out of sheep skin or have a perm when going to visit Wales.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:38 pm

TM wrote:
If you ever go to the UK, do not call a Scotsman or an Irishman; "A brit", "English" or "British.

Some Irishmen are very, very determined that they are British. As are some Scotsmen - there is a considerable Unionist movement in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

And by the same token, don't call me Scottish! :D

TM
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:42 pm

Tequila wrote:
TM wrote:
If you ever go to the UK, do not call a Scotsman or an Irishman; "A brit", "English" or "British.

Some Irishmen are very, very determined that they are British. As are some Scotsmen - there is a considerable Unionist movement in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

And by the same token, don't call me Scottish! :D

I'm just saying that the chance of being punched in the face is smaller if you call an Irishman Irish and a Scot a Scot. The anti-unionists tend to be more.. aggressive.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:42 pm

They seem a lot like the sort of party I'd like to join. I notice they are neither pro- nor anti-EU though. Is this a contentious issue within the FrP?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:47 pm

TM wrote:
I'm just saying that the chance of being punched in the face is smaller if you call an Irishman Irish and a Scot a Scot. The anti-unionists tend to be more.. aggressive.

Some Irishmen in Ireland don't like even being called Irish. They don't consider themselves Irish, even though they and their descendants have lived in Ireland for centuries. Go figure.

And so on.

You should have no problems calling a Scotsman a Scot though - unless he's from Berwick-upon-Tweed. ;)

TM
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:54 pm

Tequila wrote:
They seem a lot like the sort of party I'd like to join. I notice they are neither pro- nor anti-EU though. Is this a contentious issue within the FrP?

Not really, FRP has taken the position that such a decision should be made through a public referendum and that such a vote is outside of party jurisdiction. Some members are for joining, some are against and some think that Norway should get out of the EFTA agreement and rather negotiate other trade agrements similar to Switzerland. This is mostly due to the free flow of labor parts of the agreement in addition to nervousness about the Norwegian welfare state model being exploited.

I vote FRP or "Right" depending on what I consider the major issues and how I think the election will play out. I will be voting FRP in the coming election, because I don't want to give "Right" an option to weasel out of a FRP-Right coalition if such a thing is possible. Immigration may be big or small in the coming election, but the economy is going to be big, the expansion of government and the incompetence of public service will most likely also be big.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

TM wrote:
I'm just saying that the chance of being punched in the face is smaller if you call an Irishman Irish and a Scot a Scot.

But what happens if you call a Scot Scotch?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 7:01 pm

TM wrote:
Tequila wrote:

Not really, FRP has taken the position that such a decision should be made through a public referendum and that such a vote is outside of party jurisdiction. Some members are for joining, some are against and some think that Norway should get out of the EFTA agreement and rather negotiate other trade agrements similar to Switzerland. This is mostly due to the free flow of labor parts of the agreement in addition to nervousness about the Norwegian welfare state model being exploited.

Good luck.

Is the anti-EU faction big in Norway?

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 7:02 pm

TM wrote:
Joker wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:

England is in the UK.

If you ever go to the UK, do not call a Scotsman or an Irishman; "A brit", "English" or "British. Also, do not wear clothing out of sheep skin or have a perm when going to visit Wales.

True the people that are Irish that live in the UK find it insulting being called Irish because they have been similated into british culture and have lost tough with their Irish roots.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 7:05 pm

Tequila wrote:
TM wrote:
Tequila wrote:

Good luck.

Yeah, we've had 2 referendums so far, both no. The last numbers I heard said that 3/4 Norwegians are not in favor of EU membership. There is also a very good argument for EU membership and even the EFTA treaty being unconstitutional.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 7:07 pm

TM wrote:
Tequila wrote:
TM wrote:
Tequila wrote:

Good luck.

Yeah, we've had 2 referendums so far, both no. The last numbers I heard said that 3/4 Norwegians are not in favor of EU membership,

Interesting I never Knew Norway favored EU membership in america some americans want to be apart of the EU again.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 7:23 pm

Joker wrote:
TM wrote:
Tequila wrote:
TM wrote:
Tequila wrote:

Good luck.

Yeah, we've had 2 referendums so far, both no. The last numbers I heard said that 3/4 Norwegians are not in favor of EU membership,

Interesting I never Knew Norway favored EU membership in america some americans want to be apart of the EU again.

Some Americans want to be part of the EU? .....again?
WTF are you talking about?

The USA was never part of the EU, so how could we be part of the EU "again"?

Never heard of any American expressing desire to join the EU nor have I heard any European invitiation to the US to do so. Nor would make any sense for either party to want that.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 7:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Joker wrote:
TM wrote:
Tequila wrote:
TM wrote:
Tequila wrote:

Good luck.

Some Americans want to be part of the EU? .....again?
WTF are you talking about?

The USA was never part of the EU, so how could we be part of the EU "again"?

Never heard of any American expressing desire to join the EU nor have I heard any European invitiation to the US to do so. Nor would make any sense for either party to want that.

I know of some that do because America has a population mostly of people with familyes that immagrated to the states they want to be apart of EU becasue of their culture america is just a newer version of Europe really.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 7:27 pm

The European Union and the United States of America established diplomatic relations as early as 1953,

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 7:51 pm

Joker wrote:
The European Union and the United States of America established diplomatic relations as early as 1953,

The EU exists since 1993. It already existed as the European Economic Community before that point, but I think that doesn't date back as far as 1953 either.