Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 8:06 pm

I've never had any trouble as far as spelling is concerned but as I went to a special school I never really learnt grammar so I have difficulty knowing where the commas and things go.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 8:18 pm

Yes, I mean I can understand it if you're not a good speller but I see no reason to have to type like dis or THIS or tHiS, etc. You get my point. Have some pride in yourself.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

06 Jun 2012, 8:32 pm

I don't understand why people still have trouble with "it's" vs. "its", etc.
I started learning English when I was about 7, when I immigrated to North America, and I didn't even have trouble with it then. :huh:

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 10:04 pm

I've never lived in an english-speaking country, but I feel my grammar and spelling are... fine. I do have a lot of typos when I use the iPad to write, and I've noticed I sometimes use the same word too much, and my choice of words and sentence, and paragraph structure can be too predictable, but... I'll just get better with time.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 11:48 pm

Albirea wrote:
I don't understand why people still have trouble with "it's" vs. "its", etc.
I started learning English when I was about 7, when I immigrated to North America, and I didn't even have trouble with it then. :huh:

They have trouble because "its" is an exception to the usual rule of using an apostrophe to indicate possession.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 11:53 pm

Bad spelling makes me squirm a little bit, but I am quite liberal when it comes to grammar and punctuation.

Many of the so-called grammar and punctuation rules are actually just very modern inventions made up by influential obsessive people who didn't understand English in the first place. And many of these rules are broken all the time by literate native English speakers, even the ones who claim to be grammar Nazis. For example, did you know that according to some of these people, you're not supposed to start a sentence with a conjunction? Did you notice that I already did it in this paragraph?

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2012, 12:40 am

Declension wrote:
Bad spelling makes me squirm a little bit, but I am quite liberal when it comes to grammar and punctuation.

Many of the so-called grammar and punctuation rules are actually just very modern inventions made up by influential obsessive people who didn't understand English in the first place. And many of these rules are broken all the time by literate native English speakers, even the ones who claim to be grammar Nazis. For example, did you know that according to some of these people, you're not supposed to start a sentence with a conjunction? Did you notice that I already did it in this paragraph?

I remember being in elementary/grammar school and our teacher taught us the no-conjunction-starting-a-sentence rule and then let us in on a secret that it wasn't really the rule, it was just what he had to teach us... standardized-testing politics, I suppose.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Jun 2012, 7:24 pm

AspieWolf wrote:
Hear, hear! I would also add correct punctuation.
Fixed that for you. (sorry, couldn't resist :wink: )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2012, 11:52 am

I notice grammar and spelling issues in printed text quickly, rant about it to whomever is listening.

Problem is, my spelling and grammar aren't great either.

My spelling is fine if I take my time and sound out every word, if I get rushed I get errors. It's not that I don't know the word, what it means, how to spell it, my problem is I'm already thinking of the next 12 sentences and my hand is basically doing whatever the hell it wants to. Usage of there, their, your, you're, etc is a problem.

I get hand printing a short note to my boyfriend: "Game of Thrones in my done folder, clean clothes in the dryer, take the dog out please, I love you" but it'll end up "Game of Thronclean clothetake doI love you" Then I stand back to admire my handy work and go WTF?!?!?! :? .... Start over, slow down.

I go through so many post-it notes...

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2012, 12:04 pm

MarthaCannary wrote:
I notice grammar and spelling issues in printed text quickly, rant about it to whomever is listening.

My spelling is fine if I take my time and sound out every word, if I get rushed I get errors. It's not that I don't know the word, what it means, how to spell it, my problem is I'm already thinking of the next 12 sentences and my hand is basically doing whatever the hell it wants to. Usage of there, their, your, you're, etc is a problem.

I get hand printing a short note to my boyfriend: "Game of Thrones in my done folder, clean clothes in the dryer, take the dog out please, I love you" but it'll end up "Game of Thronclean clothetake doI love you" Then I stand back to admire my handy work and go WTF?!?!?! :? .... Start over, slow down.

Well at least you got the "I love you" part complete. :wink:

On average it takes me about 3-4 post-it note drafts to write a presentable post-it note at work.

brawnybalboa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jun 2012, 8:34 am

Interestingly enough, incorrect word usage does also annoy me greatly. For example whilst in school I would hear fellow students saying "Can I lend an eraser?" instead of "Can you lend me an eraser", or "I don't know nothing" as opposed to "I don't know anything".

Another source of annoyance I find is using the wrong spelling of a word. For example I often see American sports writers talk about a team "Jelling" together, or taking time to "Jel". The correct spelling are Gelling and Gel respectively. Another example I often see is spelling too as to (ie it is to cold in here).

EDIT: The tremendous irony is that when coding the colour for this post, I forgot to revert to the american spelling and the text came out black

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2012, 10:40 am

I make a lot of grammar mistakes in English, maybe I am making them right now, because English is my second language. When my friends dare to use incorrect grammar or spelling, I have to tell them that they are wrong. I believe that's why I am hated by a great number of people.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2012, 2:21 pm

Senath wrote:
MarthaCannary wrote:

Well at least you got the "I love you" part complete. :wink:

On average it takes me about 3-4 post-it note drafts to write a presentable post-it note at work.

The "I Love You" part only started after an ex of mine made a nasty comment about me not dropping terms of endearment on my notes. Now it's programmed in there. I've even told the cable company I loved them in an email once.... Good thing I almost always proof read everything I write. :roll:

I despise writing formal letters, Opening lines in a letter and a closing statement.... I usually never bother. Just get the information down and fire it off.

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2012, 2:52 pm

Haha, I hate vocalizing the "I love you"s. My fiance brought up that he doesn't need me to say "I love you" every time one calls the other and we're hanging up, so I stopped because I'd rather not have to think about doing it every time, and then later he mentioned that he likes hearing it from me every now and then and was sad that I stopped. :roll:

So now I have to figure out how to sneak in some "I love you"s without going over the top.

Now I've noticed the Game of Thrones part of your comment again and want to get caught up...

keef
Raven
Raven

09 Jun 2012, 3:42 pm

redrobin62

I think your signature should read, "If you think he's eloquent now, just wait until he's sober!" :wink:

Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

I love carving: www.wrongplanet.net/postxf8620-0-2276.html

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 4:41 pm

I'm not fanatical about it by any means, but it does get on my nerves if someone can't at least produce something decent. If I can easily figure out what message someone is trying to get across to me, that's all I really care about. I'm not grading English papers, I'm posting on an internet forum :lol:

You will reap what you've sown.