Are you more of a fast twitch or slow twitch athlete?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 4:48 pm

Are you built for quick bursts of speed and power, or for aerobic exercise like distance running?

I seem to be more the former from body type. I do my fair share of distance running and can seemingly run forever, but I don't seem to be able to increase my distance pace beyond a certain point without feeling like I've exhausted the muscle much quicker than normal, then I slow down. It can be frustrating. To get to the point where I feel like I'm feeling like I'm getting a good workout in, I'll go up long and rather steep hills at a modest pace. Fortunately, those are in abundance here, including some that are part of established race routes.

I am not complaining as much as trying to determine my limitations. I would like to be competitive and do some racing, but I probably max out as fairly ordinary I fear. I don't have any real desire to get involved in power lifting or body building either. It is just not my thing. I'm just rambling here and seeing if anyone has any advice that has had some success. :) Maybe, I should try to get involved more in some climbing.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 4:50 pm

I'm built for quick bursts and power. I gain muscle very easily, but I'm not good at stamina.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 5:02 pm

Kurgan wrote:
I'm built for quick bursts and power. I gain muscle very easily, but I'm not good at stamina.

Same situation, I can build muscle seemingly without trying, and am relatively good at sprinting strength kinda activities. I have really decent lower body strength, but my upper body strength is pretty lacking. I do well in sports like skating and cycling, where you keep moving if you stop to take a breath, I can do less strokes/pedals with more power.

Anyway, OP, don't knock the weights. Do some squats and I guarantee you'll get faster. The difference in how I can run and jump now after squats is night and day. I'd recommend Olympic style, too, where you go down as low as you can, rather than the powerlifting kind of squats. You'll lift less weight that way, but I'd say it's better.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 5:14 pm

I am built for power but not built for speed I can gain muscle very easy.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 6:33 pm

I am naturally a bigger frame person, and I played sports and trained for them for years. I suppose I have a sprinter's build, though most people thought I had a wrestler's build when I was younger.

I do some weight training but with more repetitions these days. I do like those climber machines, which seem to be an aerobic version of squatting with good range of motion. Turn it up high and I break a good sweat in about an half hour. Maybe something like cross country would be more my style from a competitive standpoint. I actually seem to accelerate up hills and might just be more mountain goat when it comes to running. :) I don't really know of any events near me though.

Thanks for the input. It seems like you guys are similar to me.

Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2012, 6:57 pm

Kurgan wrote:

Same here, I'm not gonna win any races, but I am strong.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 9:04 am

i think everyone has a type but it can be changed with the right training. i'd like to think i'm a bit of both but dunno really

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 12:35 pm

sluice wrote:
Are you built for quick bursts of speed and power, or for aerobic exercise like distance running?

I seem to be more the former from body type. I do my fair share of distance running and can seemingly run forever, but I don't seem to be able to increase my distance pace beyond a certain point without feeling like I've exhausted the muscle much quicker than normal, then I slow down. It can be frustrating. To get to the point where I feel like I'm feeling like I'm getting a good workout in, I'll go up long and rather steep hills at a modest pace. Fortunately, those are in abundance here, including some that are part of established race routes.

I am not complaining as much as trying to determine my limitations. I would like to be competitive and do some racing, but I probably max out as fairly ordinary I fear. I don't have any real desire to get involved in power lifting or body building either. It is just not my thing. I'm just rambling here and seeing if anyone has any advice that has had some success. :) Maybe, I should try to get involved more in some climbing.

aerobic type.

I'm trying to build strength, but I do a lot better when I run miles.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 5:45 pm

I'm built for power, not speed.

You will reap what you've sown.