Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

brawnybalboa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2012, 1:14 pm

I was wondering how other members of this forum feel about spelling and the correct use of grammar? I have always been a bit of a grammar nazi and since the introduction of QWERTY keyboards to smart phones and predictive texting to models with a standard keypad there is no reason for poorly written and spelt posts to be made at all!

Don't get me wrong, I will spell words incorrectly and on occasion use poor grammar as all of us do, but 'wen pepl start writin stuf lyk this' I do genuinely get annoyed!

Any other aspies have the same issues?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 1:23 pm

<----- Hates bad spelling, incorrect grammar AND blue on blue text! Ten lashes!

brawnybalboa

06 Jun 2012, 1:27 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
<----- Hates bad spelling, incorrect grammar AND blue on blue text! Ten lashes!

If you are going to personally aim a comment at me, I shall reply in kind. I hate people who talk in the third person.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 1:49 pm

<----- One of his aspie quirks is writing and speaking in the 3rd person and he means no offense whatsoever!

brawnybalboa

06 Jun 2012, 2:04 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
<----- One of his aspie quirks is writing and speaking in the 3rd person and he means no offense whatsoever!

One of my 'aspie quirks' is typing and writing in blue ink. I often print out coursework in blue to proof read prior to submission and I dyed my spectacle lenses blue so to aid me reading exam papers.

Hence I would ask not to express your hatred for blue writing.

Pipilo

06 Jun 2012, 2:05 pm

I can be very patient with other people's bad grammar. Let's face it, I have to be. But my own bad grammar drives me nuts. Like starting a sentence with But or Like, as I just did. I often spend twenty minutes perfecting my posts grammatically, and making them unnecessarily long. Of course, perfection is impossible, grammatical errors remain, which leads to increasing frustration, which, as an unexpected blessing, gets me off the computer and doing other things.

So yes, in answer to the OP's question, I have the same issues. (I also don't like sentences that begin with So. My frustration level is rising.)

brawnybalboa

06 Jun 2012, 2:33 pm

I have much the same issue, I spend a long time correcting my grammar prior to publication, be is a piece of coursework or a post on this forum. However I do struggle when it comes to sat examinations. Due to being a slow writer (with notoriously poor handwriting) I often miss-spell words in the most peculiar way. I often begin words with the letter that is the leading phonetic of the first or second syllable. For example I would start courageous with an r instead of a c, I would start the word psychology with a y etcetera.

American dictionaries correcting my British grammar also drive me nuts. It is colour, not color, realise, not realize et al.

Pipilo

06 Jun 2012, 2:53 pm

I make the same weird spelling errors, particularly when handwriting.

I no longer have trouble with American dictionaries, since I'm American, but as a young child who read a lot of British literature while still learning spelling and grammar, I was very confused by the poor grades on my spelling tests. I knew color was spelled colour!

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 2:54 pm

Pretty much what you said. I also find it not only annoying but hard to decipher.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 3:05 pm

Here! Here! I would also add correct punctuation.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2012, 3:15 pm

I work as a medical secretary which involves a lot of audio typing. I sometimes edit letters other secretaries have typed and correct their errors, which I shouldn't really do because everything you access and edit is recorded by the hospital and this could potentially get me into trouble. Sometimes when a doctor has insisted on punctuating things in a particular way and I believe this to be grammatically incorrect I have ignored the changes and sent the letter out how I think it should read. With the amount of typing involved it is inevitable that everyone makes mistakes, myself included, but it just bugs me because the header for this particular department always has my name and email address on it even if I haven't typed the letter and I don't like the thought of other doctors falsely thinking I have made those mistakes. On the other hand, some of the junior doctors have really appreciated me making changes and restructuring their sentences for them, especially if English is their second language.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 3:42 pm

Yes.

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2012, 4:55 pm

chiastic_slide wrote:
On the other hand, some of the junior doctors have really appreciated me making changes and restructuring their sentences for them, especially if English is their second language.

Good for you! :thumleft:

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2012, 5:24 pm

This does annoy me, but if you were talking to me online then I don't really put across that I hate the bad spelling/stupid shortened words. However, fortunately for those around me the school I attended while learning grammar did not teach very complex grammar (such as when a ; should be used, or the times you should use 'one can', things like that which doesn't stand out so much) and so while I will automatically correct you if you said 'they're instead of 'there' then you are unlikely to notice since I won't tell you, just say it to myself, and if you make a more complex grammar mistake, I most likely won't even notice :lol:

Oh, and IDK H0W 2 REEd Riting wen YA t0LK LYke DiS man, I h8 1t 2 much.......... :wall:

questor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 6:40 pm

Inglis spoke heer! :lol: That being said, I have a problem of my own with the spell check programs. I am an American living in America, but the spell check program for my web mail account, for here at WP, and everywhere else I make posts to, all have British dictionaries! They always give an error symbol (here at WP it's a wavy red underline.) every time I use the American spelling of a word that has a different version for the UK. If I spell the word the UK way the spell check is fine with it, but I'm not. I don't mind reading English spelling in any kind of English writing, but being an American, I naturally prefer to use my native spelling versions of words, not the UK ones, when I am doing my own writing. I can't understand why, since the web sites know I am posting from the USA, they don't use an American dictionary for spell checking my posts. :wall:

I do read, and enjoy some English books, mostly mysteries, and am used to the differences in spelling, so no, I'm not anti UK.

It is said that the UK and the USA are two countries united by a common history, and divided by a common language. :lol: (I may not have got the quote down pat, but this is the gist of it.)

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 8:06 pm

I've never had any trouble as far as spelling is concerned but as I went to a special school I never really learnt grammar so I have difficulty knowing where the commas and things go.