Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 23 of 31 [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2014, 7:22 am

There are 25 responses to this, but I wonder if anyone mentioned Ladyhawke. She has not only admitted to having Asperger's, but wrote a few songs about it on her second album.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 11:55 am

mezzanotte wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Most of the evidence HAS been empirical, not theoretical, it's just not enough.

Unfortunately that's not true in the case of the long-dead composers who I listen to.

The vast majority of people here are talking about contemporary musicians.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

something_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2014, 5:01 pm

jly88 wrote:
Surprised that no one here has mentioned J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. To me he comes off as the ultimate Asperger's posterchild- VERY monotone voice, flattened affect, not a lot of eye contact, kind of lives off in his own little world, etc. There's a book I own on the 80s American underground called Our Band Could Be Your Life that has a chapter in it on Dinosaur Jr, and one of the things they mentioned was how during J's college years he would always sit around by himself in the cafeteria making sculptures out of his food. Sounds like definite Aspie behavior to me, and I'm pretty sure there were other things they mentioned that had me wondering as well. I know he's straight edge which would rule out drugs, so there's gotta be at least something going on there.

i've read our band could be our life, and the recent official dinosaur jr book. Both J and Lou both seem like likely candidates to me. Their reunion was sparked off by an impromptu performance of J and Lou's first band, deep wound, at an autism benefit organised by Lou's mother. Wonder if they played that because they are affected (and have just kept it quiet), or maybe they are just both quiet and eccentric for other reasons

eth1017
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 May 2014, 12:24 am

it wouldn't surprise me at all if Elliott Smith had Asperger's syndrome

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2014, 8:59 pm

It's a well-known fact that Gary Numan is an aspie. I'm having trouble thinking of any others though. It just doesn't seem that being a popular musician is something that would be conducive to having Aspergers. I know that a lot of rock stars hate the massive amounts of attention they receive and become reclusive as a result, though I could see this happening to virtually anyone who has thousands of screaming fans.

Thinking about it now, Maynard James Keenan may be an aspie, and Micheal Jackson may have been as well.

Does anyone have a list of musicians who have been confirmed to have AS/HFA, or at least have self-diagnosed? I would love to see it.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 11:34 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
It's a well-known fact that Gary Numan is an aspie. I'm having trouble thinking of any others though. It just doesn't seem that being a popular musician is something that would be conducive to having Aspergers. I know that a lot of rock stars hate the massive amounts of attention they receive and become reclusive as a result, though I could see this happening to virtually anyone who has thousands of screaming fans.

Thinking about it now, Maynard James Keenan may be an aspie, and Micheal Jackson may have been as well.

Does anyone have a list of musicians who have been confirmed to have AS/HFA, or at least have self-diagnosed? I would love to see it.

Philipa Brown (Ladyhawke)
James Durbin (American Idol Finalist)
Travis Meeks (Days of the New)
Adam Young (Owl City)
Aleksander Vinter (Savant)
Susan Boyle (Britian's Got Talent Finalist)
Johnny Dean (Menswear)
Criag Nicholas (The Vines)
Alan Wilson (Canned Heat)
Marty Balin (Jefferson Airplane)
David Byrne (Talking Heads)
Courtney Love (Hole)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 5:01 am

Ganondox wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Philipa Brown (Ladyhawke)
James Durbin (American Idol Finalist)
Travis Meeks (Days of the New)
Adam Young (Owl City)
Aleksander Vinter (Savant)
Susan Boyle (Britian's Got Talent Finalist)
Johnny Dean (Menswear)
Criag Nicholas (The Vines)
Alan Wilson (Canned Heat)
Marty Balin (Jefferson Airplane)
David Byrne (Talking Heads)
Courtney Love (Hole)

I'm actually rather surprised that Courtney Love is on that list, and she was officially diagnosed too! 8O Granted, she was 3 years old when they diagnosed her, and this would have been back in 1967, so it leaves me a little bit doubtful.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 7:42 am

Nobody was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 1967--you could count on that!

I don't believe the diagnosis existed until 1994.

Asperger's work was only known in exclusive academic-psychological circles until about the 1980s.

Perhaps Courtney Love was diagnosed with something like "Minimal Brain Dysfunction" or "brain injury," as I was in the early 1960s.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 3:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Asperger's work was only known in exclusive academic-psychological circles until about the 1980s.

Perhaps Courtney Love was diagnosed with something like "Minimal Brain Dysfunction" or "brain injury," as I was in the early 1960s.

Apparently she was diagnosed with "mild autism", but even then it still sort of surprises me as they surely would have thrown her in an institution back then.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 9:02 am

have no idea how to delete posts so :? :lol:

Last edited by franknfurter on 02 Jun 2014, 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 11:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

She was diagnosed with "mild autism" when she was nine years old.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 4:04 pm

That would have been around 1970 or so.

I think things were more progressive by then than during the 1950's or early 1960s.

There was much impetus for de-institutionalization then.

I'd be interested to know if she were placed in a special school, or a special class within a public school system.

There's one thing that didn't exist until 1973 in the US: the mandate to attempt to mainstream kids.

DeformedNostrils
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Aug 2014, 11:02 pm

I'm posting in this thread for the first time in two months

Pete Townshend said John Entwistle had Asperger's and Roger Daltrey said Keith Moon had autism and savant capabilities. All of them were in the Who.

Michael Jackson obviously had Asperger's. Though people say his childhood was responsible for his eccentricity, it should be noted none of his brothers turned out like him despite being raised in the same environment.

Kurt Cobain had a disturbed childhood, and no social skills at school. He was bullied and developed an obsession with punk rock. Also, depressive disorders are often co-morbid with Asperger's. He stated often how he never fitted in; his personality was erratic before he became a drug addict.

Also, John Lennon DID NOT have Asperger's, he had Borderline Personality Disorder and Yoko Ono is obsessed with finding a cure to autism.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 2:54 am

Didn't Kurt Cobain have bipolar disorder?

DeformedNostrils
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Aug 2014, 4:02 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Didn't Kurt Cobain have bipolar disorder?

There was something wrong with Cobain that can't be explained by either bipolar or ADHD; which Cobain was diagnosed with and are commonly co-morbid with Asperger's. His drug abuse also is semi-responsible for his behaviour in his later years. As a teenager he was intelligent, but performed poorly at school. He was unpopular and an outcast who was described as socially awkward. As a child he had an imaginary friend who he blamed everything on and eventually addressed his suicide letter to. It's from his early years that the most evidence for him being autistic can be drawn.

Did he actually have Asperger's? We'll never know, but there is enough evidence for it to be thought about.

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2014, 8:57 am

How about Van Morrison? He certainly seems to be utterly absorbed in his music, and - career-wise - marches to the beat of his own drum regardless of what his audiences or record company expect from him. Judging by interviews I've read, he also seems to be pretty much uninterested in observing even the most basic social niceties, and has been this way throughout his career (rendering it unlikely that he's merely been spoilt by fame). I think he's an even likelier candidate than Bob Dylan.