When would slavery in the Southern States have ended...

Page 17 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

When would Slavery have ended, had Lincoln not intervened?
By 1875 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
By 1900 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
By 1925 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
By 1950 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
By 1975 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
By 2000 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
By 2025 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Never 26%  26%  [ 13 ]
Just show the results 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 50

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 12:32 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
This isn't a human rights lawsuit, this homosexual couple did this to bully a religious institution.

Those damned militant gays always bullying people!! !

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 12:38 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
This isn't a human rights lawsuit, this homosexual couple did this to bully a religious institution.

Actually there are militant homosexual groups, they aren't typically covered by the Politically Correct lamestream media...

I'm not saying that most homosexual individuals are a part of any of those groups, however that using lawsuits as a form of harassment is actually just the tip of the iceberg, these groups have done a lot worse than lawsuit harassment, including threatening phone calls, finding where people work and then harassing them at their own workplace, etc.

It's why Conservative groups are refusing to turn over donor lists, because they know that those lists will be turned over to various left wing groups so that those groups can harass Conservatives.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 12:49 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Actually there are militant homosexual groups, they aren't typically covered by the Politically Correct lamestream media...

I'm not saying that most homosexual individuals are a part of any of those groups, however that using lawsuits as a form of harassment is actually just the tip of the iceberg, these groups have done a lot worse than lawsuit harassment, including threatening phone calls, finding where people work and then harassing them at their own workplace, etc.

It's why Conservative groups are refusing to turn over donor lists, because they know that those lists will be turned over to various left wing groups so that those groups can harass Conservatives.

What are these groups called? Do you have any way to verify anything you said, or are you trusting your gut + Fox News? Fox is just another part of the mainstream media, btw, there to entertain, not inform. A lot of people consider the "Fox News Selective Outrage Machine" to be a prime form of entertainment; those who buy into it, who's blood gets boiling and mind gets filled with righteous outrage; and those who find it extremely hilarious that anybody buys into that garbage

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 12:53 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
What ends up happening is that repeated lawsuits by the same groups of people continually chip away at the resources of local congregations until they're financially beaten into submission, or at least into silence. The church can win all the appeals it wants. But at the end of the day there's a lawyer who goes home with a big, fat check. For the other side to win, they don't necessarily have to win the court battle.

What I think should happen is that every time someone brings this kind of lawsuit against a church, the church should counter-sue on civil rights violations. It's not so much that I think churches should be involved extensively in the legal process or file frivolous claims. I don't think that's very Christ-like. But I also think that if various groups can sue the church into silence, it's only fair that an individual church can act to prevent the same thing from happening to others.

I don't think these predatory lawsuits from leftist bigots are going to work for much longer. Some states are starting to pass laws where using junk lawsuits as a form of harassment is an actually a crime and legal action can be taken against people in that advent.

One can only hope. Just out of curiosity, do you have any links or references to cases that have been thrown out or any actual pending legislation to that effect? I've heard of instances where groups have lost in preventing churches from meeting in, say, public schools, but I can't recall any specific cases or their results.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

While you may consider the church to be a bunch of bigots, I consider the homosexual couple and the groups that funded their predatory lawsuit to be a group of bigots. They could easily have found a place to host their wedding that was not owned by a church, they chose that location deliberately in order to be able to sue. That is using lawsuits as a form of harassment visagrunt, something that I'm glad more and more states are considering lawsuit harassment to be a form of criminal behavior.

Given the choice between believing you, and believing a judge ruling on the instant case in a court of competent jurisdiction, I'm going to believe the judge.

The church had every opportunity to demonstrate that the couples' complaints (there was more than one) were frivilous or vexatious (the legal term for bullying by lawsuit). They either chose not to, or failed to discharge the onus of proof.

I don't disagree that litigation is misused in the United States as a means of intimidation--and it is misused by large interests just as often as by individuals. But once a judge has decided that a suit has sufficient merit to be heard, you can no longer claim that a suit is baseless. And if a suit has sufficient merit to be hear, then it is incumbent on tribunals to hear them.

The answer here is not to nonsuit plaintiffs and complainants, it is to make the process of adjudication less cumbersome and expensive. But that hardly suits the interests of the legal profession, so I suspect we may be waiting a while for that particular innovation.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 5:21 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Hospitals that are owned by the Catholic Church absolutely refuse to perform tubal ligations and (whatever the male operation is called)

There was a recent crackdown on this policy in Catholic hospitals here in California; prior to the crackdown, it was not at all unusual for Ob-Gyns to perform tubals after c-sections at the request of the patient, or for possible exacerbations of medical conditions with future pregnancies. It is still not strictly verboten, but what constitutes 'medical necessity' has been narrowed into effective prohibition. As a result, the system I work for is without a director of obstetrics because the previous one resigned his directorship and all of the other Ob-Gyns are refusing to take the position as well.