Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 8:43 pm

I tested high on the ADOS module 4, as well as the Weschler, and tested with a high score as a HSP.

The best singers, IMHO, for those that want to pursue the Operatic, or Musical theater stage (personally, I consider both art forms to be one and the same), are ones that also know how to act. For example, Sir Jon Vickers, Placido Domingo, Renata Tebaldi, Renata Scotto, Mirella Freni, in the operatic world, as well as Angela Lansbury, Elaine Stritch, Carol Burnett, and John Raitt on the Broadway Stage are successful because they can do both. All these that I mention may or may not be HSP, let alone that they may or may not be Aspies.

As for me, when I choose music to sing It needs to say something to me, both textually and musically. Duke Ellington's advice is right on the money: "If it sounds good, it is good." Peter Schickele said in a more humerous light, in his sign off line to his show, which parodies the title of a Duke Ellington song, "It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got A Certain je ne sais quois."

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jun 2013, 11:44 pm

I'm sensitive about what I want to be sensitive about. I feel I probably have Aspergers under Autism; I've thought it could be just inherent to me and through genes, but what frustrates me is that it's invisible and overlooked. For instance, writing simple coherent sentences took me forever to practice and learn. I mistake different words. But this is also a symptom of schizophrenia except that I do not think word salad is as severe enough to be considered schizophrenia. It's more like losing consistency, but when I was manic with symptoms that mimicked bipolar I was very incoherent in writing, so all this labeling does nothing but confuse me on how to define my experiences and where or what umbrella they fall under.

I am very rational. Isn't that like the opposite of schizophrenia? Does that mean I recovered? This is possible that I worked hard enough, that I was schizophrenic as a teen but that enough time (9 years) has lapsed that I could have re-programmed my own self in such a way that I no longer suffer as greatly. I'm just noticing that both Autism and Schizophrenia have striking similarities. I can't see many disparities tbh other than schizophrenics may have a more toxic existence, due to environment.

One thing I have been is obsessive about knowledge and truth, but I'm not deluded by this endeavor to the point I believe without rational thought.

I AM sensitive to light and sound often. I also like quietude or else I don't feel normal. I think Autism is more of a evolved definition of schizophrenia. But if there were to be two labels, schizophrenia would then take on the role of toxic response and Autism as a genetic abnormality.

"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 7:09 am

I'm deffinetly highly sensitive, especially as a small child but I'm still clearly highly sensitive.

Most autistics I met are highly sensitive, but not all.

I think the maindifference between autism and "just" highsensitivity is the lack of social understanding in autistics.

punkguy378
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jul 2013, 10:58 pm

Honestly aspergers for me means that I am overly sensitive to emotions but I have difficulty expressing them at times because they are very overwhelming and it causes me to shut down. Aspiess do not lack empathy they only have difficulty expressing it. I sometimes need to tune out and I come across as insensitive because I cannot deal with the emotional overload and have to have a break from it.

I think the problem at least for me is that I am way too emotional. So I try to counteract that by coming across as lacking empathy when in fact I constantly feel overwhelming empathy towards those who are abused or who are in pain. I do not understand how to appropriately express those feelings. I think this is why it is a developmental problem. We can come across very immature and child-like at times. And children many times have a difficult time understanding what they are actually feeling and have to be told the correct way to feel. Some aspies never really learn how to do it since we need a lot more attention and guidance growing up and we generally do not get it.

I mean my family raised me like I was "normal" so I think they lacked the same guidance that many parents today give their aspie child. Many people grow up learning things just by watching others' behavior. As Aspies we are unable to do this at least this is what I have found out through research and through my own experience.