The reason marijuana and all drugs are illegal

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 6:07 pm

Profit

Quote:
The vast profits made from drug production and trafficking are overwhelmingly reaped in rich "consuming" countries – principally across Europe and in the US – rather than war-torn "producing" nations such as Colombia and Mexico, new research has revealed. And its authors claim that financial regulators in the west are reluctant to go after western banks in pursuit of the massive amount of drug money being laundered through their systems.

The most far-reaching and detailed analysis to date of the drug economy in any country – in this case, Colombia – shows that 2.6% of the total street value of cocaine produced remains within the country, while a staggering 97.4% of profits are reaped by criminal syndicates, and laundered by banks, in first-world consuming countries.

It's not because of the risks from using the drugs, it's because it will make you rich.

It's probably part of the reason we are in Afghanistan - resources!

It's probably why we turn our back on 50k+ people dying just in Mexico as a direct result of prohibition.

Did you know that the west pays for the drug war in Iran?

And is probably a good reason Big Pharma doesn't want decriminalization anytime soon?

$$$$$$$>you

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Last edited by snapcap on 02 Jun 2012, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 6:13 pm

Oh and look at the right of the story and what's the #4 most viewed story?

"Miami man shot dead eating a man's face may have been on LSD-like drug"

Damn, those drugs! Damn, damn damn those drugs! Nothing but vile and demonic...

and profitable.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 6:25 pm

snapcap wrote:

I believe this is likely true. CIA, Cocaine Importing Agency as some like to call it. Drugs enslave malcontents, its not only about money.

The Taliban used the opium trade during its rise to power, but once it was in power, they eradicated the poppy harvest almost entirely, declaring it un-Islamic in 2000. The crop was reduced over 90%. Since then, it has been restored and production is being ramped up.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 6:31 pm

edgewaters wrote:
snapcap wrote:

I believe this is likely true. CIA, Cocaine Importing Agency as some like to call it. Drugs enslave malcontents, its not only about money.

The Taliban used the opium trade during its rise to power, but once it was in power, they eradicated the poppy harvest almost entirely, declaring it un-Islamic in 2000. The crop was reduced over 90%. Since then, it has been restored and production is being ramped up. Note that Helmand Province is where most of the foreign forces are concentrated:

I bet some of the profits are going towards the building of the bases inside Afghanistan.

The president recently said we'd pull out next year.

He lied.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 6:35 pm

Yeah pretty much the war on drugs can bring in profit, its not about protecting people from negative effects of drugs.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 6:37 pm

It's why they armed the drug cartels, ON PURPOSE.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Jun 2012, 6:48 pm

Drug money is what funds the black budget and that's what we use to wage our illegal covert wars all over the globe.

The reason drugs are illegal is to protect the profits of the CIA and the prison industrial complex. Scarcity = profits.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 6:53 pm

snapcap wrote:
I bet some of the profits are going towards the building of the bases inside Afghanistan.

Probably not because that money has to be accounted for. This money is used for things they'd never get budgetary approval for, or laundered and put in pocket.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 7:01 pm

snapcap wrote:
It's why they armed the drug cartels, ON PURPOSE.

then wouldnt it be better if government werent the ones profting from it, only regulating its trade?

at least it would remove the benefactors from the legislators.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 7:03 pm

It also has something to do with the demonisation of the lower classes. Throughout history, it has always been easy to denounce the recreational drugs which poor people use, whereas elites can somehow always find a way to use recreational drugs without consequence. Even the famous alcohol prohibition in the US wasn't really for everyone. Rich people don't think that poor people have the right to have fun in their leisure time.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:18 pm

Quote:
The reason marijuana and all drugs are illegal

The system has to have some way to sustain the empires created by the war on drugs in the 80's; i.e.DEA (and other drug dedicated LE), lawyers, courts, BOP and state level corrections, etc.....
Legalize dope and all those empires go away or will have to find some other intrusive way to sustain themselves.
Trust me, when you create an entity to perform a task it does not want to just cease to exist.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:23 pm

True, but what they make money off of is the number of people in jail/prison for drug-related, often non-violent offenses, not scarcity.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:26 pm

Raptor wrote:
Trust me, when you create an entity to perform a task it does not want to just cease to exist.

Very true.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 10:30 am

I think that a more accurate title might be, "The reason marijuana and all drugs remain illegal."

I do not think that the reasons for prohibition have remained constant over time. Initially, the preservation of domestic industries (e.g. alcohol and tobacco) and the influence of physicians who saw the potential for intrusion into their exclusive business of prescribing "legitimate" medicines (not--heaven forbid!--from any public health perspective).

Those influences are considerably smaller today, whereas the economic activity represented by the drug trade is vast. And so the focus of attention for government has moved with it.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 11:20 am

visagrunt wrote:
I think that a more accurate title might be, "The reason marijuana and all drugs remain illegal."

I do not think that the reasons for prohibition have remained constant over time. Initially, the preservation of domestic industries (e.g. alcohol and tobacco) and the influence of physicians who saw the potential for intrusion into their exclusive business of prescribing "legitimate" medicines (not--heaven forbid!--from any public health perspective).

Those influences are considerably smaller today, whereas the economic activity represented by the drug trade is vast. And so the focus of attention for government has moved with it.

The reason for prohibition of marijuana seems like an economical one, especially if you consider the business DuPont seemed to think it would lose by it's continual free use.

$$$$$$$$$

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 11:39 am

i know if i was stoned all day everyday i would spen less money :P

but on a more serious note isn't it that drugs present an alternate view of reality and that people don't like people with an alternate view of reality.