Do people ignore you at your job?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Nikadee43
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jun 2012, 9:44 pm

I just started a new job two weeks ago. For the most part everyone is relatively friendly. they introduced themselves and instigated conversation. A few people however seemingly refuse to talk to me. I've worked around them almost everyday since I started and they haven't even introduced themselves or said hello, even when I greeted them first. I don't understand this kind of behavior, and it makes me start thinking crazy things, like I've must have done something to them, which is ridiculous because I've never met them before. It doesn't make sense to me why, at the very least, a co-worker wouldn't introduce themselves. Has anyone shared this experience? How did you handle it?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 10:17 pm

Here's a scenario:

Worker A has been at his job for 2 or 3 years. The new bosses don't like him that much so they place ads looking for workers. they get new employees that Worker A has to train. Worker A feels the new employees are there to replace him so, believe me, Worker A will have NO LOVE for the new employees.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2012, 5:35 am

redrobin62 wrote:
Here's a scenario:

Worker A has been at his job for 2 or 3 years. The new bosses don't like him that much so they place ads looking for workers. they get new employees that Worker A has to train. Worker A feels the new employees are there to replace him so, believe me, Worker A will have NO LOVE for the new employees.

True.

And staff that has been there forever may just be very busy with their jobs and not have time for chit chat.

Maybe they're old/young and you're the opposite and they don't like that.

Maybe they have to train you, and that always sucks to have to spend time training someone when you don't get paid extra to train people.

Maybe they had to move offices to accommodate you.

Maybe they found out that you get paid more than they do, but they've been there for years.

Maybe their friend wanted your job, but you were hired instead.

Maybe they just don't like you or your personality.

Maybe they're shy or are Aspie.

Maybe they were just tired, busy, or uninterested in social chit chat.