Page 15 of 17 [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Ronald Reagan was a:
Hero! 25%  25%  [ 14 ]
Villain! 53%  53%  [ 29 ]
Meh, I don't know. Just show the results. 22%  22%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 55

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 10:55 am

androbot2084 -- We did not lose the Vietnam War. We finally realized what we knew at the beginning, we could never win, so we withdrew.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 10:58 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

Well, he didn't put a stop to stopping it.

The President is obliged to execute the laws of congress.

ruveyn

Which is something that Mr. Reagan failed to do when he felt like it.

It is up to the House of Representatives to take action by passing a Bill of Impeachment (which is an indictment and the beginning of a trial procedures which could end up by removing the sitting President from office). The House did no such thing.

ruveyn

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 11:57 am

ruveyn wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

ruveyn

It is up to the House of Representatives to take action by passing a Bill of Impeachment (which is an indictment and the beginning of a trial procedures which could end up by removing the sitting President from office). The House did no such thing.

ruveyn

What Ronald Reagan did was considerably more horrible than receive a blow job.

Speaking of which--Ronald Reagan did fall prey to one of the oldest tricks in the book.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-10-22/ ... y-reagan/2

Quote:
Similarly, she admits that Ronald Reagan initially was reluctant to get married again after his divorce from Jane Wyman and says she gradually persuaded him, but she reveals little about how she did so. She does, however, admit what has long been known--that the two announced their engagement in late February, 1952, were married 12 days later and that their daughter, Patti, was born "a bit precipitously" seven-and-a-half months after that. "Go ahead and count" is about all she says on the subject.

This, from the "Just Say 'NO!'" Lady herself.

He is our only president who committed divorce and serial polygamy.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 3:36 pm

He is also our only president who relied heavily upon an astrologer for guidance.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/ar ... 22,00.html

And, the lout managed to convince a lot of people that he was a Christian, even though he never participated in worship services.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 3:59 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
He is also our only president who relied heavily upon an astrologer for guidance.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/ar ... 22,00.html

And, the lout managed to convince a lot of people that he was a Christian, even though he never participated in worship services.

As I understand, Ronny claimed he was a Campbellite, which practices an anti-trinitarian theology. That's a no-no for both mainline Christians and evangelicals.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 5:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

ruveyn

You have Reagan confused with Barack Obama.

Not at all, and this thread is about Ronald Reagan. Stop trying to change the subject, or I'll tell a moderator on you and get you in trouble. Barack Obama had nothing to do with the Iran-Contra scandal.

1. You assume Reagan knew about Iran-Contra, hate to break this to you but the President doesn't necessarily know about every black-ops. There is something known as plausible deniablity, because they never bothered to tell him...

2. It was an ongoing black-ops operation where Reagan could either jeopardize the lives of a bunch of CIA agents or lie (and I don't think Reagan was ever under oath to begin with). Jeopardizing the safety of CIA agents on an active mission is fairly close to treason...

Another thing, this is entirely relevant to Obama, because you're accusing Reagan of things that Obama does on a regular basis.

Now, I know you want to go back to demonizing a great American President to distract from how awful Barack Obama has been as a President, but I'm gonna call you out on it.

Huh... Then if Reagan was out of the loop with Iran/Contra, then I guess it's completely reasonable that Obama knew nothing about Fast & Furious.

If that is the case, then Obama pulled an extremely boneheaded move today.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 9:57 pm

Ronald Reagan was quite brazen in his war of terror against Nicaragua, and arrogantly flouted international law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaragua_v._United_States

Quote:
The Republic of Nicaragua v. The United States of America was a 1984 case of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in which the ICJ ruled in favor of Nicaragua and against the United States and awarded reparations to Nicaragua. The ICJ held that the U.S. had violated international law by supporting the Contras in their rebellion against the Nicaraguan government and by mining Nicaragua's harbors. The United States refused to participate in the proceedings after the Court rejected its argument that the ICJ lacked jurisdiction to hear the case. The U.S. later blocked enforcement of the judgment by the United Nations Security Council and thereby prevented Nicaragua from obtaining any actual compensation. The Nicaraguan government finally withdrew the complaint from the court in September 1992 (under the later, post-FSLN, government of Violeta Chamorro), following a repeal of the law requiring the country to seek compensation.

The Court found in its verdict that the United States was "in breach of its obligations under customary international law not to use force against another State", "not to intervene in its affairs", "not to violate its sovereignty", "not to interrupt peaceful maritime commerce", and "in breach of its obligations under Article XIX of the Treaty of Friendship, Commerce and Navigation between the Parties signed at Managua on 21 January 1956."

The Court had 16 final decisions upon which it voted. In Statement 9, the Court stated that the U.S. encouraged human rights violations by the Contras by the manual entitled Psychological Operations in Guerrilla Warfare.

The manual recommended “selective use of violence for propagandistic effects” and to “neutralize” (i.e., kill) government officials. Nicaraguan Contras were taught to lead demonstrators into clashes with the authorities, to provoke riots or shootings, which lead to the killing of one or more persons, who will be seen as the martyrs; "this situation should be taken advantage of immediately against the Government to create even bigger conflicts." The manual also recommended: "selective use of armed force for PSYOP [psychological operations] effect.... Carefully selected, planned targets — judges, police officials, tax collectors, etc. — may be removed for PSYOP effect in a UWOA [unconventional warfare operations area], but extensive precautions must ensure that the people “concur” in such an act by thorough explanatory canvassing among the affected populace before and after conduct of the mission."

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 10:44 pm

Reaganomics is reverse Robin Hood.

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2012, 11:07 pm

All I can say is that I am personally not a fan. I just don't see logic behind his policies, other than the darker obvious one (making the rich richer).

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 11:13 pm

I think that if you're going to ding Reagan for Nicaragua, it's only fair to also examine the much larger proxy war in Afghanistan quarterbacked by the House Democrats at the same time, the one with much larger repercussions.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 11:32 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

ruveyn

Not at all, and this thread is about Ronald Reagan. Stop trying to change the subject, or I'll tell a moderator on you and get you in trouble. Barack Obama had nothing to do with the Iran-Contra scandal.

1. You assume Reagan knew about Iran-Contra, hate to break this to you but the President doesn't necessarily know about every black-ops. There is something known as plausible deniablity, because they never bothered to tell him...

2. It was an ongoing black-ops operation where Reagan could either jeopardize the lives of a bunch of CIA agents or lie (and I don't think Reagan was ever under oath to begin with). Jeopardizing the safety of CIA agents on an active mission is fairly close to treason...

Another thing, this is entirely relevant to Obama, because you're accusing Reagan of things that Obama does on a regular basis.

Now, I know you want to go back to demonizing a great American President to distract from how awful Barack Obama has been as a President, but I'm gonna call you out on it.

Huh... Then if Reagan was out of the loop with Iran/Contra, then I guess it's completely reasonable that Obama knew nothing about Fast & Furious.

You mean how the President made a preemptive move to protect files that by necessity must be kept out of the public eye?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 7:33 am

The AP US History Review

http://www.apexamreview.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=86

quotes Nicaragua's current president, Daniel Ortega, as saying, rather charitably, that he hoped God would forgive Reagan for his dirty war against Nicaragua.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 1:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

ruveyn

You mean how the President made a preemptive move to protect files that by necessity must be kept out of the public eye?

The fact the DoJ was handing guns and grenades to Mexican Drug Cartels and then blaming law abiding Gun Dealerships in an attempt to get more anti-gun laws on the books, isn't something the American People should know about, is that what you're telling me?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 1:09 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
The fact the DoJ was handing guns and grenades to Mexican Drug Cartels and then blaming law abiding Gun Dealerships in an attempt to get more anti-gun laws on the books, isn't something the American People should know about, is that what you're telling me?

:roll: That's the Fox Noise version.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 1:32 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I think that if you're going to ding Reagan for Nicaragua, it's only fair to also examine the much larger proxy war in Afghanistan quarterbacked by the House Democrats at the same time, the one with much larger repercussions.

Both were part of the Reagan Doctrine. And Afghanistan was part of Carter's too. Containing communism and irritating the Soviets was a generaly bipartisan sentiment for 50 years. They had a name for it. The icy skirmish? Something like that.

kooky mckookusha wrote:
It's amazing what one can do with video editting software too.

Why would you think Reagan meeting with the mujahudeen was a fake? We openly supported their cause. The Taliban did not yet exist.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 1:36 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

:roll: That's the Fox Noise version.

Actually CBS News is also finally reporting this as well, I can't help the fact you get your news from places that are blatently dishonest, or did you miss how MSNBC was mocking Ann Romney because she has MS?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_162-5 ... e1.channel