Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 4 of 31 [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 6:06 pm

charlesbronstein wrote:
...like some other guy said, just because they're angry or bizarre, doesn't mean they have asperger's syndrome....here's some candidates:......, Neil Young(a bit of a stretch),......

Actually I think the stretch for Neil Young is not as great as you suggest that it is, due to the fact that he has an autistic son. I believe that there is a genetic factor for ASD's.

Also...I don't know about Greg Sage or any of the others that you've mentioned as possibly having Aspergers, however I applaud the fact that you know about The Wipers. :D

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 12:48 am

So Morrisey is an aspie...

I think either Jack White or Meg White or both White Stripes are aspie...

charlesbronstein
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2007, 2:25 am

Fogman wrote:
charlesbronstein wrote:
...like some other guy said, just because they're angry or bizarre, doesn't mean they have asperger's syndrome....here's some candidates:......, Neil Young(a bit of a stretch),......

Actually I think the stretch for Neil Young is not as great as you suggest that it is, due to the fact that he has an autistic son. I believe that there is a genetic factor for ASD's.

Also...I don't know about Greg Sage or any of the others that you've mentioned as possibly having Aspergers, however I applaud the fact that you know about The Wipers. :D

Neil Young has that whole loner persona I guess.

...Greg Ginn from Black Flag...most definiteley,now that I think about it.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 9:24 am

charlesbronstein wrote:
...Greg Ginn from Black Flag...most definiteley,now that I think about it.

I've thought that as well, also his brother, who did their classic album covers, as well as a lot of the covers for a lot of old SST releases. Their PA guy, Ratman probably has it as well. Here's his site.

http://www.ratsound.com

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Feb 2007, 6:52 pm

What about Rick Wakeman?

Go_lightly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2007, 8:03 am

tdbrown82 wrote:
I'm guessing Morrissey is too obvious for people to mention

I can´t believe I´ve never thought about that! :oops:

MeshGearFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2007, 11:15 pm

What about Joey Ramone? The man wrote juvenile lyrics with repeat phrases. Listen to Maria Bartiromo. A total AS tune.

http://www.joeyramone.com/joey_discography.html

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention Bob Pollard from Guided By Voices. Has anyone mentioned Thom Yorke? I sometimes think PJ Harvey is an aspie (recluse, doesn't interview well, Trent Reznor type), but not sure.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2007, 3:36 pm

ramsamsam wrote:
I think people are focusing too much on the work produced by the artist and less on how they behave.
For instance I and my doctor (who has seen The Talking Heads live) thought that David Bynre had AS.
This is because he can be sociallly akward or perculiar.
David Bynre I don't think has it severely though.
Morrissey would seem to have more social understanding than david bynre but also obbssesive traits, so I reckon he's probably somebody who like me has relatively mild AS.

Have you ever seen David Byrne in an interview? I saw him a fews years back on Jools Holland and he was having difficulty just making sense when he spoke.

konyannah
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2007, 3:40 pm

Jonny wrote:

Have you ever seen David Byrne in an interview? I saw him a fews years back on Jools Holland and he was having difficulty just making sense when he spoke.

I reckon David Byrne is pretty likely and Morrissey also: his interviews on film are deeply uncomfortable to watch, in my experience, he just looks so ill at ease

which is of course proof of nothing but it's kinda fun to speculate

and we need fun

and don't forget Leonard Cohen, as somebody else mentioned

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2007, 12:53 pm

I dont know about Morrissey. Ok i havent seen too many interviews of him, but he just came across as arrogant and trying to be different to be cool.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 5:28 pm

this is a long thread and i can't read through it all because i'm impatient but i'd dare to say that syd barrett had AS.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 5:37 pm

HydroPurity wrote:
Also, I think it's very possible that asperger's is what caused Syd Barrett to recluse.

it's also well-noted that he didn't have the best of motor skills and wasn't regarded as an amazing guitarist but more with creating aural landscapes. and his reclusiveness fits in well with a bad reaction to the change of getting famous combined with the drugs he was taking. could have easily been asperger's mistaken for bipolar or schizophrenia just because asperger's wasn't such a common known condition at the time.

kidwiththereplaceablehead
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Mar 2007, 8:59 pm

Michael "Olga" Algar from Comedic Punk Band toy dolls hes suspiciously funny. if he dosn't have AS i'll eat my guitar.

Joey Ramone - aviods eye contact with hair and glasses, good sense of humor especialy around Stiv bators. Diagnosed with obsesive compulsive disorder.

both exentric
both humorus
both cool but in a concius and self concius way

[quote="MeshGearFox"]What about Joey Ramone? The man wrote juvenile lyrics with repeat phrases. Listen to Maria Bartiromo. A total AS tune.
I agree

07 Mar 2007, 9:08 pm

Check out olga in this vid and u'll see what i mean[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5KRdHqvy3s[/youtube]

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2007, 10:21 pm

kidwiththereplaceablehead wrote:
Michael "Olga" Algar from Comedic Punk Band toy dolls hes suspiciously funny. if he dosn't have AS i'll eat my guitar.

Joey Ramone - aviods eye contact with hair and glasses, good sense of humor especialy around Stiv bators. Diagnosed with obsesive compulsive disorder.

both exentric
both humorus
both cool but in a concius and self concius way

MeshGearFox wrote:
What about Joey Ramone? The man wrote juvenile lyrics with repeat phrases. Listen to Maria Bartiromo. A total AS tune.
I agree

talking about both stiv and joey or joey and olga?

i don't see it as much with olga....i've only seen the dead boys play a couple times and couldn't really tell...joey definately seems to have it, though.

08 Mar 2007, 10:24 pm

[quote]talking about both stiv and joey or joey and olga?

no not stiv but the vids ive seen of joey when hes around stiv he opens up

olgas not related to them exept musicaly

but don't you think that dance choeryography olga in nelly had could only be invented by an aspie the other two guys were almost to embarressed to do it but he was over exuberent about it

a AS performer is like a blind dare devil. luckly "fortune favours the bold" and it pays off

oh do you remember those wierd disco moves Joey used to do?