Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 1:14 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Those women on the AS spouses forum have greater issues than their husbands.
Nasty hypocritical liars with truly monstrous narcassism issues.

Frankly, I wouldn't believe ANY negative things a spouse says. and YEAH, I HAVE known people that claimed their spouses had problems when THEY actually had those problems.

I don't know why, but it is OBVIOUS that these symptoms, etc.... obviously have CONSPIRACIES to badmouth them. To look at hyperlexia, LFA, HFA, Aspergers, you would think they are all the SAME LOUSY disease! They fact is that they AREN'T diseases, hyperlexia and aspergers are primarily good and beneficial, and FEW present all presentations of all of the bad symptoms, in fact, relatively few present all of the symptoms.

It is almost like somone saying that ibuprofin would present all of its sideeffects in everyone. That would clearly be falacious, because sideeffects can include liver damage and DEATH! Aspirin can include brain damage, internal hemoraging, and DEATH! WHEAT can even cause DEATH! So why do we still use them? Such sideeffects are pretty rare. The same is true of autism, even at its most extreme.

Steve

andrbot
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2006, 2:50 am

Norah, it's ok, really. I'm just learning about Asperger's, and I'm pretty sure the two coolest men I know are aspies. One is my nephew. And I mean cool in ways that have real meaning, not superficial social ways. So maybe you are the coolest woman around. Think about it. :D

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 5:11 am

I agree with everyone that being banned wouldn't really solve the problem.In fact,trying
to force anyone (and that includes oneself ) to do things never really works completely
because whenever force is required there will always be an underlying resistance fighting
it.I can understand you having negative images of AS from what you read on the other
forum but,believe it or not,I bet all of us on Wrong Planet have had negative images of
ourselves as well at some stage. Maybe the positive aspects about AS that you are bound to find on WP will help to counteract the negative images ? Anyway,whatever you decide Norah I hope things get better for you

NorahW
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2006, 5:14 am

pluto wrote:
I agree with everyone that being banned wouldn't really solve the problem.In fact,trying
to force anyone (and that includes oneself ) to do things never really works completely
because whenever force is required there will always be an underlying resistance fighting
it.I can understand you having negative images of AS from what you read on the other
forum but,believe it or not,I bet all of us on Wrong Planet have had negative images of
ourselves as well at some stage. Maybe the positive aspects about AS that you are bound to find on WP will help to counteract the negative images ? Anyway,whatever you decide Norah I hope things get better for you

The thing is, I've been to many doctors who tell me I don't have AS. Why isn't it OK for me to believe them, when several of them were experts? and I can't afford to go to another one right now. And AS to me has bad connotations and makes me think everything I do is wrong and I shouldn't talk to people unless necessary. I was even told by someone to not bother rwith anything remotely social at work because I might get myself fired because "Aspies should concentrate on their jobs only". I just don't need all this now.

Does anyone know of any site blockers I could use on a Macintosh? I don't want to use the Opera browser, it doesn't seem to work very well for me and I'm not that Internet savvy to figure out why it's not working. I can't even get my home page to come up on it.

NorahW
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2006, 5:19 am

pluto wrote:

Another thing is, why do I have to believe I have AS? Maybe I don't. Why is it so important I have my nose rubbed in it here that I must be AS if I'm on here? Why the hell can't I get off? I can't even change my name on the forum or change my email. It's like I'm trapped on here. Why does it ahve to be so f***ing difficult????! !! !###! !! !

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 5:49 am

alex wrote:
It doesn't sound like banning you is the best option. If you don't want to come to the site, it's your responsibility to control your urges because banning only blocks you from posting on the forums, not using other parts of the site.

You could at least do it out of consideration.

Some people need to be forced to do something for the better, although I don't agree this time taht it's for the better.

NorahW
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2006, 6:01 am

hale_bopp wrote:
alex wrote:
It doesn't sound like banning you is the best option. If you don't want to come to the site, it's your responsibility to control your urges because banning only blocks you from posting on the forums, not using other parts of the site.

You could at least do it out of consideration.

Some people need to be forced to do something for the better, although I don't agree this time taht it's for the better.

Thanks. And it is for the better. Ever since I started coming on here and thinking I have AS again, my attitude towards my job and everything else has gone way down and I feel like I'm even a bigger failure at work and going to be fired, plus I feel like everyone else thinks that about me too. Part of this is needing to be on Paxil again, (I've probably decompensated) so until I can find a doctor and get back on Paxil, I really need to not be on this or any otner AS site.

NorahW
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2006, 6:09 am

Another thing is, I get p***ed off if anyone on here mentioned being diagnosed or going to be diagnosed because I feel "why the *#@$ can't I get diagnosed"? If I have a problem on my job like feeling that I have to take over for the receptionist whenever she says and I resent that, I tell myself it must be due to AS and that I don't multitask or switch back and forth well, and if I had an AS diagnosis, maybe I could get accommodations in that area; and maybe not have to sit so near the reception desk where social stuff is constantly going on and I can't ignore it and feel very left out.

And I feel like people on here are going to insist I must be AS and should stay on here and accept it; yet no doctor has been able to diagnose me so that I could get help at work or places where I need it. So it's very frustrating to on one hand be told that I must be AS and I would benefit from staying on here, and to be told on the other hand that I'm not and shouldn't think about it.

Aspie94
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2006, 7:50 am

I'm a newbie (hi, everyone) and newly diagnosed, but I'm 53 (yes, 53). Guess what? Finally getting dxd. didn't change one iota of who I've always been. I got the dx. because I personally have trouble keeping jobs, so I went to Job Rehabilitation, and they sent me to a very good place to find out what my problem is. I still have the problem. I'd have the problem if I didn't have a diagnosis. A label doesn't change who you are, but it can be a relief to some (was for me) and upsetting to others. But you what you are.

Do what you want about the site. If you can keep yourself away for two days or so, I've found that my obsession lessens or moves onto something else, often more productive.

Good luck.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 10:06 am

Norah,

I don't see anyone saying you HAVE to have AS, etc.... And, as I recall, I said I didn't think you did, after you explained everything. As for being obsessed about this site? HEY, I was obsessed with another site, so I can see your problem there. Banning you won't help.

Maybe this will wean me off that one. As for HERE, I watch myself a bit more, and knowledge about the area is probably more evenly distributed, so I will make fewer posts.

Anyway, if I were you, I would keep such concerns to myself. You are obviously looking too hard at the bad things. If you want to diagnose yourself, go to a site like wikipedia, and read the symptoms carefully. I hope that won't be taken the wrong way. I have held back a bit myself because I don't want to offend others, etc... BESIDES, there are things in MY past I am not proud of, and I am lucky I am not as bad off as some here. Even THERE, some of them seem to be better in some areas than I am, and they may feel they are better off than I am. Different strokes, you know....

BTW Speaking of obsessions, and the other site. I hold back LESS there. THERE I get to see some of the worst of humanity. I STILL hold back, but there I DO offend. If something is illegal, unethical, or impossible, I make it clear. But if THEY can't take it and decide to leave, etc.... I have done my job. The NICER people get free advice, and encouragement, and respect me for it. Some have even credited me with helping them to make a lot of money, or greatly simplifying things. So HEY, I'm happy! Here, it isn't likely to have such a case, and I will be more understanding. Hopefully, others can be more understanding of me, etc...

Steve

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 10:56 am

If you want to stop doing something, but are obsessive with it and can't stop..

It would seem to me a diagnosis of OCD or Pure O is in order.

I obsess over WP because I love it, I obsess over music because I love it, I obsess over technology because I love it.

Anyway a label is a label, do with it what you will, its just a tool for others understanding really..

AS doesn't define me, though for the first time in my life I found others with similar problems, and with similar strengths, it definately was the first time I didn't feel totally alone.

I love to be alone physically, so having WP is perfect for me.

Anyway you're more than welcome to stay in my opinion, no one will force AS on you, and no one will challenge your right to be here, if you have a reason to stay do it.

I'm sure if you NEED to be banned someone could sort something out.

wedrifid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2006, 12:33 pm

Click on Profile.
Scroll down to the bit where it says "Password".
Type in something that is too complicated to remember for more than 30 seconds.
Type it again in the other box.
Click Save Profile Changes
Forget the complicated password.

Now, just hope that you are not an autistic savant whose particular talent is remembering letter sequences. :D

devilmaster2001
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Nov 2006, 12:35 pm

brah seriously man i know this is gonna sound hurtful and itll be hard but get on with life. god made you the way he wants you. his proud of you and you shouldnt forget that, man i tell ya dont stop coming on just cool down a bit. you will be ok. i kno what its like to be addicted to something i am addicted to cola completely i drink four to six litres a day. so i know its hard. love yourself brah because theres only one you.

brother devil

we few, we happy few, we band of brothers for he who sheds his blood with me is my brother.