Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 14, 2012
Posts: 1415
Location: My own version of reality

23 Apr 2012, 5:11 pm

Mummy_Peanut brought up that egg whites would be better to eat than egg yolks (at least saturated fat wise). I started looking into it and so far I am really confused.

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/whole-eggs ... hites.html
http://www.fitsugar.com/Egg-White-Vs-Eg ... ter-364527



thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Nov 26, 2008
Posts: 736

23 Apr 2012, 5:15 pm

you should eat eggs with the yokes cause yokes are nice.



Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 14, 2012
Posts: 1415
Location: My own version of reality

23 Apr 2012, 5:20 pm

Looks like pastured eggs are the way to go:
1/3 less cholesterol
1/4 less saturated fat
2/3 more vitamin A
2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
3 times more vitamin E
7 times more beta carotene
4 to 6 times as much vitamin D



MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jan 03, 2009
Posts: 9896
Location: Stoke, England (sometimes :P)

23 Apr 2012, 5:21 pm

It's simple really, just don't cook eggs in a way where you need to add more fat, like frying or adding butter to scrambled eggs. Just poach them or boil them.


_________________
What film do atheists watch on Christmas?
Coincidence on 34th street.


Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 14, 2012
Posts: 1415
Location: My own version of reality

23 Apr 2012, 5:28 pm

MONKEY wrote:
It's simple really, just don't cook eggs in a way where you need to add more fat, like frying or adding butter to scrambled eggs. Just poach them or boil them.


scrambled is the easiest, mostly depends on the pans. I have to add olive oil or it would be really aggravating to clean. Poached or boiled eggs taste weird.



Last edited by Delphiki on 23 Apr 2012, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 06, 2012
Posts: 4036
Location: Scandinavia

23 Apr 2012, 5:43 pm

Egg yolks contain a lot of nice nutrients. :) You should boil your eggs, though; one table spoon of olive oil, rapeseed oil or similar contains 100 calories and the frying alters the oil's chemical formula, rendering it unhealthy.



gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Aug 21, 2008
Posts: 1237
Location: UK

24 Apr 2012, 11:07 am

Yolks contain all the good stuff like protein though right?...

You can even cook eggs in the oven like a fried egg. Just crack open the eggs on an oven tray with some foil on it and stick em in the oven for a few mins. Is a healthy way of having egg and chips. :P I normally stick some paprika and seasoning on em so they aren't bland.


_________________
Am usually bored so PMs are welcome!

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...


VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Nov 20, 2008
Posts: 2059

24 Apr 2012, 11:13 am

There are different views on things like this. Some think fat is bad and should be avoided.

Some think fat is not that bad and excess carbs should be avoided. Or go ahead with the eggs but maybe not a side of hash browns and toast.



snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Oct 12, 2011
Posts: 2328

24 Apr 2012, 12:13 pm

Eat the whole egg.


_________________
*some atheist walks outside and picks up stick*

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"


Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: May 05, 2009
Posts: 5893

24 Apr 2012, 2:16 pm

Delphiki wrote:
Looks like pastured eggs are the way to go:
1/3 less cholesterol
1/4 less saturated fat
2/3 more vitamin A
2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
3 times more vitamin E
7 times more beta carotene
4 to 6 times as much vitamin D


:thumleft: The more time the chicken gets to spend wandering around outside eating bugs and other bits of nature, the better the egg is for you. The more corn the chicken eats and the longer it stays cooped up, the worse the egg is for you.

So find eggs from pastured/ free roaming chickens and eat the yolk and the white cooked any old way. Pretty much all the unhealthiness of eating animals and their products (eggs, cheese etc.) comes from eating animals that haven't lived a healthy life. The healthier their life, the healthier they are to eat.

If you want to eat lots of eggs yolks and whites) without worrying you are damaging your health, eat eggs that come from a small farm. Farmers markets and farm stands are a good source for this. Hopefully you can find some in your area.



Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Oct 24, 2010
Posts: 1902

24 Apr 2012, 3:33 pm

Egg whites to my knowledge lack the cholesterol that Egg yolks have. Egg whites are high in protein. Many people consume egg whites to lose weight, gain or maintain mass because egg whites are considered a "Clean" food. I usually make them scrambled, with spray on a nonstick pan. A easier way to get the stuff stuck on the pan off is to run scolding hot water on the pan, combined with a really good Dish Soap. Wait a couple hours and scrape.


_________________
Don't you mind people grinnin' in your face


snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Oct 12, 2011
Posts: 2328

24 Apr 2012, 5:13 pm

If you're worried about eating the egg yolk, then maybe there are other more pressing health issues at hand.


_________________
*some atheist walks outside and picks up stick*

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"


Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 14, 2012
Posts: 1415
Location: My own version of reality

24 Apr 2012, 10:49 pm

Pondering wrote:
Egg whites to my knowledge lack the cholesterol that Egg yolks have. Egg whites are high in protein. Many people consume egg whites to lose weight, gain or maintain mass because egg whites are considered a "Clean" food. I usually make them scrambled, with spray on a nonstick pan. A easier way to get the stuff stuck on the pan off is to run scolding hot water on the pan, combined with a really good Dish Soap. Wait a couple hours and scrape.


Egg whites lack the cholesterol that egg yolks have and most of the nutrients too. Egg whites are not high in protein, they have some but not as much as the yolk.

snapcap wrote:
If you're worried about eating the egg yolk, then maybe there are other more pressing health issues at hand.


Okay... There are not more pressing health issues at hand except wanting to eat healthier. Lets say I drink a gallon of soda everyday (I rarely drink soda). I guess I should not stop until I get deathly ill according to what you have said.

I am skinny by the way.



coconapple
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: May 19, 2010
Posts: 63

24 Apr 2012, 11:37 pm

Personally I crack 3 eggs and fry then in 2 or 3 tablespoons of bacon grease, then sprinkle some salt and chili paste.
My bacon [grease] and eggs come from a local farm.

If you have any mental illness I highly recommend you eat saturated fat and cholesterol.

General information about fats: http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats
and here is an introduction: http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-f ... troduction



Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 14, 2012
Posts: 1415
Location: My own version of reality

24 Apr 2012, 11:42 pm

coconapple wrote:
Personally I crack 3 eggs and fry then in 2 or 3 tablespoons of bacon grease, then sprinkle some salt and chili paste.
My bacon [grease] and eggs come from a local farm.

If you have any mental illness I highly recommend you eat saturated fat and cholesterol.

General information about fats: http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats
and here is an introduction: http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-f ... troduction


Sarcasm? I like the weblink, have to look at it in more depth later



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next



 Similar Topics 
easter eggs no not those eggs thesse eggs

in Random Discussion

10 Mar 2009, 12:22 pm

eddiedog8 View the latest post

emu eggs

in General Autism Discussion

26 Dec 2005, 2:37 pm

Neuroman View the latest post

How do you like your eggs?

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3 ]

in Random Discussion

28 Dec 2011, 6:11 pm

Tequila View the latest post

How ethical are your eggs?

in News and Current Events

06 Apr 2014, 8:47 am

MjrMajorMajor View the latest post



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: