What are your Aspie/Autistic skills or talents?

Page 6 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 4:33 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:
I can spot the tiniest typos a mile away. It's that zeroing in on details thing. I can also memorize multiple lace kitting patterns

Knitting?

Busted!! :oops: Yep. I once applied for a proofreading job but wrote "POOFREADER" on the application.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 7:47 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:
I can spot the tiniest typos a mile away. It's that zeroing in on details thing. I can also memorize multiple lace kitting patterns

Knitting?

Busted!! :oops: Yep. I once applied for a proofreading job but wrote "POOFREADER" on the application.

Did you get the job? :lol: :lol: :lol:

houseofpanda
Raven
Raven

26 Jun 2012, 1:44 am

Mindsigh wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:

Knitting?

You could've played it off. You could've told the interviewer that you can detect poofs, and then just to prove it, tell them you're talking to one right now. Oh, right... you probably wouldn't get the job then either.

Monkeybuttorama
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2012, 2:18 am

First, the art posted on this thread is just awesome, and thank you, everyone who shared, it made my night!

I love making things! It almost doesn't matter what I'm making ^_^

Image http://postimage.org/

I did a lot with jewelry when I was in high school, those are two that I've kept and occasionally use, but I rarely make anything like that anymore, unless I want something specific for an outing or whatever.

My motto, though, is "don't buy what you can reasonably easily make" so I make my own costumes for conventions, even though I have really no idea what I'm doing the first time 'round, decorations for my fish tank, bird and cat toys for muh critters, stands for my swords, etc.

I also read exceptionally well and fast, and have an extensive vocabulary as a result, and I pick up and retain information like a sponge. (can't remember things I'm supposed to do for more then 5 minutes, though :D )

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jun 2012, 4:49 am

GUITAR. Basically I suck at it, but i developed guitar skills because I STIM with a guitar in my hands. Instead of liting a cigarette, or playing with some object, I can't help but grab my guitar and fiddle around. It's nervous.

vindaloo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2012, 2:42 pm

I pick up foreign languages very quickly, but not in any kind of tutored or structured kind of way. I just tend to absorb them from my surroundings. Programming would be my other talent because I'm so particular about it.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 2:45 pm

I'm pretty good at writing. My grammar was always near-perfect and I immediately spot any errors. So I always had good marks in German (my mother tongue). I also tend to pick up foreign languages pretty fast, for example I started to learn Arabic a few months ago and can already talk in whole sentences. I also have near to no German accent in any foreign language. When talking English, I sound very American (though I've never been there), and my Arabic sounds very Egyptian, so I've been told. :D

I'm a good singer, but I don't know if that's Aspie-related.

vindaloo

27 Jun 2012, 2:55 pm

Sanctus wrote:
I also have near to no German accent in any foreign language. When talking English, I sound very American (though I've never been there), and my Arabic sounds very Egyptian, so I've been told. :D

that's an interesting point you raise. I'm half British half German (Bavaria) but I grew up in the UK. I count English as my primary language but have a noticable Oberboarisch accent in German and I'm often told I sound completely authentic in that respect. Living in Switzerland I've picked up Bärndütsch pretty well and again people complement me on my pronunciation. I can also say a few choice phrases in Walliserditsch but don't have a big enough vocabulary in what is one of the most hardcore dialects out there.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2012, 8:54 pm

I love drawing. I can draw for hours...I just re-activated my Etsy account. There are only two on there thus far, and the pictures aren't the best, but if you click on them, you can zoom in on the detail. I have dozens more I need to get around to scanning. Here's the link:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ResolveArt

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jun 2012, 9:02 pm

I can make minute rice in 58 seconds!

chtucker18
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2012, 7:21 am

I can fix computer problems.

houseofpanda
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2012, 10:35 am

katwithhat wrote:

Can this be attributed to your microwave's superiority, or is there a technique you employ? I, too, would enjoy adding 2 seconds back into my day....

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jun 2012, 1:31 pm

houseofpanda wrote:
katwithhat wrote:

Can this be attributed to your microwave's superiority, or is there a technique you employ? I, too, would enjoy adding 2 seconds back into my day....

It's just me, being awesome.

arisu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2012, 1:50 pm

My aspie skills:

exceptionally good memory: it was eidetic during my childhood but alas "broke" when i was ten or so (i thought i was having a never breakdown, and then promptly had one.)

ridiculous levels of conscientiousness: i've been know to clean up trash left by other people while at starbucks (or other similarly public locales), because that extra minute of my time can make like easier for the people who work there.

i'm very good with languages, including English. i suppose this makes sense as i learned how to speak two languages at the same time usually early and with that precociousness of vocabulary level that is typical among aspies.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 7:14 pm

I think my special ability or skill is Jack of all trades. im Equally bad at everything haha.

haven't found out yet, but maybe someday, or maybe i was just at the back of the line when they were selling skills to people.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 5:29 am

I can do pretty much anything with electronics, computers or engineering. Bring me something that's broken and I can probably either fix it or design and build a better replacement. However when it comes to art, music or anything imaginative I'm utterly useless. Ask me to make up a story and all you'll get from me is a deer in the headlights stare.

Mindsigh wrote:
I can spot the tiniest typos a mile away
That too. I started reading a book the other day that had a number of typos and punctuation errors. In the end I had to put it down because the errors were driving me crazy.