Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 3:57 pm

Does anyone have a interest or find Greek mythology interesting?

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 5:40 pm

Yes. Same with Norse.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 6:19 pm

Norse mythology is awesome.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 9:25 pm

Joker wrote:

It gives rise to some interesting and amusing stories.

ruveyn

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 9:25 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

ruveyn

Yes and inspired many religions.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 9:28 pm

Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

ruveyn

I am not sure what can be inspired by a dysfunctional family and randy and capricious gods that live on top of a second rate mountain (Olympus). The gods are a disgrace. They behave badly.

ruveyn

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 9:29 pm

I guess some pagans have their own verison but life would be interesting if Greek Mythology was real.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 10:55 pm

I find it very interesting. Or at least, I did when I was younger. I has been some time since I have read any books on mythology. However, reading the Illiad and re-reading the Odyssey are on my summer list.

Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

ruveyn

Greek mythology didn't inspire much in any other religion -- Greek religious practices did. It is not the same thing. The gods the Greek and Romans actually worshiped were not those of the myths, in two ways: 1) the most present ones in people's daily dealings, like the Roman goddess Vesta, are rarely present in myths; 2) when they gave an offering to Poseidon, for example, they weren't thinking about how he helped build the walls of Troy with Apollo, they wanted only to be warded against storms at sea. The myths themselves were interesting, mutable stories in the background, with a strong symbolic and educational value, like, for example, the tower of Babel in Christianity, but it wasn't the religion itself.

Last edited by enrico_dandolo on 09 Jun 2012, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 11:00 pm

enrico_dandolo wrote:
Greek mythology didn't inspire much in any other religion. Greek religious practices did. It is not the same thing. The gods the Greek and Romans actually worshiped were not those of the myths, in two ways: 1) the most present ones in people's daily dealings, like the Roman goddess Vesta, are rarely very present in myths 2) when they gave an offering to Poseidon, for example, they weren't thinking about how helped build the walls of Troy, they wanted only to be warded against storms at sea. The myths themselves were interesting, mutable stories in the background, with a strong symbolic and educational value, like, for example, the tower of Babel in Christianity, but it wasn't the religion itself.

Interesting.

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 4:33 pm

Joker wrote:
I prefer to regard it as "Olympianism," and I am presently interrupting studies in ancient Levantine religions to try toiling through some old Latin language documents that only desiccated scholars really care about these days. I do find it somewhat interesting, but there are other fish in the sea.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 11:52 pm

enrico_dandolo wrote:
I find it very interesting. Or at least, I did when I was younger. I has been some time since I have read any books on mythology. However, reading the Illiad and re-reading the Odyssey are on my summer list.

Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

ruveyn

Greek mythology didn't inspire much in any other religion -- Greek religious practices did. It is not the same thing. The gods the Greek and Romans actually worshiped were not those of the myths, in two ways: 1) the most present ones in people's daily dealings, like the Roman goddess Vesta, are rarely present in myths; 2) when they gave an offering to Poseidon, for example, they weren't thinking about how he helped build the walls of Troy with Apollo, they wanted only to be warded against storms at sea. The myths themselves were interesting, mutable stories in the background, with a strong symbolic and educational value, like, for example, the tower of Babel in Christianity, but it wasn't the religion itself.

Well- the point is that Greek Mythology did not effect any non greek "religion". The Greek brand of Paganism died out with the rise of Christianity. But the themes in Greek Mythology did inspire much of the secular art, and literature of the Christian West-especially during and after the Renaissance, and it continues to inspire Hollywood even today.They had some good stories.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 6:06 pm

WilliamWDelaney wrote:
Joker wrote:
I prefer to regard it as "Olympianism," and I am presently interrupting studies in ancient Levantine religions to try toiling through some old Latin language documents that only desiccated scholars really care about these days. I do find it somewhat interesting, but there are other fish in the sea.

Very good point I loved studying it in High School.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2012, 9:35 pm

Antigone and the Odyssey are both epic.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 9:40 pm

Evinceo wrote:
Antigone and the Odyssey are both epic.

The Odyssey is pretty cool.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 10:34 pm

I love Orpheus' style!

Charms his way into hell to get his girl back, makes it out alive.

Shows his humanity by giving into doubt, loses dead girl. Maintains his integrity to the bitter end. Sings the name of his true love with his final breath.

If you're a musician, you gotsta respect that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 4:53 am

Joker wrote:
Norse mythology is awesome.

I personally prefer the term Norse-Germanic, or just Northern, as it would encompass the myths of other believers (Germanic and Anglo-Saxon) outside of Scandinavia.
But yes, Greek (or if you prefer, Greco-Roman or Classical) myths give us a window into the behavior and morals of the ancient peoples involved.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer