Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 4:53 am

Joker wrote:
Norse mythology is awesome.

I personally prefer the term Norse-Germanic, or just Northern, as it would encompass the myths of other believers (Germanic and Anglo-Saxon) outside of Scandinavia.
But yes, Greek (or if you prefer, Greco-Roman or Classical) myths give us a window into the behavior and morals of the ancient peoples involved.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Aelfwine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jun 2012, 6:06 am

I think that Homer was one of the first fantasy writers.
I read the Trojan wars some years ago and forgot much but I want to read it again.
I'm reading Histories from Herodot. It is more a history book but there are also some interesting stories in the book.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 5:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

I personally prefer the term Norse-Germanic, or just Northern, as it would encompass the myths of other believers (Germanic and Anglo-Saxon) outside of Scandinavia.
But yes, Greek (or if you prefer, Greco-Roman or Classical) myths give us a window into the behavior and morals of the ancient peoples involved.

The Romans readily combined their gods with that of the Greeks., The only god that did not have a Roman counterpart was Apollo. The Romans co-opted him straight on.

If anything, the Romans were strickter in their rituals honoring the gods than the Greeks. After a while the Greeks stopped taking their gods seriously.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 5:53 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

The Romans readily combined their gods with that of the Greeks., The only god that did not have a Roman counterpart was Apollo. The Romans co-opted him straight on.

If anything, the Romans were strickter in their rituals honoring the gods than the Greeks. After a while the Greeks stopped taking their gods seriously.

ruveyn

The Romans had had a sun god called Hyperion, which could be seen as a counterpart of Apollo. In fact, Hyperion's worship lasted right up to the point where Roman paganism became illegal. One of his most ardent worshipers was - wait for it, wait for it - Constantine!
He worshiped Hyperion even after he had legalized Christianity.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 5:57 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

The Romans had had a sun god called Hyperion, which could be seen as a counterpart of Apollo. In fact, Hyperion's worship lasted right up to the point where Roman paganism became illegal. One of his most ardent worshipers was - wait for it, wait for it - Constantine!

The the Son of God to the God of Sun.

If Constantine had not eaten those wacky mushrooms before the battle the Milvan Bridge history would have been much different.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 6:06 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The the Son of God to the God of Sun.

If Constantine had not eaten those wacky mushrooms before the battle the Milvan Bridge history would have been much different.

ruveyn

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bettalove
Raven
Raven

12 Jun 2012, 8:40 pm

I love all kinds of mythology and fable. The older stories about magic, gods, strange creatures are very enjoyable.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 9:36 am

bettalove wrote:
I love all kinds of mythology and fable. The older stories about magic, gods, strange creatures are very enjoyable.

Think of Greek and Roman mythology as science fiction, before there was science.

By the way, Apollo shows up on Star Trek in the episode "Who weeps for Adonis".

The Greek and Roman gods were a sorry lot. Horny, dysfunctional and ill behaved. Yaweh might have had a Bad Temper but He did not go about screwing maidens. (And forget about the Virgin Mary. She was done by a Roman centurian or a randy Jewish shepherd).

ruveyn

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 3:08 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

Germanic Mythology is cool.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 3:55 pm

Joker wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

Germanic Mythology is cool.

It certainly is. Obviously, the majority of myths that had been recorded by Snorri Sturlason had been the beliefs of late era pagans of Iceland, and thus, its home country of Norway. Not every Germanic country would probably have exactly the same myths. But they did share most of the same gods, such as:
Odin of Scandinavia, who was Wodan, Woden, Or Wotan of the continental Germans and Anglo-Saxons.
Thor of the Scandinavians was Donar or Thunor of the Germans and Anglo-Saxons.
The Scandinavian Tyre or Tiu was the German or Anglo-Saxon Tiwaz, Tiuz, Ziu, etc.
Baldur appears to have gone by that name everywhere.
Saxnot seems to have been restricted to the Anglo-Saxons and continental Saxons.
Narihana worship seems to have been restricted to western Germany, the Netherkands, and Belgium among the Istvaeone or Escvaeone sub-cultural group. Though she may have been the same as Nerthus of the Ingvione tribes of north Germany and Denmark.
The Norweigen Ymir, the Frost Giant whose death brought about the birth of the world and mankind, was Teveste in Sweden, and Tuisco among the continental Germans.
The first man in Scandinavian myth was Ask, while among the Germans, he was apparently called Esc.
And so on. In other words, some deities were only local in nature, while others enjoyed universal adoration.
And of course, the German Rhineland story of Siegfried the dragon slayer, Brunhilda the Sheild Maiden, and the Burgundian/Hunnish war recounted in the Niebilungenlied is remembered only superficially differently as the Scandinavian Volsungsaga, where the principle characters are Sigurd the dragon slayer and Brynhild the Valkyrie.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 3:59 pm

My favorite is Thor in Germanic Mythology.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 5:31 pm

Joker wrote:

I tend to appreciate Wodan/Odin the most, as he typifies the battle lust, constant change in fortune, and ultimate glorious doom in not only Germanic myth, but also in Germanic Pre-Christian culture.
Not that I'd trade my longevity and cushy, peaceful life for that.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 6:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

I tend to appreciate Wodan/Odin the most, as he typifies the battle lust, constant change in fortune, and ultimate glorious doom in not only Germanic myth, but also in Germanic Pre-Christian culture.

Yes that is very true Germanic Pre-Christian culture is very interesting.

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2012, 8:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

On the other hand, Odin is also a double-dealing bastard second only to Loki, and at least Loki has an excuse.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 8:16 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

On the other hand, Odin is also a double-dealing bastard second only to Loki, and at least Loki has an excuse.

Loki the God of Mischeif that is his excuse. Odin is just awesome though

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2012, 8:17 pm

Joker wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

Loki the God of Mischeif that is his excuse. Odin is just awesome though

Mischief is his excuse for the pranks. Being Loki the Giant's Son is AN excuse for the murders and betrayal. Knowing that Odin is going to murder his son Narfi and use his entrails to bind Loki beneath the earth is also a pretty big one.