Aspergers subtypes -- The Emotional Aspergers Child

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 3:51 am

zette wrote:
I thought this article on AS subtypes was very interesting. My son is definitely "predominately ADHD" subtype, and is one of those who doesn't seem to be interested in identifying and following rules.

The Emotional Aspergers Child

Here's the beginning of the article:

Quote:
Many children with Aspergers and High-Functioning Autism fall into one of the “emotional types” listed below. Their feelings control their actions. These kids have many more tantrums, are less available, easily disengage, and are more prone to defiant behavior.

This is the most difficult type of Aspergers child to deal with, because rules – and the reasons for rules – mean much less to him. The parents and teachers who have to deal with the emotional Aspie often find themselves in a state of frustration or crisis. Many of these children will end up on medications for their issues, because their coping skills are poorly developed and inadequate to meet the demands of home and school. But that’s o.k., because the right medication and an effective behavioral plan can do wonders.

I'm of the opinion that a child on the spectrum who has many tantrum and frequent "defiant" behavior is likely just an individual who has a different set of needs and stressors than others, and thus is a child who is not well empathized or has their needs well respected. As such, I do not think it's fair to label them as emotional. I do not feel they display such emotions as behavior than others would in similar situations.

An instances of such a phenomena most people here might understand is with children who are hypersensitive. It's now recognized that hypersensitivity does exist and many parents here are now cognisant of this issue and respectful of the fact that certain sensory stimulus can be rather unbearable to their child. But in the past before such thing was recognized, many children were made to suffer unbearable discomfort and this would very often result in what might be considered as an unproportional display of emotions, when it really wasn't.