Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SolAngel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2012, 11:17 am

I have a neuropsych eval. next month to find out what exactly is going on with me. However, the woman on the phone told me that I needed to be there at 9a.m and that I wouldn't be leaving until around 3:30p.m. Although, I'm happy to have the chance to get some answers and that insurance is paying, there are two things that are bothering me. The first is why do I have to be there so long? What are they going to do to me? The second is my family knows about the evaluation and two of them are worried that they'll try and lock me up or diagnose me with something that'll hinder my chances of marriage/kids/happy life. So, now they've got me worried too. Could a diagnosis of Asperger's or ADHD make it so that someone has legal grounds to say I can't have kids, get married or have x job? So, far I'm holding a 40 hour a week job and have never done anything dangerous or that could get me in trouble. This is starting to scare me but I've always wanted answers so that I get read books and research how best to help myself. It is possibly that I could have a couple of comorbids: OCD and anxiety.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 12:30 pm

If you live int he USA no one can stop you from having kids or getting married (unless you want to marry a person with the same parts but that applies to everyone). As far as a job goes, that could happen but depends on the dx. I know the military for example won't accept people with certain diagnosis. But honestly, I wouldn't worry about that so much.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 12:42 pm

As long as you are capable of holding down a job, people will focus far more on your experience and performance. Even with an official dx of aspergers or something more erratic, there is no reason the vast majority of employers need to know. Unless you want to be employed in a field that is issued weapons or is responsible for the care and safety of humans, you are unlikely to ever be asked about anything of the sort.

SolAngel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

thanks you guys, I sure hope so...that makes things a little better.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

The reason it takes that long is that they're doing that much testing. My neuropsych evaluation, that lead to my diagnosis, took between 4 and 5 hours. I did get a break for lunch, but other than that it was lots of questions.

As for what its like - answering questions about yourself, doing tasks like connect the dots while being timed, IQ test, answer questions about identifying emotions by tone of voice, and such are the types of things you'll be doing.