Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

imthemom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Dec 2012, 10:24 pm

I'm on here for learning about my daughter. She walks on her toes if she is barefoot. She hardly ever wears socks. I think she walks normally in shoes. She is 18 years old. I have concerns that it is not good for her legs and feet to walk that way because she says she has pain in the balls of her feet.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 10:43 pm

I was told just recently by two different people at different times that I walk on my toes. I know my shoes wear weird, but I didn't realize I walked on the balls of my feet rather than heel-toe. My shoes wear on the outer sides of the heels and on the inner side at the big toe. My mom tried to copy how I walk and she couldn't even begin to do it. I always figured that it was because I'm pretty obviously knock-kneed. I also lean forward when I walk and stand in place. Geez...I"m feeling more like an oddball every day. I'm constantly learning things about myself that I wasn't aware of but everyone else seemed to be.

Xandra
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 May 2015, 1:30 am

Yous should visit a physical therapy because they can help you make it better.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 2:16 am

I do not recall that I ever regularly walked on my toes or anything like that....however if I am trying to walk quietly I more walk on my toes, but that is specifically to be quiet not like an ingrained trait. However people have commented that it is weird how my toes have a tendency to point upward when I'm sitting down with shoes off or tell me how they think it would be uncomfortable but I figure my feet must be more comfortable that way if they do that.

I also don't like shoes that fit just below the ankle I prefer a bit of ankle support in the past I've been prone to twisting my ankles, sprained one pretty good one time so I pretty much only wear high top skate style shoes, converse or boots. I also cannot wear high heeled shoes because I cannot walk in them...I don't care to try to 'get used to them' either as I would like to keep my ankles intact, luckily my styles of clothing don't really call for high heels, they'd look pretty stupid with most outfits I wear. Then of course I also do not like 'arch support' just makes my foot feel crowded.

People also think I walk fast, I have had people ask why I walk so fast or what I am in a hurry for......but that is just my default speed of walking in fact it almost feels like it takes more effort to walk slow. But yeah my brother is a little over 6 ft tall and walks rather fast and I am barely 5 ft tall and easily keep up regardless of having shorter legs...cannot say the same for all our friends/family and acquaintances.

And I think that is about it for weird walking/foot related traits.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 2:37 am

1000Knives wrote:
I don't really remember toe walking, but I do think I walk more on the balls of my feet compared to the average person. Like that's just my natural balance point, I find it hard to balance off my heels or drive through my heels doing athletic things a lot of the time. I think because of the way I walk, I ended up with huge calf muscles, my first time stepping into a gym basically, I went up to a calf press machine and could max it out for 10+ reps, and later I tried and succeeded at maxing it out on each leg, including my weaker left one, for 10+ reps. I just thought it was weird seeing people with like 20lbs on it, but now I know it's just the way I walk.

Interesting I also have large calf muscles...though I do not toe walk, but perhaps I maybe do walk a little different than most people and that plays into it. I also do walk quite a lot, so obviously leg muscles get plenty of excercise....lol as for upper body strength I seem to have less of that I cannot even do pull ups, not even the easier type they let girls do in P.E back in highschool. Too bad they didn't have more walking oriented activities...I would have done great in that class if that was the case, though it always did piss me off that they could basically 'grade' your physical abilities....I didn't feel it was fair to get a low grade for being physically unable to do something and thought it would make more sense to grade on effort.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 2:47 am

Webalina wrote:
I was told just recently by two different people at different times that I walk on my toes. I know my shoes wear weird, but I didn't realize I walked on the balls of my feet rather than heel-toe. My shoes wear on the outer sides of the heels and on the inner side at the big toe. My mom tried to copy how I walk and she couldn't even begin to do it. I always figured that it was because I'm pretty obviously knock-kneed. I also lean forward when I walk and stand in place. Geez...I"m feeling more like an oddball every day. I'm constantly learning things about myself that I wasn't aware of but everyone else seemed to be.

So wait walking heel-toe is normal? I figure I more go with toe-heel....I did not know that heel-toe is actually what is the norm is, I could not really imagine changing it. And I do not think I would need to I have demonstrated my walking to doctors and they do not see anything problematic cannot recall if they've ever mentioned it was at all unusual though because that was a long time ago when I had that stuff tested. As for full on toe walking, I figured that meant literally like walking on just the toes/tip of the foot without the heel touching the ground at all...I suppose perhaps that is just the extreme.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 3:51 am

When i wear shoes, i typically walk on the outsides and heels exclusively (my soles are brand-new on the front and insides, but worn thin at the outside heel), although i do balance on my toes in shoes when i'm impatient.

Without shoes, i walk/stand on my toes almost exclusively, only letting my heels touch the floor when i need extra stability (like when i'm lifting something heavy)