Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

NavySEAL83
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Nov 2006, 12:15 am

I know it's very rare, but are there any athletes on here with autism/AS? I play football and run track myself, and I fell as if I'm one of the only people with AS that does that.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 7:18 am

I find this intriguing.

I stink at sports myself but I'm hoping some people reply too.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 8:24 am

I did bodybuilding for several years. I had the power of ASPIE-LEVEL OBSESSION on my side, and it is a powerful drive indeed. I think the best compliment I got was "Damn Keith! Your shoulders look like bowling balls!"

Up to a few days ago I was into martial arts. I did that for better than a year. My instructor decided that he was not going to let me test for greenbelt due to A) poor eye contact, B) lack of a "kata face" (facial expression), and C) robot-like movements. He doesn't know about Aspergers Syndrome.

Initially I was angry about this "discrimination" but when I calmed down my rationally won. If I got my leg cut off then I would not expect to remain in a martial arts class. I would not expect them to let me continue because it would cheapen the entire deal for everyone else. Martial arts is something that has certain physical requirements. If I was to make an issue about it and try to get some special exceptions, then it would take away from the value of the art for everyone else.

It would become a issue of always having to "re-draw the line." Next thing you know, some fat guy is saying "I can't do pushups cause i'm too fat. But can I get promoted anyway? You don't discriminate against fat people do you?" To make exceptions for that example or anything simply takes away from the value of the belt in question.

I need to change my avatar.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 10:41 am

Just a quick question here, but what is the "kata face" supposed to look like? I've never figured that out. As for eye contact, I imagine that I'm looking at a dot just in front of my opponent's (whether he/she is real or imaginary) face. In order to keep up with most of the other students in my class, I have to train a lot harder and come in for all the optional practice times at the dojo, but it's worth the extra work.

Billthebug
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2006, 12:58 pm

im new this year to the winter track program but i throw shot put

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Nov 2006, 1:44 pm

I mountain bike and lift weights. I used to Swim and run track.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 5:19 pm

Namiko wrote:
Just a quick question here, but what is the "kata face" supposed to look like? I've never figured that out. As for eye contact, I imagine that I'm looking at a dot just in front of my opponent's (whether he/she is real or imaginary) face. In order to keep up with most of the other students in my class, I have to train a lot harder and come in for all the optional practice times at the dojo, but it's worth the extra work.

It is supposed to be a look of "intensity" as you do kata. The closest I can do is a grimace which looks ridiculous.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

15 Nov 2006, 7:39 pm

I get up and feed the cat, does that count?

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 9:59 pm

Used to do competitive road-racing (cycling), aikido and kendo and some informal shooting (distance and accuracy, not rate of fire).
These days... I watch F1 on tv and race it in a computer sim... does that count?

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2006, 5:18 pm

former marathon runner

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

mattw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2006, 6:31 am

lowfreq50 wrote:
I did bodybuilding for several years. I had the power of ASPIE-LEVEL OBSESSION on my side, and it is a powerful drive indeed. I think the best compliment I got was "Damn Keith! Your shoulders look like bowling balls!"

Up to a few days ago I was into martial arts. I did that for better than a year. My instructor decided that he was not going to let me test for greenbelt due to A) poor eye contact, B) lack of a "kata face" (facial expression), and C) robot-like movements. He doesn't know about Aspergers Syndrome.

Initially I was angry about this "discrimination" but when I calmed down my rationally won. If I got my leg cut off then I would not expect to remain in a martial arts class. I would not expect them to let me continue because it would cheapen the entire deal for everyone else. Martial arts is something that has certain physical requirements. If I was to make an issue about it and try to get some special exceptions, then it would take away from the value of the art for everyone else.

It would become a issue of always having to "re-draw the line." Next thing you know, some fat guy is saying "I can't do pushups cause i'm too fat. But can I get promoted anyway? You don't discriminate against fat people do you?" To make exceptions for that example or anything simply takes away from the value of the belt in question.

I need to change my avatar.

This sounds really unfair about Martial Arts. I do martial arts and the instructor is aware that i have AS and i recently got my black belt in September. I also have poor HEC and it was really difficult at first.

I also like running, going on bike rides and i really enjoyed PE lessons at school even though i was not very good at it!

Discrimination against Aspies is wrong and should be dealt with.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 1:36 pm

Thank you for the clarification. Logically, it is more important that the person testing is able to do the kata and kumite properly, but I understand why the facial expression is highly regarded. For the eye contact, I imagine I'm staring at a spot just in front of where my opponent would be.

In karate, it is the kicks that are difficult for me because I don't have very good balance, but with more practice, they should become easier and good enough to pass the class I'm taking (I wouldn't be ready to test for level). One of my favourite parts about karate is getting to learn the Japanese terms for things.

Flow
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2006, 7:07 pm

I play lacrosse, on my high school team.
I do gymnastics(my school dosen't have a team, but I wist it did).
I run on my own time, I love running.

Gymnastics and lacrosse are my favorite sports, but I'm bad at both of them.
I'm a fast runner.
I'm also good at football(very very good), but my parents and gymnastics coaches don't let me play being I could get injured too easily. :evil:

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 4:32 pm

I'm a longdistance runner. I started in 7th grade with the mile and the 800 meter race, and in highschool I did crosscountry for 4 years and track for 3 years (I'm a highschool senior who got done with their highschool crosscountry time). I plan on doing crosscountry in college as well. Anyways, I've been to the state championships three times (twice as a team, and this year as an individual), and my fastest overall time for a 3.1 mile course was around 20:45 (it's not the exact time; it's been awhile since I had to remember it). Let's see...and my fastest mile time is 5:45, and my fastest 2 mile time is 12:45 (weird how they're in the 45's lol!) Anyways, I love to run and I'm hoping to run marathons when my body matures more in the future; I love crosscountry way better than track!

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Mariah918
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Dec 2006, 12:40 pm

I ran cross country for my school team and then in the Spring I'm going to join my school track team, but yeah.

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2006, 4:11 pm

I walk up to my stereo and program certain songs to listen to. Does that count?