Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 12:18 pm

My Biology grade isn't too good and the professor hasn't given me a Yes/No answer on if I passed (C is passing BTW). I've asked and begged and pleaded I NEED to pass to transfer to the University! Outside of adding up to X points (I have 330ish out of 540 total but I don't know what points equals what grade! :-( I hear from ratemyprofessor he grades hard. :-(

I'm so scared if I fail I'll have to put off University transfer then trudge through another 4 months of Biology I HATE BIOLOGY IT SUCKS AND IS CONFUSING! I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE TERMINOLOGY NAMES OF STUFF OR METOSIS MEITOSIS! IT'S SO HARD TO GRASP! :-( My other grades for the semester are 2 A's and a C and now I'm waiting for my Biology grade. :-(

I was wondering if others failed a course and how did you deal with it emotionally? If it was last semester FINE I could of added another course in but I am supposed to transfer to University for this Fall and if I don't it'd be crushing! :-( I don't want to spend my summer depressed and my family instead of having sympathy are they types saying "I told you so etc." "To try harder etc." :-( Thanks WP!

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 12:40 pm

1) Try asking the professor if there's anything else you can do to improve your grade. (If you haven't already.)

2) Find out if the course is offered during the summer, or if you can take it at another school. If you re-take it during the summer, you should have no problem transfering in the fall.

3) Don't panic. Worst case scenario, you'll take one more semester there and transfer in the spring, right?

Employers and grad schools generally do not care about failed courses, GPAs, or how long you took to graduate. As long as you graduate eventually, a failed course (and even an extra semester if necessary) really won't affect you in the long run.

And to answer your original question... Yes. I have. Several times.

AldousH
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 May 2012, 1:00 pm

If it's related to genetics I think it's "meiosis". What do you study btw.? A sort of anthropology?
I did fail quite a bit in college, and my family isn't much different from what you're describing yours to be. I'm taking solace in the fact that a master's degree (I'm in my final year) in my field won't help much with employment eitherway. So I pretty much let it all slip this year. Then again, I'm studying humanities.

I used to teach for a while, before even getting my bachelor's degree, but I don't know how this would be possible where you're from. Try not to see this as a waisted year. Get a menial job, concentrate on your hobbies, do a bunch of fun things etc. etc.

The title of your thread is somewhat misleading. It gives the impression that you are some sort of over-achieving crammer, terrified by the reality of a sub-par grade.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 1:47 pm

it is Biology for non science majors my main confusion is everything down to the cellular level and all the fancy terminology. I want to hear the term people person human dog cat etc. not homosapien or canine lupus or felines something. :-) hopefully I strath by and pass. I Begged OMG! I need to pass. Hopefully I do. Thanks for the kind words.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 11:15 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
My Biology grade isn't too good and the professor hasn't given me a Yes/No answer on if I passed (C is passing BTW). I've asked and begged and pleaded I NEED to pass to transfer to the University! Outside of adding up to X points (I have 330ish out of 540 total but I don't know what points equals what grade! :-( I hear from ratemyprofessor he grades hard. :-(

Its usually graded like this:

http://www.cs.uni.edu/~mccormic/lettergrade.html

330'ish out of 540 is a 61/100 that is a D- ..a couple of points less and it would be an F. Proff's cannot give you points to pass that are not 'future' credit or they lose their jobs. All they can do is offer you and everyone in the class a form of extra credit.

In florida you 'pass' a class with a D grade if it is an elective but if your major requires the course you will need a C.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 7:24 pm

Dantac wrote:
zeldapsychology wrote:

Its usually graded like this:

http://www.cs.uni.edu/~mccormic/lettergrade.html

330'ish out of 540 is a 61/100 that is a D- ..a couple of points less and it would be an F. Proff's cannot give you points to pass that are not 'future' credit or they lose their jobs. All they can do is offer you and everyone in the class a form of extra credit.

In florida you 'pass' a class with a D grade if it is an elective but if your major requires the course you will need a C.

Thanks! :-) Magically I passed with a C! Now onward to my Bachelor in Criminal Justice and if intro. to CJ and Criminology are anything to go by I'll get high grades. ( got A's in both of those) :-)

aarpar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2012, 9:43 pm

Cisco for Computer Systems Technology...what a waste of money that was. Although I got 60% on my first try on the exam but the passing mark was 70%. I tried again twice and the highest I got was 67% (how the heck was that calculated?).

I dropped it and went into web design.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thataaronguy204