Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Douglas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 May 2012, 2:33 pm

Does anyone else have trouble concentrating? I find it hard to focus on one thing for a lengthy period of time or for a productive period of time and the slightest distraction will send me off doing something else. I keep getting distracted, by one thing or another and completely lose sight of what I started. Does anyone have any tips for helping with this?

Thanks!

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2012, 5:34 pm

Douglas wrote:
Does anyone else have trouble concentrating? I find it hard to focus on one thing for a lengthy period of time or for a productive period of time and the slightest distraction will send me off doing something else. I keep getting distracted, by one thing or another and completely lose sight of what I started. Does anyone have any tips for helping with this?

Thanks!

Yes. I have Aspergers and ADHD.. I've developed workarounds such as having something playing in the background to keep my brain from getting bored while shutting out all other distractions. Making lists helps too. Figure out what your workarounds need to be to focus when you need to.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2012, 5:53 pm

Stimulant drugs are helpful for me but I don't like them so I resort to the less effective work-arounds as a compromise.

Out of a typical eight-hour workday, i probably actually focus on work for only an hour or so. Fortunately I seem to accomplish enough during this time to fulfill my supervisor's expectations.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 6:59 pm

When I am not interested in something, or don't really feel like doing it, or am tired, then I have trouble concentrating.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 2:31 am

Douglas wrote:

Thanks!

Yes. I am super-focused and super-distracted by turns. It often depends on whether I'm interested in what I'm doing, whether I'm tired, whether I have something else on my mind, and so on. Personally, I find I tend to have an easier time concentrating when there isn't much visual stimulus around me. Clear off your desk, close any windows on your computer that you don't need to have open to complete the task at hand.