Should I learn more about web languages or continue to learn

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 2:26 pm

desktop programming? I know how to program in C, but I guess to me it seems like most the stuff I want to do with C can be done with php and flash, java, or something similar. Is there anything I can do with C that is useful? Is it pretty much just useful for little programs I make here or there? Thanks

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

zacb wrote:
I guess to me it seems like most the stuff I want to do with C can be done with php and flash, java, or something similar.

What do you want to do?

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 2:38 pm

Well I guess I want to create apps and games, and at least with most of the apps I want to make could easily be ported to the cloud. Like lets say with a type of calculator like quicken or such. Those could be ported to the cloud. And as far as games are concerned , the simple ones can be recreated in flash or something, and 3d can't as of yet. But I guess here is the thing, with the exception of little personal trinket programs, what could I create with C? Are there any 3d game libraries for C? Otherwise it seems like C is kind of useless, with the exception of small trinket programs. But I guess to answer your question, games and some web apps

zxy3cpn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 2:55 pm

zacb wrote:
Otherwise it seems like C is kind of useless, with the exception of small trinket programs.

C is a general purpose language and can be used for lots of things (obviously provided there are libraries for what you want to do). It is used in large software projects, the Linux kernel being one. SDL is one C library that will probably be useful to you if you're wanting to make games.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 2:59 pm

So would C be better for games and php for others? As far as apps, I was kind of thinking p2p stuff.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 8:01 am

Learn XML.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 8:42 am

I prefer web development my self as their is a tutorial for pretty much anything out there and it supports all platforms.
Although, Qt is a nice framework to try even though its C++.