Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 10:31 am

Somehow it seems like an Android smartphone always manages to beep and generally be a nuisance at all the times I don't want to hear noise (during movies, e.g.) even though deselecting sound, just a clumsy touch of the volume switches it on again (mine's on the side, along with 'off' for phone calls... so annoying that it's so accessible!) - but every time a call is received, or sometimes an alarm is needed, it tries to find a way to silence it.

(Gingerbread 2.3.4, btw.)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 May 2012, 3:46 pm

Mootoo wrote:
Somehow it seems like my Android smartphone always manages to beep and generally be a nuisance at all the times
Fixed that for you! :wink:

My alarms and other noisy doodads just stay as I've set them.
(HTC Desire and HTC Sensation)

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 4:57 pm

Android is pretty terrible really. My Android phone does a lot of cool stuff, plays music well, movies, goes online, but you'll get a call and you won't be able to press the answer button in time due to the OS freezing up, you'll have to do a pull down menu to get keys to press if there's ever a "press 1 for..." for whoever you're calling. Relatively good handheld computer OS, crappy phones. Seriously, you know there's a problem when you got "phone apps" on your phone.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 May 2012, 5:09 pm

If yours hangs when you get a call then clearly there is something wrong with it. Your phone; not Android.
I mean if Android the OS simply hung on an incoming call why would you think anyone at all used it?
Clearly they are using it therefore clearly, that specific problem is related to your phone.

Out of curiosity, how does iOS present a keyboard for use with "press 1 for ..." -type calls?
I don't remember the last time I needed to do that but I think there was just a slide-up keyboard in there somewhere. No big deal.

The only phone app I've installed is Handscent for SMS use because it suits my purposes better. The pre-installed one (and that will probably vary between vendors anyway) works fine - I just wanted a bit more.
What other ones are there? You seem to be implying that apps are required before the phone really functions like a phone at all but that's certainly not been my experience.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 5:55 am

I still prefer andoid out of iphone but that is just me.At least with Android you have choices of carriers as opposed to iphone with only has 3 verizon AT&T and Sprint Android has T-mobile Metor pcs Virgin Mobile <my favorate> and verizon AT&T and Sprint. I hate contracts and use Virgin mobile with my Android no contract= no ball and chain.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Dylanjohnson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2012, 1:50 am

maybe it's just your phone. you can't blame android

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 5:59 am

Actually, I think I know why I nearly never hear my ringtone... it's on silent. But if it's not it beeps every time I press a button!

So... is there any way to turn the latter noise off, while retaining the functionality of phone calls? (Whoever thought of those beeps must be a genius, btw! >.>)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

31 May 2012, 4:39 pm

All Apps|Settings|Sound
then make sure "Audible Selection (Play sound when making screen selections)" is unchecked.

This is on an HTC Sensation with Android 2.3.4 and an HTC Desire with Android 2.2
AFAIK, it's part of the basic Android settings options so I'd expect it to be present irrespective of the phone manufacturer.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 4:45 pm

My kindle has Android OS and I really like it. I mean it doesn't run as quick as my computer, but it costs a lot less

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 7:25 pm

Thanks Cornflake!

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 7:39 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Android is pretty terrible really. My Android phone does a lot of cool stuff, plays music well, movies, goes online, but you'll get a call and you won't be able to press the answer button in time due to the OS freezing up, you'll have to do a pull down menu to get keys to press if there's ever a "press 1 for..." for whoever you're calling. Relatively good handheld computer OS, crappy phones. Seriously, you know there's a problem when you got "phone apps" on your phone.

Android is slow in a large part due to its reliance on Java.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

31 May 2012, 7:47 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Android is slow in a large part due to its reliance on Java.
:? How slow is "slow"?
I've never been anywhere near the "drumming fingers" stage, waiting for something to happen, unless it's due to a crappy net connection and that's hardly Android's problem.
Otherwise, things appear to happen instantaneously - or at least with a barely perceptible delay. How much faster should it go?

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 7:52 pm

I've been using an iPhone for the last year and though I still like what drew me to the OS initially (its ease of use, consistent UI, less fussy controls), I'll probably be migrating to an Android phone later. Not anytime soon, as the phone I have is perfectly adequate for now and I won't likely need to upgrade for a couple of years. But a lot of the things I like to do on my phone, such as torrenting, file management, file transfers to other devices, UI tweaking just seem to be a lot simpler to do on Android.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 10:44 pm

Cornflake wrote:
If yours hangs when you get a call then clearly there is something wrong with it. Your phone; not Android.
I mean if Android the OS simply hung on an incoming call why would you think anyone at all used it?
Clearly they are using it therefore clearly, that specific problem is related to your phone.

Out of curiosity, how does iOS present a keyboard for use with "press 1 for ..." -type calls?
I don't remember the last time I needed to do that but I think there was just a slide-up keyboard in there somewhere. No big deal.

The only phone app I've installed is Handscent for SMS use because it suits my purposes better. The pre-installed one (and that will probably vary between vendors anyway) works fine - I just wanted a bit more.
What other ones are there? You seem to be implying that apps are required before the phone really functions like a phone at all but that's certainly not been my experience.

On my phones (Galaxy S and S2) tapping on the screen during call brings up options, tap the option for onscreen numeric keypad, brings up keypad, then tap in number/s, put phone back to ear and screen goes blank again while the call continues :)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Jun 2012, 9:44 am

Cogs wrote:
On my phones (Galaxy S and S2) tapping on the screen during call brings up options, tap the option for onscreen numeric keypad, brings up keypad, then tap in number/s, put phone back to ear and screen goes blank again while the call continues :)
:lol: Exactly!
That all seems perfectly sensible to me.
I think the telepathic interface (which seems to be the only acceptable solution for some users) is a way off yet... :wink:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:48 am

With all due respect to all posters who find this thread disturbingly unfair towards android I do not think android will be too hurt by the poster of this thread having a problem with their phones, they should be able to make it through just fine...