Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

KAS
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jun 2012, 11:35 am

OK, my youngest clearly learns social behavior by copying the children she sees in films.

I learned this the hard way when I let her watch Lilo and Stitch over and over and over... and she began to act like Lilo. Lilo had some issues with acting out and that was NOT a happy addition to the family dynamic!

So this kid started responding to anything even a little overwhelming like Lilo in the argument with her sister, face to the floor and screams, and no verbal answers except NO which didn't answer anything. Then in the end the sister brought her Pizza and they snuggled-- and so I have been frustrated by her acting out.

I need movies with little girls who demonstrate good social behaviors and polite verbal responses to questions. I want her to be able to watch these movies and do what she already is doing and study the behavior patterns.

She also learns from her cousin who is a well behaved NT with excellent social skills and about 2 year older. Every time we travel to visit my child improves her verbal noticeably. I am leery of most social because she does copy so much.

Anyone have any luck with the Highlights Magazine pages with Goofus and Gallant for demonstrating good and not good social behavior? I remember being mesmerized by those little pictures as a child.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions?

anticipate
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jun 2012, 1:23 pm

I don't know how old your daughter is, but the Strawberry Shortcake movies are pretty good. There are several girls in each, they are always polite and sweet to each other.. each episode seems to mostly revolve around a mis-understanding of some sort, then everyone makes up and plays nicely again, lol. My daughter loves them. Same for the Tinkerbell movies.

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 1:30 pm

OMG with my son, movies can be a nightmare. Simple, harmless movies can be my worst enemy...for example, Beverly Hills Chauaua 2, my son watched it and then peed on my floor, he was acting like the dog who peed on the bankers papers. He would crawl around barking and wanting to lick and sniff people. Meanwhile, he NEVER immitates good behavior around him, but give him a movie and he can reenact it to a T!

It is just hit or miss which moveis he will react to, and which he will let roll off his back. I have since banned that movie from my house!

good luck :)

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

KAS

07 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

I relate, Lilo and Stitch is banned here.

I tried the Shirley Temple movie, The Little Princess, and that didn't get her attention at all-- but I loved loved loved that movie as a child.

She did get all excited at the Dogs in the City episode that showed the little girl with the Bernese Mountain Dog, she then wanted to keep our dog on a leash with her all the time. It did not last though as the reality of being tethered to the family dog is not always as cool as the idea of being tethered to the family dog. I would have loved it.

I remember the book, My Sister, The Horse, when I was a child and I wore string halters and bridles and ran around pretending to be a horse too. We made jumping courses and pretended to be horses all around the courses, and played cowboys and wild horses, etc. All because I insisted on being a horse. I actually influenced the play of the entire neighborhood.

My mom was a trooper about the being a horse phase. She let me have converse tennis shoes in black so that I could pretend to have black hooves.

I was so disappointed that my child did not take to Hermione from the Harry Potter stories. I'm going to try reading the Borrowers to her next.

PenguinMom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2012, 3:22 pm

My daughter learned social behaviors from the Tinkerbell movies. Depending upon your child's ability, you may want to watch with her and explain, whenever Tink holds her breath,nit shows that she is going to make a poor choice.

Strawberry Shortcake is another house favorite.

ConfusedNewb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2012, 3:43 pm

My little girl loves Lilo and Stitch and she tells me Im Nani and shes Lilo when they are having an arguement. She acts out the very same scene, I know exactly what you are talking about!! We had a period of her licking windows like Stitch in the first scene and she would repeat the made up obscenity he says too lol. She too will take on the role of things shes seen and wont let it go, like being a dog for the day, or deciding shes another little girl and will go on about my daughter being dead :(

I find a lot of kids programmes, films and books that have morals are not good for my 4yo, she only listens to the bit where they are doing something wrong and not to the ending where they realise it was wrong and all learn from their mistakes so the moral is lost on her, she reckons she will be more careful and better at whatever bad thing they do. She is now hooked on Spongebob which although thoroughly purile and silly she loves it and the things they do are so odd and unrealistic theres no way she can copy, she still quotes from it but at least shes not acting it out. She tells me Im Squidward!

My inlaws bought her some books all about emotions, including jealousy, feeling sad, angry etc and we noticed she started taking on these emotions, she seemed worried and was having bad dreams, we started to limit the books to just the happy, loved, kind ones and she was better! She still wanted the books every night but eventually came round and agreed it was giving her bad dreams.

Now we avoid all things with any kind of moral and let her watch the silly stuff. She also loves old ones like Wizard of Oz and Sesame Street originals. Maybe older films could be the answer, everyones well spoken and overly polite! Ive had to go out and get her a Dorothy costume and she sits and watches it wearing the outfit and clinging to her little Toto dog, its very sweet :)

Hope this helps, let us know if you find any good ones as I might need them too!!