Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2012, 6:39 pm

Sometimes when I am at my computer typing on my keyboard, I randomly get these extreme urges to press down certain keys on the keyboard and hold them down or press my finger tips on them a certain way and if I don't do it just right, it feels wrong and I have to do it again until it feels right.

What is this anyway? Is this a stim or something else? I know I've got stims but I don't know if what I have described would fit the definition or not. Sometimes I get it when using the mouse and I get this sudden urge to click the mouse button extra hard, normally the left one, and I have to do it just right or it feels wrong.

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jun 2012, 6:55 pm

Hi

I get this with other things, such as guitar strings or door knobs/light switches and writing. I find my fingertips get a sudden itch like they are too sensitive and then I need to press really hard on the object to get rid of the feeling. I hate light touch as well so I guess it may have something to do with that.

I don't know whether it is a stim, I always thought it was maybe OCD but then I don't really know much about it.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 7:12 pm

Sounds like a mild stim to me. Nothing to obvious though, I probably would not worry about it.

Sincerely,
Matthew

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 7:16 pm

I sometimes get something like this, or sometimes I just want pressure on some particular spot on me. Also, sometimes I get this with how my mouth feels and/or how it sounds to say a word. I have to say it again until it gets "right".

Some things may borderline between stims and tics. I don't know which this is or if it's borderline, but I'd say it's one, the other, or in between, not some totally different thing. There's no superstition involved, making you think something bad will happen to you if you don't get it right, is there? It's just an urge, right?

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2012, 7:18 pm

MindWithoutWalls wrote:
I sometimes get something like this, or sometimes I just want pressure on some particular spot on me. Also, sometimes I get this with how my mouth feels and/or how it sounds to say a word. I have to say it again until it gets "right".

Some things may borderline between stims and tics. I don't know which this is or if it's borderline, but I'd say it's one, the other, or in between, not some totally different thing. There's no superstition involved, making you think something bad will happen to you if you don't get it right, is there? It's just an urge, right?

It's just an urge, I don't believe anything bad will happen if I can't get it right. Of course being annoyed because I can't do it right can be a bad thing I suppose, but that is something entirely different than superstition being involved.

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 8:00 pm

Sounds okay, then. Have fun with it, if it doesn't bother you too much. My thoroughly nonprofessional opinion is that I think it's not doing you any harm.

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jun 2012, 8:58 pm

I do this to lol. With buttons on a keyboard,light switches, or stomping on stuff.

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jun 2012, 8:59 pm

I do this to lol. With buttons on a keyboard,light switches, or stomping on stuff.

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2012, 11:56 pm

fefe333 wrote:

So it's not just me that does this all the time. That makes me feel better. :D Sometimes I do something similar to it with door knobs. I have to touch them just a certain way so they feel right. Sometimes this can be annoying for me, but most of the time it's not so bad, so it doesn't bother me much.

It sure is a good thing I found WP after finding out about AS for the first time. I sure have learned a lot about it. But this thing I described, could it be AS causing this? It's the only thing I can think of that would explain why I do this and why I always have done this.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 3:51 am

OCD is my guess.

EQ: 6.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2012, 1:02 pm

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
OCD is my guess.

Thanks for the response, but the other problems caused by OCD are problems I don't have. So maybe this is just a stim then. It's an unusual one I'll admit, but I still think that a stim is all it is.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 1:09 pm

I do something similar. I get the urge to right-click on my laptop touchpad. I usually do it a few times in a row which sort of annoys me because if I do it quickly I sometimes accidentally press "back" (which is the top option when I right-click) which means I sometimes press "back" in the middle of a youtube video or something.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2012, 1:16 pm

rebbieh wrote:
I do something similar. I get the urge to right-click on my laptop touchpad. I usually do it a few times in a row which sort of annoys me because if I do it quickly I sometimes accidentally press "back" (which is the top option when I right-click) which means I sometimes press "back" in the middle of a youtube video or something.

I sometimes do this while typing and I'll end up with "nnn" or a repeat of another letter and then I will have to hit backspace a bunch of times. But sometimes while hitting backspace the feeling comes back, so I end up hitting back space multiple times. But being in the middle of a video and hitting back sounds like it would be very annoying.

Does anyone ever get urges to touch other objects in a way similar to this, like table tops or the edges of objects? Sometimes I get urges to move my finger around the edges of circular objects and find it really enjoyable and relaxing to do.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 1:27 pm

Alfonso12345 wrote:
I sometimes do this while typing and I'll end up with "nnn" or a repeat of another letter and then I will have to hit backspace a bunch of times. But sometimes while hitting backspace the feeling comes back, so I end up hitting back space multiple times. But being in the middle of a video and hitting back sounds like it would be very annoying.

It's very annoying indeed. But I still do it because of the urge.

Alfonso12345 wrote:
Does anyone ever get urges to touch other objects in a way similar to this, like table tops or the edges of objects? Sometimes I get urges to move my finger around the edges of circular objects and find it really enjoyable and relaxing to do.

I don't know if this is similar to what you mean but every time I check the if the kitchen stove's off (when going to bed or leaving the flat) I touch all of the things you control the heat with (don't know what they're called). If I don't touch them my fingers will feel weird and it will feel all wrong. I can't really explain it. Does that happen to you?

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2012, 1:38 pm

rebbieh wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:

It's very annoying indeed. But I still do it because of the urge.

Alfonso12345 wrote:

I don't know if this is similar to what you mean but every time I check the if the kitchen stove's off (when going to bed or leaving the flat) I touch all of the things you control the heat with (don't know what they're called). If I don't touch them my fingers will feel weird and it will feel all wrong. I can't really explain it. Does that happen to you?

Yes, that experience is very familiar. I get that with things like door knobs sometimes or other random objects. It can be annoying sometimes to experience that. Most of the time it doesn't bother me much because I have always experienced this and have gotten used to it as a result.

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm

I sometimes like to reach up and touch tree leaves as I go by, just to have touched them, not for how they feel. I like to think something nice at the tree as I do.

I like to hit the plastic thing on the end of the string for releasing the garage door from being engaged with the automatic opener. I hit one end, and it spins, if I do it correctly. I have to stretch a little to be able to reach.

Many years ago, I got yelled at when I lived at home and was one time running my fingertip around the cap on a bottle of juice at the dinner table. I was wiping off the condensation by doing this, so it made a ring appear on the cap. This was very annoying to my sister, so my father made me stop. I suppose it was rude of me while we were eating, but it seemed so harmless to me at the time.

I'm much more careful about being private with my stims now than I was as a kid. I either don't do them in front of most people or find a way to hide or mask what's going on. Makes for far less trouble that way.