any reasons why marijuana should still be illegal?

Page 12 of 16 [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 11:52 am

Lillythepink wrote:
Its better to keep it illegal anyway.

Why because you personally don't like it?

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 1:02 pm

if pot were legal the smokers would not be naughty.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 1:06 pm

I don't know, mushrooms and acid would still be illegal, so when indulging in those things one would still be 'naughty' and lots of cannabis users occasionally indulge in such things.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 1:29 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
FYI: Not only is the *law* you mentioned based on a bad idea, it's implementation is far, FAR worse than the idea itself!

We have two separate issues here, so I'm going to split them.

As for the law--bad execution of the law does not necessarily mean that the law, itself, is invalid. The fact that government has spent untold millions on the enforcement of marijuana legislation does not mean that the legislation is, in itself, bad or misguided. That being said, I would be foolish to suppose that the countless millions were not wasteful, and indicative that that the law has reached a fundamental disconnect with the people to whom it applies.

So, I don't disagree with you--but for different reasons, perhaps.

Quote:
As far as the the medications that you mention that are alternatives to medical cannabis, many of them have side effects which range from unpleasant to potentially lethal. Drugs that are derived from naturally occurring compounds, particularly when there is a mixture of compounds being absorbed, tend to be not only more effective but have very unintentional and problematic side effects than synthetic compounds. Cannabis has certain anti-carcinogenic effects and it WAaaaaaaaaaaY less toxic than most chemotherapy drugs.

Here I am far less sanguine. You have drawn some pretty broad generalizations. While you have used the usual conditional language ("tend," "most," "many") but the broad assertions are still problematic.

All drugs--including marijuana, have side effects. There is no drug that I am aware of that achieves its therapeutic effect and has no other effect on the human body. Now, some side effects are beneficial and some are harmful. Some have severe impacts, some have trivial impacts. And perhaps most importantly, no two patients will respond in exactly the same way to the same drugs. So to suggest that cannabis is preferred to other medications is, I think, to move dangerously close to pronouncing on matters that are best left to a patient and the patient's physician to decide.

As for Cannabis' anti-carcinogenic effects, let's not overstate the case. A few of the active ingredients (particularly delta-9 THC) have demonstrated some ability at retarding tumor growth. It has never been demonstrated, however, to reverse tumor growth. There is some medical literature that suggests that it might ret*d metastasis--but this is not conclusive. Cannabis doesn't kill cancer--but it probably slows it down. That really only makes it an effective drug for palliative cases where the tumor is going to be allowed to run its course, or post-operative/post-radiation/post-chemo cases where the intention is to mitigate recurrence or growth in metastases.

But as a treatment for active malignancies, it's seems to be a poor choice.

Furthermore, marijuana is an immunosuppressive. The two main sites where cannabinoid receptors are found in the body are on neurons and on leukocytes. Now if you are already immune compromised (whether from chemo, radiation therapy, HIV or any other cause) then the last thing you want is to have the T-cells that you have left firing on less than all cylinders. Marijuana is a really, really bad idea for people with dodgy immune systems.

But at the end of the day, this is a conversation for a patient to have with a doctor. We can speculate all we like, but we're not the two people making the decision in any specific case.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 2:11 pm

in some cancer cases the immune system wreaks more havoc on the patient than it helps, even to the degree of doctors using immunosupressants in severe cases.

that is however some quite specific cases and it doesnt discount anything visagrunt wrote.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 11:36 am

Oodain wrote:
in some cancer cases the immune system wreaks more havoc on the patient than it helps, even to the degree of doctors using immunosupressants in severe cases.

that is however some quite specific cases and it doesnt discount anything visagrunt wrote.

I haven't read any information about the impact of cannabinoids on cancerous leukocytes--intuitively one might suppose that it might have beneficial impacts in leukemia. That might make for a very interesting inquiry. Now I'm going to need to head to the library...

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 11:58 am

the paper i read was about preventing adverse immune reactions in ovarian cancer cases, if it helps knowing that.

good luck at the library, could i ask you a favour? if you find a pre existing paper could you send a name by pm? it might be interesting.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 2:20 pm

So if marihuana should be illegal, then God is wrong to have made it?

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 2:21 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
if pot were legal the smokers would not be naughty.

What exactly does that mean?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

It is a cheap to produce drug.

* Alcohol and Tobacco would have a cheap competitor.
* Cocaine-dependant economies would be in huge trouble.
* Criminals would rather stone with cheap weed than fight each other and cause violence for expensive stuff.

Governments all over the world cannot let that happen.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 4:40 pm

snapcap wrote:
Here's a couple gems from a DEA administrator.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFgrB2Wmh5s[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0ujs8mRkWM[/youtube]

I think she's high. Hypocrite!

8O WOW, the cognitive dissonance is amazing in this woman. She is completely incapable of thinking on her own.
And the scary part is that she is head of a government agency. She's not even qualified to take orders at McDonalds.

Diagnosed in 2005

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 4:45 pm

pete1061 wrote:
8O WOW, the cognitive dissonance is amazing in this woman. She is completely incapable of thinking on her own.
And the scary part is that she is head of a government agency. She's not even qualified to take orders at McDonalds.

I honestly believe we are top-heavy with incompetents lately, due to degraded social mobility and class entrenchment.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 5:00 pm

This Is What A Drug War Looks Like When It's Dying

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2012/06/th ... _dying.php

LeeRude
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2012, 4:58 pm

it might get popular and spread out to all levels of society if we legalize it

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 8:49 pm

LeeRude wrote:
it might get popular and spread out to all levels of society if we legalize it

That would be a good thing, especially if it displaced alcohol use.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 8:51 pm

Seriously how can we make something that grows. From the earth illgeal when it comes from. THE EARTH?