How come people with Aspergers can't work ?

Page 4 of 16 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 5:33 am

It's the tentacles.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 6:18 am

kx250rider wrote:
I don't think there's any reason we can't work, unless there's a heck of a lot more than just Asperger's at cause. I've worked since I was a teen, and never been fired from any job, and always gotten whatever job I applied for.

So? Are you some sort of template for everyone else's Asperger's?

There are loads of people of relatively advanced age, who have had problems their whole life, from even before AS was known about. You don't happen to be one of them. This doesn't mean anything at all.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 6:30 am

I've had summer jobs (I'm a full time university student) and the biggest problems were the amount of work and the social things.
I can't work for more than 2-hours at a time, then I get exhausted, so work days of 6-8 hours were really exhausting. I had to be in contact with other people constantly, which made it even more exhausting. I plan to work part-time after I graduate from collage. It's not the ideal situation, but I know that if I tried to work full time, I'd collapse and be in the loony bin again after a couple of months.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 May 2012, 9:16 am

edgewaters wrote:
kx250rider wrote:
I don't think there's any reason we can't work, unless there's a heck of a lot more than just Asperger's at cause. I've worked since I was a teen, and never been fired from any job, and always gotten whatever job I applied for.

There are loads of people of relatively advanced age, who have had problems their whole life, from even before AS was known about. You don't happen to be one of them. This doesn't mean anything at all.

With all due respect, I think it means that Asperger's is not a sentence to be repeatedly unemployed. It's a factor, and it's probably the cause for some of us, but not most. I believe in people, I guess :wink:

If there were a template, and we were all trying to fit it, then we'd be NT...

Charles

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 9:25 am

kx250rider wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
kx250rider wrote:

If there were a template, and we were all trying to fit it, then we'd be NT...

With all due respect, I think it means that Asperger's is not a sentence to be repeatedly unemployed. It's a factor, and it's probably the cause for some of us, but not most. I believe in people, I guess :wink:

Charles

It is for some ... how many is anybody's guess, but unemployments rates are very, very high, by some estimates higher than for convicted felons, in the 80-85% range. This is not easily explained by anything other than something inherent in AS itself, or, discrimination and in some cases (eg home situations) abuse.

BobinPgh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2012, 2:30 am

That is one reason why I did not want to be diagnosed and find out I have asperger's -- the unemployment rate of 85%! I say with an ! mark because I don't think even Hollywood actors have it that high. The fact that I would face something like that is just overwhelming.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 3:17 am

Strong work ethic here. Maybe I could have leveraged that into a career but my "special interests" have taken up a lot of time & energy. Certainly my inability to drive has been a employment challenge. Some cities & towns better than others. No math, so, boo hoo, I won't spend my life behind a cash register. Good news: I make hammocks for a living. Bad news: I make hammocks for a living.

EQ: 6.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 9:02 am

Quote:
How come people with Aspergers can't work ?

Says who?

ogional
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2012, 8:17 pm

I work and I have aspergers Its never become a problem for me as a stocker or maintenance crew member unless i talked to other people but other than that my yearly evaluation exceeded in everything. Aspergers doesn't prevent me from working it actually helps me improve my skills as a stocker. Thanks to wal-mart :). But other than that socializing with other wal-mart associates is a down fall for me. I haven't told my managers I have aspergers I don't need to unless it starts interfering with my job or other problems with other associates if i constantly get coached etc. I never been coached before though or had any major problems within the year I've been with the company so it doesn't matter since I'm to quiet to even get into any trouble and can't even have a conversation unless someone needs something or i need something. that is about the only time i do talk. In my yearly eval. they said I had was business like and had the business attitude which they liked etc.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jun 2012, 9:34 pm

Well...I had a multi-paragraph essay written here about my experiences in teaching. It took me over a half-hour to write it. Then my computer lost my page and went to a previous page I had been on. I can't type it again. Anyway, I have taught for 24 years. I have Asperger's and I work. But I understand many on the autism spectrum cannot work. It depends on the person.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Jun 2012, 9:45 pm

kx250rider wrote:
I don't think there's any reason we can't work, unless there's a heck of a lot more than just Asperger's at cause. I've worked since I was a teen, and never been fired from any job, and always gotten whatever job I applied for. It probably also depends on the kind of job. Before I got married and became a farmer, I was an electronics technician, which was basically an alone-type job, but I also was a TV repairman and did housecalls to fix big screen TVs in homes. I don't think Asperger's ever got in the way. But on the other hand, I'd have been unhappy, and made the workplace unhappy for others probably, if I had been in a sales or office job, or any kind of labor job with a foreman breathing down my neck. That would not work for me.

Bottom line is that I think there's every reason to believe that most all Aspies can work; in the appropriate environment. Same goes for NTs also, of course.

Charles

Bottom line is even people who just have AS have different levels and varieties of impairments, so that while you may be able to work, you can't generalize that to everyone who has AS and expect to reach a coherent or logically consistent conclusion.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 9:52 pm

If I would have known 35 years ago what I know today about my condition (I have Asperger's, as well as OCD and bipolar Ii), I would have never gone to college, let alone graduate school. The jobs I tried to do led me to burnout rather quickly. The job I despised (pizza delivery) is the only constant. I'd prefer to work, but I have no idea how I'm going to pay my debts. I don't dare ask family for any kind of help. I don't like asking my church all the time for help, besides the rest of the family raises hell every I they find out I ask the church for help (and it wasn't even for myself a good bit of the time. It was normally for my mother, when she was still alive.) the rest of the family (save my youngest brother and his wife, who have 2 low functioning autistic children) think I'm a fraud, a liar, a cheat, and a lowlife who doesn't deserve to live. As a matter of fact, the consider Asperger's to be disease-mongering. They're already thinking of me as an Ass-burger. Mom, before she died, knew there was always something wrong with me, she just couldn't figure out what.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2012, 12:30 am

They CAN work. Most, anyway. It's insulting that people, even people here, say they can "never" work. Most can-- with proper job placement, therapy, special accommodations, etc.

Some people with tons of co-morbid conditions and other ailments find it harder. Even so, most people can (or should I say, could) receive treatment and with time, could work. Do all want to work? No. Just read over the "work" forum and you'll be sickened by some of the people choosing not to work. Others want to work, but at this time, find that difficult-- and are proactively doing things now to help them work later on.

This lady was able to get multiple degrees for decades. I find it hard to believe that she could get all those degrees and not do ANY sort of job.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Jul 2012, 12:35 am

I don't think you can judge whether any particular person on this forum can or cannot work. It seems rather arrogant to tell people what they should be doing, especially when you're probably quite ignorant as to what they've already tried.

Also, I find academia easier than work, but academia actually burns me out faster than working - but the burnout and resulting months or years of decompensation is pretty real. in either case.

Also, technically some people can work, but the accommodations they require may mean no one will offer them a job. Some of the accommodations I need would simply not be anything most would be willing to meet, unless you know of anyone who would hire someone for an 8 hour workday during which they can only work 3-5 of those hours and spend the rest of that time decompressing from the working itself.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2012, 12:37 am

kx250rider wrote:
I don't think there's any reason we can't work, unless there's a heck of a lot more than just Asperger's at cause. I've worked since I was a teen, and never been fired from any job, and always gotten whatever job I applied for. It probably also depends on the kind of job.

Exactly, Charles.

Finally someone here with a solid work ethic, and wisdom to find jobs that you know you can do... not trying to do a type of job that isn't a good match, then claiming you can never do any other sort of job ever. Finding a good match in a type of job is important to success, as is strong willpower and perseverance (and, if necessary, reasonable accommodations).

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 12:48 am

ooo wrote:
kx250rider wrote:
I don't think there's any reason we can't work, unless there's a heck of a lot more than just Asperger's at cause. I've worked since I was a teen, and never been fired from any job, and always gotten whatever job I applied for. It probably also depends on the kind of job.

Exactly, Charles.

Finally someone here with a solid work ethic, and wisdom to find jobs that you know you can do... not trying to do a type of job that isn't a good match, then claiming you can never do any other sort of job ever. Finding a good match in a type of job is important to success, as is strong willpower and perseverance (and, if necessary, reasonable accommodations).

I have actually done work that I am both good at and enjoy, and I burned out on that as well - to the point of getting blacklisted out of the industry (10 years ago, I could approach publishers and ask them if I could work on a particular book line and they would typically say "yes." Over the past five years, all I've received is politely worded rebuffs).

This was also work I did at home on my own schedule - contracting work. I lasted the longest at it because I did love it, but I kept hitting walls and burnouts and spending months away from working only to start the cycle all over again, until I spectacularly crashed and burned in 2003, got another chance, and everything blew up again in 2007.

Also, willpower is more a matter of neurology than skill. Executive dysfunction (common in autism, and severity of such dysfunction is not directly correlated to visible severity of autism - someone who appears mildly autistic can be just as impacted as someone who appears severely autistic) directly impacts the neurological functions that account for willpower, meaning that one depletes their reserves more quickly, spends more of them on tasks than neurotypicals, has to spend some on tasks that neurotypicals do not, and probably has fewer overall reserves. This article discusses the concept (labeled "ego depletion"):

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2012/04/17/ego-depletion/

I also find the assumption that if someone states that they cannot work that they lack a work ethic to be highly questionable. But I suppose if you interact with people as if they suddenly appeared ex nihilo the moment you noticed them, and believe you can deduce everything about their thoughts and motives on the basis of whether or not they want to work, then your conclusion would make sense. Since none of these things are true, such a conclusion is at best nonsense, and at worst a blatant attempt at emotional manipulation.