Can you be Facebook friends with your NP?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2012, 9:33 am

I think my NP and I could be very decent friends in real life outside of the NP - patient relationship. And it's extremely rare that I think that a person could be such.
Pretty much all I post on Facebook are animal pictures and articles on my special interest.
Everyone knows I'm diagnosed with Asperger's and I'm kind of even proud of the place I go to for therapy: its really an honest place.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 10:35 am

I think you'd have to discontinue your professional relationship in order to be friends.

She may also have rules about how she can interact with patients. I know a lot of people in the medical professions are forbidden from dating patients.

Doctors generally don't see family.

Mental Health workers generally won't diagnose or see friends.

A lot of it is keeping an objective view.

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2012, 1:51 pm

Does not being able to be Facebook friends mean not being able to be called friends?

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 1:53 pm

Merculangelo wrote:
Does not being able to be Facebook friends mean not being able to be called friends?
I don't think there would be an issue with it, I am friends with at least 3 teachers from highschool (and from seeing many other people that were their students are friends with them it is not uncommon). I was even friends with them while they were teaching me but it is not like it changed anything

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 2:00 pm

Delphiki wrote:
I don't think there would be an issue with it, I am friends with at least 3 teachers from highschool (and from seeing many other people that were their students are friends with them it is not uncommon). I was even friends with them while they were teaching me but it is not like it changed anything

Teachers and medical proffessionals are not the same thing. In a class there are 20-100 other people knowing your identity and who your teacher is, the cat is already out of the bag. When it comes to medicine there is a higher confidentiality, and also, more people want to conceal a medical defect of any kind than people want to conceal going to a certain school or class..usually. :)

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 2:03 pm

Blownmind wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

Teachers and medical proffessionals are not the same thing. In a class there are 20-100 other people knowing your identity and who your teacher is, the cat is already out of the bag. When it comes to medicine there is a higher confidentiality, and also, more people want to conceal a medical defect of any kind than people want to conceal going to a certain school or class..usually. :)
But the nurse is not the sending the friend request, The OP is asking about being the one to send one out.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 2:33 pm

Delphiki wrote:
Blownmind wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

But the nurse is not the sending the friend request, The OP is asking about being the one to send one out.

True true, and I am saying she will most likely decline it. :)

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 2:36 pm

Blownmind wrote:
Delphiki wrote:
Blownmind wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

True true, and I am saying she will most likely decline it. :)
Okay.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 2:36 pm

Teacher is def different. There are clearly defined standards in medical ethics about avoiding relationships with patients.

A doctor/nurse/etc has power over a patient, that being one of the key reasons ethics forbid it.

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2012, 5:39 pm

Quote:
A doctor/nurse/etc has power over a patient, that being one of the key reasons ethics forbid it.

So if they are friends, the problem is that the patient then has power of the person who needs to have power over them in order to treat them?

What if you are someone who basically doesn't get "treated", for example if you are both medical professionals and so there isn't really anything the other person says that you think, "well, i better trust this guy because he knows more than me about it."

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 5:51 pm

Merculangelo wrote:
Quote:

So if they are friends, the problem is that the patient then has power of the person who needs to have power over them in order to treat them?

What if you are someone who basically doesn't get "treated", for example if you are both medical professionals and so there isn't really anything the other person says that you think, "well, i better trust this guy because he knows more than me about it."

Then why would you go to that medical professional in the first place?

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2012, 7:30 pm

I can't prescribe myself medication, and its still the best place. i tried a number of others. they were all idiots.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 7:46 pm

Is there some sort of rule against being friends with you medical practitioner outside of the clinical setting? If you work in the field, your coworkers would probably know.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Jul 2012, 11:52 pm

Pyrite wrote:
Nigerian Prince?

I cant be his friend because he keeps trying to con money from me

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition