Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 9:16 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:
My favorite is Thor in Germanic Mythology.

I tend to appreciate Wodan/Odin the most, as he typifies the battle lust, constant change in fortune, and ultimate glorious doom in not only Germanic myth, but also in Germanic Pre-Christian culture.
Not that I'd trade my longevity and cushy, peaceful life for that.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

On the other hand, Odin is also a double-dealing bastard second only to Loki, and at least Loki has an excuse.

When thinking about Odin/Wodan, I think back to the Danish Hrolf Kraki's Saga, with the memorable line, "Odin, the foul and untrue, who gives victory to cowards who deserve it not."
As a deity associated with war, I think the sudden change of fortune for the combatants would cause them to believe that the All Father was f*****g with them.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 9:22 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

I tend to appreciate Wodan/Odin the most, as he typifies the battle lust, constant change in fortune, and ultimate glorious doom in not only Germanic myth, but also in Germanic Pre-Christian culture.

On the other hand, Odin is also a double-dealing bastard second only to Loki, and at least Loki has an excuse.

When thinking about Odin/Wodan, I think back to the Danish Hrolf Kraki's Saga, with the memorable line, "Odin, the foul and untrue, who gives victory to cowards who deserve it not."
As a deity associated with war, I think the sudden change of fortune for the combatants would cause them to believe that the All Father was f***ing with them.

He was I wish Odin was real though.

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2012, 9:51 pm

Joker wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

As a deity associated with war, I think the sudden change of fortune for the combatants would cause them to believe that the All Father was f***ing with them.

I don't. Those are some brilliant stories to read and made for great writing and RPG fodder, but Odin is a total as*hole and makes zero apologies for it. I'll pass.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 11:01 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Joker wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

I don't. Those are some brilliant stories to read and made for great writing and RPG fodder, but Odin is a total as*hole and makes zero apologies for it. I'll pass.

At least his son Thor is cool

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2012, 11:53 pm

If you like your heroic myths with a more Christian flavor, you might try and read Beowulf.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 12:38 am

Evinceo wrote:
If you like your heroic myths with a more Christian flavor, you might try and read Beowulf.

Beowulf, like the Nibelungenlied, had been recorded in Christian times, and so the most pagan elements had been eradicated.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jun 2012, 12:42 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Evinceo wrote:

Beowulf, like the Nibelungenlied, had been recorded in Christian times, and so the most pagan elements had been eradicated.

I wrote a college essay on that exact point-they also inserted several Christian sections, but all in places where it would be easy to swap in a verse or two.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 12:48 am

Evinceo wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Evinceo wrote:

I wrote a college essay on that exact point-they also inserted several Christian sections, but all in places where it would be easy to swap in a verse or two.

Fascinating. What did you study in college?

rober
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jun 2012, 8:03 am

Same here, The gods of the Greek pantheon are divided here into several categories. The first three of these--the Olympian gods, Titan gods, & primeval gods--represent the three different generations of gods to rule the cosmos. The next five categories divide the gods according to domain, namely the gods of sky, sea, earth and underworld. The final category contains personifications, those gods and spirits which represented abstract ideas, human emotions and conditions.