What are your Aspie/Autistic skills or talents?

Page 7 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 5:29 am

I can do pretty much anything with electronics, computers or engineering. Bring me something that's broken and I can probably either fix it or design and build a better replacement. However when it comes to art, music or anything imaginative I'm utterly useless. Ask me to make up a story and all you'll get from me is a deer in the headlights stare.

Mindsigh wrote:
I can spot the tiniest typos a mile away
That too. I started reading a book the other day that had a number of typos and punctuation errors. In the end I had to put it down because the errors were driving me crazy.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 5:54 am

I write songs and poems; I just need to find strategies in order to keep me able to consistently do so though and enjoy it at the same time.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:56 am

I'm pretty good with computers as well and I'm sure it's Aspie-related, but nothing supernatural, like some people seem to have. I feel envious of some of the people who have ridiculously good memory or maths or language skills!

houseofpanda wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:
I can spot the tiniest typos a mile away. It's that zeroing in on details thing. I can also memorize multiple lace kitting patterns

Knitting?

Busted!! :oops: Yep. I once applied for a proofreading job but wrote "POOFREADER" on the application.

You could've played it off. You could've told the interviewer that you can detect poofs, and then just to prove it, tell them you're talking to one right now. Oh, right... you probably wouldn't get the job then either.

:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah... I can't see that one going down well! Off-topic, but I have to say, houseofpanda, your cat totally looks like mine!

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2012, 9:54 am

Something draws my attention towards the time on the hour, even drawing me away from conversations...

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 10:14 am

I have a weirdly intense sense of Art. I don't have the hand fine motor skills to do much visual art, but I totally f***ing get all art except music. I love music and can judge its quality in an intuitive way, but I cannot pick out the specifics of music. I don't get the multiple layers and things like rhythm and melody and beat. It's a sensory filtering thing, I think. Even so, I can pick out what is and isn't good art in music, as in everything, with a good explanation generally. It's not just a preference thing either. It applies even to artistically sound things I cannot stand. For instance, I cannot deny that there are a multitude of skilled musicians in the rap and country genres, but lyrics are too all important in music for me to listen to either genre (really any popular music) regularly. That's really the reason I have restricted musical tastes: most musicians aren't nearly as lyrically competent as they are musically talented.

Unfortunately, the only art I can really make is writing. I'm quite good at that, though. I sometimes forget how good I am at fiction writing until I get into an environment like a creative writing classroom, and it's 20 inferior writers who can't figure out how to critique a short story I feel I need to rewrite and rework. It comes so naturally to me that I sometimes take for granted that other people struggle with it. o_O

Monkeybuttorama
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jun 2012, 11:13 am

Rebel_Nowe wrote:
I have a weirdly intense sense of Art. I don't have the hand fine motor skills to do much visual art, but I totally f***ing get all art except music. I love music and can judge its quality in an intuitive way, but I cannot pick out the specifics of music. I don't get the multiple layers and things like rhythm and melody and beat. It's a sensory filtering thing, I think. Even so, I can pick out what is and isn't good art in music, as in everything, with a good explanation generally. It's not just a preference thing either. It applies even to artistically sound things I cannot stand. For instance, I cannot deny that there are a multitude of skilled musicians in the rap and country genres, but lyrics are too all important in music for me to listen to either genre (really any popular music) regularly. That's really the reason I have restricted musical tastes: most musicians aren't nearly as lyrically competent as they are musically talented.

Unfortunately, the only art I can really make is writing. I'm quite good at that, though. I sometimes forget how good I am at fiction writing until I get into an environment like a creative writing classroom, and it's 20 inferior writers who can't figure out how to critique a short story I feel I need to rewrite and rework. It comes so naturally to me that I sometimes take for granted that other people struggle with it. o_O

For the music, have to tried listening to things in languages you don't speak? I have the same problem with lyrics, and I've found that things I don't understand are immensely enjoyable because I don't actually know what they are saying.

houseofpanda
Raven
Raven

02 Jul 2012, 3:48 am

Atomsk wrote:
Here's an example of my bass playing:

http://soundcloud.com/the-autie-musicia ... -tracy-jac

It's me playing Jaco Pastorius' "Portrait of Tracy". Solo bass, no effects used. Cell phone recording.

Sounds awesome, bro!

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 5:56 am

I tend to get better at things, even if I don't really practise them. For example, sometimes I don't draw anything for months, but then I draw something and find that I've gotten much better.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 6:20 am

Atomsk wrote:
Here's an example of my bass playing:

http://soundcloud.com/the-autie-musicia ... -tracy-jac

It's me playing Jaco Pastorius' "Portrait of Tracy". Solo bass, no effects used. Cell phone recording.

Fabulous! You have a special technique which I don't hear with most bass players. I really like how you put the softer tones between the louder tones. 8)

Ninox75
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Nov 2013, 2:11 am

Knowledge is my talent, I have a head full of facts on all sorts of varied subjects (E.G birds, meteorology, history, dinosaurs, the planets etc.), I used to be good at school quizzes and I have fun answering questions on TV gameshows before anyone on TV actually answers, I hate it when someone gets a fact wrong, I must correct them. I have a good ear for music and birdsong (I only wish I could play an instrument), I am good at spotting grammatical errors and spelling mistakes (although my own handwriting is poor).

Xerofaan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Nov 2013, 5:13 pm

My Talent is drawing. I create fantasy-worlds to cope with the real world. Otherwise i bottle it up.

MMlab

The 2 pictures of the drawings are mine. The second and third picture.
(the one with the brainz) :)

I hope you like it!
Greetz

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 5:26 pm

I would say art is one of my strongest talents, that and I have a true soprano voice (and i can cary a tune!). That and my extensive knowledge of ancient mythology of different cultures, most notably greek and gaelic.

Here are some of my recent art pieces: the ones I like the most.

[img][800:901]http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2013/319/3/f/unnatural_by_tempertempest-d6udgmw.jpg[/img]

[img][800:842]http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/275/8/1/skin_deep_by_tempertempest-d6oygsu.jpg[/img]

[img][800:915]http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/258/b/8/jellyfish_by_tempertempest-d6mcrh6.jpg[/img]

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2013, 6:31 pm

Today: Skills: (a) Neurotypical: None; (b) Aspergian/Autistic: None. (=usual day)

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2013, 6:32 pm

Today: Skills: (a) Neurotypical: None; (b) Aspergian/Autistic: None. (=usual day)