Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 12:48 am

I read some theories about a possible connection between autism and testosterone.

I'm thinking about ordering oxytocin and there I noticed that if I order it I would take 4 hormones:
1) thyroxine
2) testosterone
3) melatonin
4) oxytocin

I'm not taking any other medication, also because I usually have huge problems tolerate medication

I was thinking, if autism has to do with several hormones?

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 4:36 am

No. It's caused by less connections between brain areas.

There are studies about oxytocin and that autistic people would behave more socially after they had applied oxytocin nasal spray.

Melatonin is not much likely to cause problems, but i wonder about testosterone if you're female and would be extremely careful with thyroxine since it can mess up your thyroid gland.

The assumed connection between autism and testosterone is that embryos who are exposed to high testosterone levels in the womb could be more prone to develop the aforementioned different brain structure.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 5:12 am

No, I take testosterone and thyroxine because I have to.
My body doesn't produce enough.
I become it from a physician.

Without melatonin I have problems falling asleep and it helps me alot.

My theory is that there are different reasons why a person becomes autistic.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 9:05 am

To clarify it, I take all hormones out of different reasons:

Thyroxine was the first one since I'm 14, because I don't produce enough and I have to.

Testosterone was the next one. I'm taking it since a year. My body doesn't produce enough and so I'm since then in puberty! :D

Melatonin was the next one. I'm taking it because I have some trouble sleeping. Nothing else worked for me and since then I'm sleeping.

I thought the days about ordering oxytocin and I still haven't decidet that, because of my autism.

But it would be the fourth hormone and because all of them are hormones, I thought about a connection?
Maybe autistic people have more often trouble with producing some hormones right!? :?

Last edited by Raziel on 11 Jun 2012, 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Amarikah
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2012, 4:00 pm

Hormones still aren't well understood by the medical community, and their connection to psychology and neurobiology is a huge puzzle that we haven't come close to figuring out yet.

I wouldn't self medicate on hormones. I started up on taking my estrogen tablets (I don't produce enough as a woman) after being off of them for 2 months (finances prevented me from getting them, $30 a month can be really expensive when you're unemployed w/no benefits whatsoever, looking for temp jobs) and guess what?

I had what looked like a classic stroke. I'm younger than 25. That's not something you have until late adulthood at earliest. I've had migraines since, and that was April 23rd.

I had been fine with those pills for months, and then out of nowhere--BAM. That was that.
Don't do that to yourself.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2012, 4:30 pm

I'm on full thyroid replacement -- 2 grains Armour (desiccated pig thyroid) and 150mcg synthetic t4 -- initially self-diagnosed, but needed a medical diagnosis to get the prescription meds.

One thing that made me initially suspect hypothyroid is when I took herbs to stimulate my thyroid, I felt a bit better, but developed difficulty swallowing -- I concluded that my thyroid isn't capable of producing enough, even if properly stimulated and then went in search of a medical diagnosis so I could get the meds.

I take 30 mg of melatonin a night to sleep, which I suspect is full replacement -- without it sleep occurs when I drop from exhaustion. I've been taking this amount since the mid '90's I also listen to delta music while I sleep -- an 8 hour playlist that ends when I'm scheduled to wake up.

I haven't tried Oxytocin yet, but am focusing on making certain I have plenty of the precursors for it.

I have noticed that the Pituitary seems to be a common thread through all of these -- perhaps it isn't sending out the correct signals, or the same genes that cause the autism also adversely impact the Pituitary?

(hacking my own system has long been a special interest of mine . . .can you tell ? :-) )

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2012, 4:32 pm

Amarikah wrote:
Hormones still aren't well understood by the medical community, and their connection to psychology and neurobiology is a huge puzzle that we haven't come close to figuring out yet.

I wouldn't self medicate on hormones. I started up on taking my estrogen tablets (I don't produce enough as a woman) after being off of them for 2 months (finances prevented me from getting them, $30 a month can be really expensive when you're unemployed w/no benefits whatsoever, looking for temp jobs) and guess what?

I had what looked like a classic stroke. I'm younger than 25. That's not something you have until late adulthood at earliest. I've had migraines since, and that was April 23rd.

I had been fine with those pills for months, and then out of nowhere--BAM. That was that.
Don't do that to yourself.

Look at what happens during late adulthood -- your hormone levels naturally decrease. You weren't making enough and went back to not having enough.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 4:52 am

What I know is that entactogens (e.g. MDMA) are purported to work by increasing oxytocin - it's not certain, as chemically they usually modulate both serotonin and dopamine, but no other agonists induce the same desire to connect socially, and as such oxytocin is suspected.

If you give it a try do post the aftereffects.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 5:32 am

Mootoo wrote:

I decidet first to try something totally different:
tyrosine and rhodiola rosea for my mood.

There were two mainreasons for this decission:
a) I don't want to try all at the same time.
b) oxytocin has a half-life of 1-6 min. and that's not long at all.

Maybe I'll try it later on, but oxytocin didn't really convinced me at this moment with it's really short half-life. Maybe in a fiew years it is available with a longer half-life.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

Raziel wrote:
Mootoo wrote:

I decidet first to try something totally different:
tyrosine and rhodiola rosea for my mood.

There were two mainreasons for this decission:
a) I don't want to try all at the same time.
b) oxytocin has a half-life of 1-6 min. and that's not long at all.

Maybe I'll try it later on, but oxytocin didn't really convinced me at this moment with it's really short half-life. Maybe in a fiew years it is available with a longer half-life.

1 to 6 min half-life sounds like something to have on hand for particularly difficult times, to avert a meltdown or break a shutdown, not for routine everyday use.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 4:37 pm

Raziel wrote:
I was thinking, if autism has to do with several hormones?

Hmm. There might be something to that. It would explain why so many people on the spectrum seem to look younger than their age, among other things. I do take melatonin too - it works wonders for my sleep.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 2:26 am

CuriousKitten wrote:
1 to 6 min half-life sounds like something to have on hand for particularly difficult times, to avert a meltdown or break a shutdown, not for routine everyday use.

I talked yesterday with a friend about is who is taking estrogen and she sayed it doesn't matter so much how long the half-life of the hormone is, so long it has reached the receptors and than it works.
I'm a bit confused about that and I want to inform myself about how hormones work exactly.

But I read somewere else that there is just a bit oxytocin in the nasal-spray who also has to reach the brain. So it will be even less who will reach the brain with a very short half-live.

edgewaters wrote:
Hmm. There might be something to that. It would explain why so many people on the spectrum seem to look younger than their age, among other things. I do take melatonin too - it works wonders for my sleep.

Yes, it would also explain why there is a high number of autistics who have problemy with their thyrod or other hormonproducing organs and other thinks. I came very late into puberty and I also look younger.
I also don't know any autistic man who looks like a bear. I don't say that they don't exist, but many autistic males behave actually a bit more female than NT-males and the same is also true for autistic females who behave very often a bit male.