Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 12:56 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Ugh. Not this again.

I don't mean to offend, but.....

I'm getting perfectly fed-up with introverts, learning-disabled people, and so-on, and the never-ending claims of "genius" and "giftedness." I suppose when society doesn't "value" your innate talents as much as they do extroverts/normal people, it's easy to get caught up in ways to make yourself feel "special," but seriously folks. Not every Aspie/autistic is a genius/gifted, nor is every genius/gifted person an Aspie/autistic. In fact, I suspect the majority aren't.

The idea that "loner= genius" seems predicated on the notion that sitting around on a Saturday night, looking up random facts on Pokemon and memorizing the names of U.S. presidents is somehow intellectually superior to going to clubs with friends. In my opinion, it's certainly not. The former is every bit as intellectually mediocre as the latter and, in my more sour moments, I'm prone to saying, "You're still dumb, it's just that you choose to be dumb alone and the rest of the world chooses to be dumb with company." This is based on my personal experience with perfectly stupid, yet utterly snobby, self-obsessed introverts claiming "giftedness" and "genius," but with little to back up those claims beyond that they engage in different pastimes than the majority, or they claim a high IQs, but yet still live with Mommy and Daddy past the age of 35. Whoop-de-friggen-doo. Sitting around, claiming to be "special," a genius, or "gifted" is a very far cry from actually DOING anything that would make those lables accurate.

My view on what constitutes true "genius" is the individual's ideas help advance human understanding in science, art, technology, ect. and push civilization to a new stage of existence. VERY few people rise to that level as such talents are RARE. IMHO, I do not have "special genes." I have nothing in common with Einstein, Da Vinci, Bill Gates, Edvard Munch, or any other awesome personage, and unless someone can offer something more than the introverts' standard "me do real gudd at skool and evrybofy thinks im smart," then I'm going to conclude that the vast majority of stinking, unwashed humanity, AS/autism or otherwise, doesn't either.

--XFG

+1

Thankfully, I didn't score that high on my IQ test and I realized I'm not that smart a long time ago.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 9:59 pm

Sophist wrote:
I know Da Vinci is on the retro-diagnosis list of ASDs.

Given his classic savant skills, and the fact that a majority of savants are on the ASD Spectrum somewhere, he seems a prime candidate.

Of course, no one can ever know for sure. But it seems likely to me.

Leonardo Da Vinci was cetainly profoundly gifted. Giftedness and asperger, which is why so many famous peoples are diagnosed retrospectively with asperger. I won't consider him asperger unless there is some account of things like some difficulty to "get" social situations.

As for "The Da Vinci method" it's to me another one of this self-help books to get your money with unproved claims,