Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

abstract
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2012, 6:24 pm

Jacoby wrote:
What choice? They're exactly the same.

To quote Lewis Black in reference to the 2004 election: "When
you went into that voting booth, you had a choice between two bowls of s**t.
The only difference was the smell"

I like to make the analogy for this election that you get to choose between two bowls of s**t. The only difference is one is contaminated with the Zaire Ebola Virus. I'm not voting for Rommney, I'm voting against Obama.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 3:44 am

i'm voting against williard the stinkier. :P

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 4:11 am

visagrunt wrote:
Going to the polling station and depositing a blank ballot, or a spoiled ballot is a valid exercise of a citizen's democratic right.
Sitting your ass down on the sofa on election day is lazy.

I usually do that. Except in the last few federal elections here. Spoil my ballot, I mean.

I think there's only one voting bloc in all of North America that has even a rudimentary grasp of democracy. Quebec. With no regard to partisan or ideological loyalty, they will utterly crush any party which disappoints them (on 2 occasions in my life, they've been central to the permanent demise of a federal party). They are not catered to in Canada because they are French, but because they scare the living hell out politicians, as it should be.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:42 am

I agrree with you though it is a dismal thing to think about - we are not really being given a choice. (adding in opinion) What is needed is a paradigm shift and that will not be allowed to happen by the powers-that-be. I hear about this anytime I must speak with my family: they talk about one of the canditdates in vile language which I find offensive and counter productive.(returning to subject)

I am voting for no one this time, though I vacillate between the three choices.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 10:57 am

I'm glad I'm not eighteen yet. I don't have to choose.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 2:11 am

mntn13 wrote:
I agrree with you though it is a dismal thing to think about - we are not really being given a choice. (adding in opinion) What is needed is a paradigm shift and that will not be allowed to happen by the powers-that-be. I hear about this anytime I must speak with my family: they talk about one of the canditdates in vile language which I find offensive and counter productive.(returning to subject)

I am voting for no one this time, though I vacillate between the three choices.

by voting for nobody you allow others your vote. you have a vote, you should just hold your nose and choose the least evil among the preselected choices vetted by the men behind the curtain.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 9:03 am

It might be a choice but certainly not a great one.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 9:53 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
It might be a choice but certainly not a great one.

that kinda reminds me of the old soviet joke about the hapless bureaucrat who dies and finds himself in hell's anteroom, in the company of satan- satan tells soviet bureaucrat that he has a choice of two hells- a capitalist hell and a communist one. the clueless bureaucrat asks satan, "what's the difference between the two?" to which satan replies, "in the capitalist hell, a nail will be driven into your butt every day of the month. in the communist hell, this will not be so." so hapless bureaucrat brightly says, "i'll take the communist hell then!" as satan's minions lead hapless bureaucrat down the flaming path, satan slyly murmurs, "oh, by the way, i neglected to mention- you can be sure that a nail won't be driven into your butt every day, but on the last day of each month, all 30 nails will be driven into your butt!"

Belisaurius
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Aug 2012, 7:08 pm

Why vote for the lesser of two evils?

Cthulu for President 2012!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 7:15 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Why would anyone vote for either of them?

There are potentially two different questions inherent in what you ask.

Obviously, there are more than two choices for the voter holding the ballot, and a vote for another candidate's electors is a valid option for any voter. So if your question is intended to drive home the point that there are more than two candidates on the ballot this November, I wholeheartedly applaud it.

But the other question implicity in what you ask is, "why bother voting at all?" And this is a notion that I thoroughly reject. I hold voting to be an affirmative responsibility. I don't care what choice you make, but I care very much that you make a choice.

Going to the polling station and depositing a blank ballot, or a spoiled ballot is a valid exercise of a citizen's democratic right.
Sitting your ass down on the sofa on election day is lazy.

If you go to the polling station and scrawl, "you're all a bunch of jerks" on your ballot, I will be the first one to stand up and applaud you for doing it. But if you sit there and say, "I didn't bother voting because it won't make a difference," I will be the first one to condemn you for it.

I doubt I will vote for a presidential canidate but there are some state thing I want to vote on.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 8:49 pm

Oldout wrote:
I've been voting for 40 years and I can't remember a more boring, incompetent, scary pair of candidates.

Some choice. It is the choice between wretched and awful.

ruveyn

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 4:11 pm

Reading this thread makes me glad I don't live in America. Allthough the politics would make for a good laugh.

I would vote for Obama, though, simply because I don't want any republican in charge. And Obama seems to have at least some ideas that I support.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 5:27 pm

Wow, that has to be the most blatant lie I've seen used as a headline in a long time.

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 10:54 am

Jill Stein begins to look better every day.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 6:36 pm

I'm voting for change.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 9:00 pm

Rakshasa72 wrote:
I'm voting for change.

i'm voting to preserve my change, as willard the wonk and his silverspoon sockpuppet seem determined to raise my taxes so he can lower his [and his ilk's] own taxes. :roll: