Page 2 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2012, 12:07 pm

Xenu wrote:
"autism-like behaviors" aren't something that needs to be cured!

What about lower-functioning autistic people who could have a better life with less social burdens?
Quote:
They are part of who we are, part of our personality! Part of what makes us US! ...I don't want something to change me.

Heraclitus once said you cannot step into the same river twice. Philosophers like Hume argued that you have no identity to call your own because you are always changing.
Quote:
The fact is that these people think that they know best and need to cure us!

After ranting for a paragraph about how objectively awful a socially-beneficial drug could be for humans, you blame THEM for thinking they know best?
Quote:
What if they created a cure for being gay?

Some gays would use it and others would not. Divides are drawn, drama ensues. Politics, politics, politics, threat of rejection, liberty, reluctant acceptance, discrimination blap blap blap blap
Quote:
It's sickening to me how something that would literally change who you are as a person is being created and thought of as a good idea.

What's your take on psychiatric medication?

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

What if you could become gay for only a day...or a week...Is this a movie plot a movie studio would pick up if they could cast someone like Dwayne Johnson as the star?

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 4:40 pm

Xenu wrote:
We aren't sick, we are just different.

I'm not sick either, but I have severe social problems and disabilities. I'm not merely a little different or eccentric, I can barely interact with other people anymore without having a panic attack or a shutdown. This aspie pride "we don't need a cure" attitude is all nice and well if you happen to be mostly normal and fully functional, but if that is the case, why call yourself autistic in the first place?

AS is a form of autism. It is a disorder that can be very limiting and disabling. If there was a cure for AS I'd be the first in line to take it, but I'd settle for a pharmaceutical drug that alleviates the AS-related symptoms and social deficiencies.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 4:43 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
This aspie pride "we don't need a cure" attitude is all nice and well if you happen to be mostly normal and fully functional, but if that is the case, why call yourself autistic in the first place?

I agree. If I was blind, and there was a potential cure for blindness, I would get annoyed if a whole lot of short-sighted people started saying "but I quite like wearing glasses, I think they suit me!"

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 5:16 pm

Declension wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
This aspie pride "we don't need a cure" attitude is all nice and well if you happen to be mostly normal and fully functional, but if that is the case, why call yourself autistic in the first place?

I agree. If I was blind, and there was a potential cure for blindness, I would get annoyed if a whole lot of short-sighted people started saying "but I quite like wearing glasses, I think they suit me!"

For me, I have the experience of age. Adolescence is hell for anybody, and I would hesitate to give medication to a teen that is having difficulties of whatever sort. It's difficult to discern what is "wrong" and what is just "normal" adolescence. I see kids that aren't allowed to run and play and yell, allowing that would help a lot.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 5:44 am

The only cure for Autism is eugenics, and I'm optimistic enough to think humans won’t ever go down that road.

A pharmaceutical drug to alleviate some autism related symptoms? The idea is intriguing. I cannot say whether I would or wouldn't take it, myself. I would need to know all the variables. What symptoms precisely and how would it affect them? What side effects would it have? Are there long term effects, or does it only affect you while on it short term? Etc.

I think the premise of the research is somewhat idiotic to begin with. Mice bred to exhibit autistic like traits? That's a lol-fest to begin with. What evidence is there to even begin to correlate what they tinkered around with in the mice brain has anything to do with what causes autism?? They should probably know what causes autism first before even speculating the two have any biochemical interaction correlation. This "science" they are doing sounds hack-ish.

I know I don't have obsessive self grooming behavior...lol. Is that a symptom of autism I wasn't aware of?

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 9:41 am

So by "Autism cure", we mean...drugs which lessen two of the symptoms (associated with Autism...which not all people with Autism have...and not all people with Autism want cured) genetically bred into mice.

Headline fail or thread title fail?

to his Interest."

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 2:05 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
So by "Autism cure", we mean...drugs which lessen two of the symptoms (associated with Autism...which not all people with Autism have...and not all people with Autism want cured) genetically bred into mice.

Headline fail or thread title fail?

Conceptual fail all around!

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 2:06 pm

I would not take the cure even if their was a cure.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 3:34 pm

Joker wrote:

I agree. I've spent just too many years being me to change now.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 3:43 pm

Quote:
an experimental compound, called GRN-529, increased social interactions and lessened repetitive self-grooming behavior in a strain of mice bred to display autism-like behaviors.

Mouse 1: "Hey, I'm feeling really social today!!"

Mouse 2 : "Heck yeah wana go to a rave?"

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 3:59 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

Really, It took me a long time to go from Khan Noonien Singh to Dudley Do-Right!...

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 4:06 pm

shrox wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

I know if I woke up one day and no longer had Autism I would feel empty inside.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 4:33 pm

Joker wrote:
shrox wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

I know if I woke up one day and no longer had Autism I would feel empty inside.

Probably me too.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 5:14 pm

What they are doing to these animals is revolting, and anyone who takes any "medication" they create from "treating" fake, bio-engineered autistic symptoms will be as much a guinea pig as these rodents are.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 5:17 pm

starkid wrote:
What they are doing to these animals is revolting, and anyone who takes any "medication" they create from "treating" fake, bio-engineered autistic symptoms will be as much a guinea pig as these rodents are.

Couldn't that be said for most meds? This mouse was feeling depressed. :(