Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 1:06 pm

Blownmind wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Eloa wrote:
I read in forums for autism where parents wanted their child to receive a diagnosis of Aspergers, even if the child have had assessments and the parents were being told that it did not have Aspergers.
They were exchanging information about what to tell the psychiatrist about a child's behaviour to receive a diagnosis.
One time a pychologist offered to write a psychological observation for a child she only knew the mother from via the forum.
Wow, so parents do fake their kids problems and lie to the doctors just so they get a false diagnoses? Scary stuff. I have heard of these things and it's so true, not ASSumptions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnch ... e_by_proxy
Quote:
a behavior pattern in which a caregiver deliberately exaggerates, fabricates, and/or induces physical, psychological, behavioral, and/or mental health problems in those who are in their care, to fulfill their need for positive attention.

It is indeed a real and scary thing.

I hope to god they don't tell their kids they have something they don't even have. I know I would be pissed if I grew up thinking I had something wrong with me and then it turns out I was normal all along and I never had anything wrong with me and my mother had lied to me about having a disability and other stuff. I would wonder if I was just lazy and stupid all along and quirky and my parents needed a label so my life be easier in school because they couldn't accept their own daughter was "lazy" and "stupid" and different and a "brat" and had "psychopathic tenancies." Even people who were victim of parents who had it have admitted they are messed up because of it.

Quote:
Why on earth would anyone want their child to have a label of Aspergers? Ok, some children do have issues and the parents need a label for these issues, which is fair enough.

So they have an excuse for their kids behavior and have a get out of free jail card for them so they don't look like bad parents?

So their kid can actually get help in school and services that autistic kids get that others can't get without the autism label?

I have read an article online from Australia about doctors purposely mislabeling kids with autism so they get the help they need. I can't really blame and doctors and parents for it because the system needs to be changed so all kids with problems get help no matter what problems they have so no mislabeling would have to happen. But I hope to god the parents don't tell their kids they are autistic because then it be a lie. I also hope they don't go around telling others their kids have autism they don't even have.

Someone on here said not too long ago (I don't know if it was true or hearsay) but she said that some doctors will purposely misdiagnose AS in psychopaths because it is such a horrible thing to have and AS is better so they diagnose them with AS instead. Also scary stuff.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 2:25 pm

Ah, yes now it makes sense.

ialdabaoth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm

Blownmind wrote:
Man, I am really tired of hearing this now. I was very aware that it might be conceived that way, so I explicitly explained that to those I told in my life. But I still bump into people online who constantly says Aspergers is just an excuse for your weird behaviour.

Well, yes. You know "excuse" conjugates, right?

I have justifications, you have reasons, he/she/it has excuses.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 12:58 am

ialdabaoth wrote:
Blownmind wrote:
Man, I am really tired of hearing this now. I was very aware that it might be conceived that way, so I explicitly explained that to those I told in my life. But I still bump into people online who constantly says Aspergers is just an excuse for your weird behaviour.
Well, yes. You know "excuse" conjugates, right?

I have justifications, you have reasons, he/she/it has excuses.

Justifying a fault doubles it. ~French Proverb :wink:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 1:22 am

It's a valid reason in the ways the disorder is outlined.

"I can't see" because of AS, is wrong
"I can't talk socially" because of AS, is right

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 1:42 am

Dillogic wrote:
It's a valid reason in the ways the disorder is outlined.

"I can't see" because of AS, is wrong
"I can't talk socially" because of AS, is right

"I won't try talking socially" because of AS, is wrong.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 1:54 am

Blownmind wrote:

You can't actually try if it doesn't exist.

"I won't try seeing" because I have no eyes, is still right.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 2:18 am

Dillogic wrote:
Blownmind wrote:

You can't actually try if it doesn't exist.

I'm sorry, you lost me, what is "it" in that sentence?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 6:04 am

Social talk doesn't exist in those with AS (two-way social interaction).

You can try, but it'll be just as effective as trying to see normally if you're blind. You'll need to adapt in other ways.

Hence, it's a reason for why someone can't partake in appropriate two-way social interaction, and the same can be said for all symptoms that manifest.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 6:10 am

Dillogic wrote:

You can try, but it'll be just as effective as trying to see normally if you're blind. You'll need to adapt in other ways.

Hence, it's a reason for why someone can't partake in appropriate two-way social interaction, and the same can be said for all symptoms that manifest.

Thats not correct. The problem isn't as general as that, it's more specific, namely non-verbal communication. It's quite possible for someone with AS to have a social conversation.

This is part of the problem, people get the idea that they can't, so they won't even try. I even dabble abit in non-verbal communication now as an adult, or I try to observe such communication atleast. I researched the subject before I even knew about Asperger's, because I wanted to expand my horizon when I saw I lacked knowledge in that area.

Edit:
I forgot about one little thing about verbal communication that often cause people with AS to fall behind in conversations, but that does not necessarily mean they can't have conversations.
Individuals with an autism spectrum condition are impaired in achieving local coherence(meaning of a sentence in regards to the general theme of the converstation).

Last edited by Blownmind on 12 Jul 2012, 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Jul 2012, 7:36 am

Actually, research that's cited in the rationale for the DSM-V changes says that the majority of people diagnosed with AS meet this criteria for autism:

Quote:
(B) 2. in individuals with adequate speech, marked impairment in the ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others.

I have this problem with most people. The main thing that saves me is finding a way to make it about my interests. Or I can fake it to some extent, but I will get stuck at some point and don't know what to say next. Most of my conversations with people not in my family lately have been about video games, natural disasters, weather, neurology, disability, and autism. With my family I can do better because we have a lot of shared context and because they're used to the fact I just stop talking and leave. At least I think they are, I've only heard one complaint.

I am better at this now than I was in my 20s and early 30s, though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 7:52 am

Blownmind wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

Thats not correct. The problem isn't as general as that, it's more specific, namely non-verbal communication. It's quite possible for someone with AS to have a social conversation.

This is part of the problem, people get the idea that they can't, so they won't even try. I even dabble abit in non-verbal communication now as an adult, or I try to observe such communication atleast. I researched the subject before I even knew about Asperger's, because I wanted to expand my horizon when I saw I lacked knowledge in that area.

True I have had plenty of 'social conversations'....but I am not very good with processing the body language, or making eye contact or anything like that...also sometimes I lose my train of though mid-sentence or might move on to other things or I talk to slow and people interrupt so its not that I cannot talk to anyone its more I cannot talk to people normally so they see something 'off' about me.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:18 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
sometimes I lose my train of though mid-sentence or might move on to other things or I talk to slow and people interrupt so its not that I cannot talk to anyone its more I cannot talk to people normally so they see something 'off' about me.

Thanks, I updated my post to reflect this, I had forgotten about that little quirk.

Blownmind wrote:
edit:
Individuals with an autism spectrum condition are impaired in achieving local coherence(meaning of a sentence in regards to the general theme of the converstation).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:26 am

Blownmind wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
sometimes I lose my train of though mid-sentence or might move on to other things or I talk to slow and people interrupt so its not that I cannot talk to anyone its more I cannot talk to people normally so they see something 'off' about me.

Thanks, I updated my post to reflect this, I had forgotten about that little quirk.

Blownmind wrote:
edit:

That is so true......at least for me, I mean if one person is good at freaking blurting out off topic things that no one else can relate to the topic at hand it's me. I mean people could be talking about movies and something they say may bring up some specific point of psychology or whatever that I have thought of so I'll end up interjecting with what seems like totally off topic nonsense. Then people kind of give me that 'where on earth did that come from.' look.

xxHelloKittyxx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jul 2012, 6:23 pm

I never tell anyone about my AS (unless they catch me doing something unusual like rocking when im stressed) I really like keeping it to myself because people tend to look at me differently when I tell them

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 7:01 pm

I dunno, I can verbalize socially, under controlled situations. Its nuance & body language that still trips me up thouh.
This should be obvious in my postings.
Or maybe a slightly different angle is, I communicate very well HERE in cyberspace (which I have been in since 1985) but a one-on-one tends to be a little formal or stilted.
Anyway, having an ASD is no excuse for bad behavior unless your so totally autistic you do not know where you are. If I make an un-intended rude comment/action I apologize quickly!
And few people know I have/ am suspected of having an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I keep that under my vest.

Sincerely,
Matthew