Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Murdal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2006, 3:03 pm

I don't know where you get your criteria, but the critera I posted is right out of the manual and every book I have on special needs children.

Einstein to my own knowledge had no significant language delay. If he did then please point me at a resource (a Scholarly one please). The man had social imparements through all stages of his life. You sadly have an image pasted in your head of who Einstein actually was. To actually speak to the man (by account of witnesses) could be painful as he didn't understand how people could be interested in trivial matters. Speak to him about a starship, and instead of starships he'd go quickly in to what he knew about space, not what was being broadcast on the radio as part of a story.

Also, you did attack me and my own diagnosis in your earlier post.

As for if Einstein had AS or not, who really cares? He had problems and because he isn't alive we can't diagnose what problems he actually had.

I would rather keep Einstein as a beacon for those who do have problems and imparements as opposed to having everyone think he was a fully fledged NT who just happened to be smarter than others.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2006, 3:06 pm

umbra wrote:
I am merely trying to apply the diagnostic criterion that "The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning" to Einstein's life.
That's a diagnostic criterion, ie, used to determine whether or not a person suffers severely enough from this neurological glitch as to be in need of meds or to be able to file for disability payments. When people say "did Einstein have AS?" they're asking whether his neurological wiring bore any resemblance to that of a person afflicted with AS, not whether he should under any circumstances receive diagnosis. Really, even if he HAD been diagnosed, he wouldn't have been kept from having a successful life. The reason he couldn't get a teaching post right away, for that matter, was that his difficulty in keeping his temper in check had irritated several of his professors.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2006, 3:08 pm

Murdal wrote:
as opposed to having everyone think he was a fully fledged NT who just happened to be smarter than others.
I don't think that this is what Umbra was even saying. I think that there has been a huge lapse of communication. Analyze what the other guy is saying, both of you. Damn it.

Murdal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2006, 3:10 pm

Griff wrote:
Murdal wrote:
as opposed to having everyone think he was a fully fledged NT who just happened to be smarter than others.
I don't think that this is what Umbra was even saying. I think that there has been a huge lapse of communication. Analyze what the other guy is saying, both of you. Damn it.

haha...quite possibly :) sorry griff :-P (Did I mention I can be a bit of a hot head sometimes? hehe)

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2006, 3:11 pm

Murdal wrote:
(Did I mention I can be a bit of a hot head sometimes? hehe)
I'm worse. Hehehehe.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2006, 6:55 pm

Einstein seems more like a case of very pronounced ADHD then having Aspergers. Thomas Edison was another person who seemed to have had severe ADHD and was somewhat slow as a kid.

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2006, 8:47 pm

On a side note can this thread be renamed to the "Too-many-quotes-within-quotes" thread? My head is spinning. :P

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2006, 11:12 pm

Hey can someone save Drowning medusa before we have a big whirlpool going? Sorry, I couldn't resist. 8-(

tortoise
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2006, 12:01 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_spe ... e_autistic
People claim that Albert Einstein was a loner as a child, was a late speaker, starting only at 2-3 years old, and repeated sentences obsessively up to the age of seven. As an adult his lectures were confusing. He needed his wives to act as parents when he was an adult; factors people claim make him "obviously" (or at least stereotypically) autistic. He was also the stereotypical "absent-minded professor"; he was often forgetful of everyday items, such as keys, and would focus so intently on solving physics problems that he would often become oblivious to his surroundings. In his later years, his appearance inadvertently created (or reflected) another stereotype of scientist in the process: the researcher with unruly white hair. When Albert Einstein's brain was removed at autopsy and studied, researchers found that his Sylvian fissure was truncated. Abnormalities of the Sylvian fissure may be associated with autism and speech problems. [20].
Finally, in the words of Albert Einstein: [21] "My passionate sense of social justice and social responsibility has always contrasted oddly with my pronounced lack of need for direct contact with other human beings and human communities. I am truly a lone traveler and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends, or even my immediate family, with my whole heart; in the face of all these ties, I have never lost a sense of distance and a need for solitude..."

The case that Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton were not autistic

By contrast, Dr. Glen Elliott, a psychiatrist at the University of California at San Francisco, is unconvinced that either scientist had Asperger syndrome [22]. "One can imagine geniuses who are socially inept and yet not remotely autistic," he said. He believes geniuses can experience social difficulties without being autistic, can develop narcissism, and can become passionate over their work and mission. They can also become impatient when others cannot understand easily what they understand. Further, Glen Elliott believes that people with severe Asperger's syndrome do not have a good sense of humor as Einstein reputedly had, although little research has been done on the subject, and much anecdotal evidence shows that people with Asperger syndrome can have a very well developed sense of humor, especially in the area of word play. In any case, Glen Elliott only claims that Einstein could not have had what he sees as "severe Asperger's syndrome". Even if this is true, it does not preclude the possibility of Einstein having had different autistic traits or a different type of autism.

By contrast, Wrong Planet states that those with Asperger’s Syndrome frequently are unusually gifted in humour, especially in doggerel, puns, satire and wordplay [23]. Also, Viktoria Lyons and Michael Fitzgerald [24] state that the claimed absence of humour in autism and Asperger’s Syndrome is not always true and they describe several individuals with Asperger’s Syndrome that display a sense of humour. They further suggest that a minority of such individuals, especially those that are mathematically gifted, can possess a sense of humour that is superior than average due to their unusual personalities, experience and intelligence. Others also are unconvinced and believe the two scientists' personality quirks could have been caused by their high intelligence. Some Einstein biographers, such as Albert Einstein in the World Wide Web, say that he actually did well in school, and the belief to the contrary is only a myth based on a difference in grading policy.

High-functioning autists may be considered "little professors", but that doesn't mean all eccentric professors are autistic. Some researchers believe that one of the signals that a person is autistic is that they are "mind blind". That is, have difficulty inferring information about the intentions of others. In contrast, Einstein's views on politics were sensitive and sophisticated. However, a person does not have to show every possible autistic characteristic to be considered autistic. Furthermore, at a recent conference of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, evidence was presented that suggested Simon Baron-Cohen's previously held "theory of mind" hypothesis for autism was incorrect. As the concept of "mind-blindness" in autistics originates in the idea that they have no "theory of mind" -a means of perceiving the existence of others - this would also seem to invalidate an argument against Einstein's alleged autistic tendencies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein
Einstein was born on March 14, 1879, around 11:30 AM LMT, to a Jewish family, in the city of Ulm in Württemberg, Germany, about 100 km east of Stuttgart. His father was Hermann Einstein, a salesman who later ran an electrochemical works, and his mother was Pauline née Koch. They were married in Stuttgart-Bad Cannstatt.

At his birth, Albert's mother was reputedly frightened that her infant's head was so large and oddly shaped. Though the size of his head appeared to be less remarkable as he grew older, it's evident from photographs of Einstein that his head was disproportionately large for his body throughout his life, a trait regarded as "benign macrocephaly" in large-headed individuals with no related disease or cognitive deficits.

Another more famous aspect of Einstein's childhood is the fact that he spoke much later than the average child. Einstein claimed that he did not begin speaking until the age of three and only did so hesitantly, even beyond the age of nine (see "Speculation and controversy" section). Because of Einstein's late speech development and his later childhood tendency to ignore any subject in school that bored him — instead focusing intensely only on what interested him — some observers at the time suggested that he might be "ret*d", such as one of the Einstein family's housekeepers. This latter observation was not the only time in his life that controversial labels and pathology would be applied to Einstein. (See again, "Speculation and controversy".)

Albert's family members were all non-observant Jews and he attended a Catholic elementary school. At the insistence of his mother, he was given violin lessons. Though he initially disliked the lessons, and eventually discontinued them, he would later take great solace in Mozart's violin sonatas.

When Einstein was five, his father showed him a small pocket compass, and Einstein realized that something in "empty" space acted upon the needle; he would later describe the experience as one of the most revelatory events of his life. He built models and mechanical devices for fun and showed great mathematical ability early on.

In 1889, a medical student named Max Talmud (later: Talmey), who visited the Einsteins on Thursday nights for six years,[3] introduced Einstein to key science and philosophy texts, including Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. Two of his uncles would further foster his intellectual interests during his late childhood and early adolescence by recommending and providing books on science, mathematics and philosophy.

Einstein attended the Luitpold Gymnasium, where he received a relatively progressive education. He began to learn mathematics around age twelve; in 1891, he taught himself Euclidean plane geometry from a school booklet and began to study calculus four years later; Einstein realized the power of axiomatic deductive reasoning from Euclid's Elements, which Einstein called the "holy little geometry book"[3] (given by Max Talmud). While at the Gymnasium, Einstein clashed with authority and resented the school regimen, believing that the spirit of learning and creative thought were lost in such endeavors as strict memorization.

http://www.fathom.com/feature/122174/index.html
An account of Einstein's early life can provide some helpful insights into possible relationships between being a prodigy in childhood and being an adult genius. Ostensibly, of course, Albert Einstein seems a distinctly odd choice for an example of a child prodigy. Nobody disputes his genius, but the accepted view is that he was far from being a prodigy. He was, we are told, a backward child who was born with an oddly shaped skull, making him a late speaker and a poor student. He is said to have been a troublemaker at his high school (which he left prematurely) and a pupil who gained low grades, failed examinations, and was particularly weak at languages. Unable to get the kind of job he sought on completing his education, Einstein was obliged, we are told, to take a menial post in a patents office. Matters were not helped by his father being a bankrupt. The Einstein family, members of a persecuted Jewish minority, had to leave their home in Germany and take up residence in Italy, where they suffered from being alien immigrants who lacked even the basic security conferred by citizenship. Against this unpromising background, it seems hardly surprising that Einstein's sudden bursting into prominence as a scientist of unique brilliance and originality has been regarded as magical. Here is genius at its most mysterious. He must, it appears, have been born to be a genius. No alternative explanation appears possible.

Early childhood

None of the above statements about Einstein is totally unfounded. Nonetheless, and contrary to what is widely believed, the young Einstein undoubtedly was a child prodigy, albeit a largely unrecognised one. Numerous observations of the progress he made while still a child illustrate his prodigiousness. From very early days the young Albert Einstein, born in 1879, made a distinctly favourable impression on others. Just a few months after his second birthday his maternal grandmother was writing to a relative that Albert, whom she described as sweet as well as good, was already creating amusing ideas. Her letter is one of a number of items of evidence obtained at the time of Einstein's early childhood that firmly contradict the much repeated claim that his language development was ret*d. Another is an anecdote that can be precisely dated to the time when he was aged two years and eight months. This describes him reacting to being told on the occasion of the birth of his baby sister that he now had a new playmate, by asking where were the wheels on this new toy. The child's confusion is unexceptional, but the language development of a two-year-old capable of articulating such a question cannot have been impeded.

Like many intelligent children, Albert Einstein was sometimes reluctant to talk, and a maidservant once called him stupid because she observed he had a way of repeating everything twice. The most likely real explanation for that behaviour was that he was determined to speak in complete sentences: when asked a question he would work out the answer in his head and try it out for himself, and then repeat the sentence aloud when he had assured himself that he had it right. What he was actually displaying here was not stupidity at all, but the strategic activity of a determined and self-critical child making a deliberate effort to do his best. Already, Einstein was keen to get things correct and unusually willing to persevere at tasks. Even at this age he was often engaged in play activities that involved solving puzzles and problems. He was already demonstrating a painstaking thoroughness, making elaborate structures from building blocks and, later, houses constructed from cards.

The adult Einstein's earliest memory of experiencing profound curiosity about a scientific mystery related to an occasion at the age of four or five when his father first showed him a magnetic compass. This, Einstein later recalled, made a lasting impression. He remembered his sense of wonder at observing the needle behaving in a manner that simply did not make sense in terms of his conceptual understanding of the world. He knew that there had to be some cause, but it was frustratingly hidden from him.

School days

In early childhood he was unenthusiastic about playing with other children and was inclined to tantrums, but these disappeared at around the time Einstein started school. In his first years there he seemed to be a reserved and isolated child, and yet it was apparent that he was bright and capable. At the end of his first year of school (in August 1886) his mother was writing to her sister that Albert had brought home a brilliant report. She noted that he was at the top of his class, and not for the first time. Out of school he was equally impressive, his preferred spare time activities being mentally stimulating ones such as making fretwork articles, working with a metal construction set, and playing with a small model steam engine which a relative had given him.

There is a persisting although wildly inaccurate claim that Einstein was a bad pupil who failed to flourish at the Munich high school, or Gymnasium, which he attended from the age of nine and a half. In fact this assertion was firmly refuted as early as 1929, at which time the school's then principal searched the old records and was able to confirm that all the evidence demonstrated that Einstein had actually been a very good student. There had been no complaints about him and, no marks that were other than good. The written evidence of Einstein's performance also proved that the newspaper reports, in which Einstein was said to have been an especially poor student of languages, were totally unfounded.

Einstein did well at school despite the fact that neither the ambience nor the curriculum was particularly suitable for a Jewish child of his temperament and interests. There were eight hours of Latin every week and four of Greek from the fourth year onwards. This left little time for other subjects, and so there were only three mathematics classes per week, and only two science and geography classes. Physics was not taught at all until the seventh year. Fortunately for Einstein, he had made considerable progress in those subjects by private study in his spare time, reaching levels of attainment well beyond the school's requirements.

Encountering genius

By the age of eleven or so Albert Einstein was reading about science and philosophy in books that were beyond the understanding of most children. He was already contemplating the conflicting claims of science and religion, and had become convinced that much that he had read in the Bible could not be true. At the same age he became enchanted by mathematics. On encountering Pythagoras' theorem he determined to prove it. He succeeded, but only after three weeks of the kind of strenuous and unremitting contemplation that (although Einstein would not have known it at the time) was a characteristic mental activity of his great predecessor Isaac Newton. In common with Newton and a number of other outstanding thinkers (including Galileo and Bertrand Russell) Einstein became particularly strongly attracted to the certainty and purity of Euclid's geometry. Before the age of twelve he had quickly worked his way through a geometry textbook and made a serious start on the study of advanced mathematics. Such was his progress that the family friend who had first encouraged his interest was soon finding it impossible to keep up with the child.

Science and mathematics were not the only difficult subjects Einstein began to master in his childhood. At the age of thirteen he studied--and appears to have enjoyed and comprehended--Kant's notoriously daunting Critique of Pure Reason. A classmate from this period later recalled how impressive a conversationalist the boy had already become. His main interests were intellectual ones, although he could be a mischievous practical joker at school. He was also acquiring a love of music. His mother, a capable pianist, had arranged for him to have lessons from the age of six. For years the child made very little progress, but at thirteen he suddenly acquired a passion for Mozart's sonatas, and leaped ahead, discovering that 'love is a better teacher than a sense of duty--at least for me' (quoted in A. Fösling, Albert Einstein, trans. E. Osers, 1997, p. 26). His much-admired expertise at playing the violin gave him enjoyment throughout his life.

Clearly, the young Albert Einstein was indeed a child prodigy. His accomplishments by the age of twelve were already far beyond the average, especially in science and mathematics. Yet as is true of other geniuses, there are no indications that Einstein was born unusually clever or that he learned more easily than other people: the qualities that did set him apart from other children seem to have been rooted more in his personality and temperament and his mental habits than in innate intelligence. As Einstein remarked on a number of occasions, he was passionately curious from an early age, and intrigued to discover how things work. Like virtually all great scientists he was immensely determined and dogged: he was always prepared to continue concentrating for very long periods on any challenge that gained his attention. At an early age he gained a capacity for unceasing reflection and contemplation. He insisted that he had not been born with any special gift.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduard_Einstein
Eduard Einstein
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Eduard Einstein (28 July 1910 – 25 October 1965) was born in Zurich, the second son of physicist Albert Einstein and Mileva Marić. Einstein and his family moved to Berlin in 1914, but shortly thereafter Mileva returned to Zurich, taking Eduard and his brother.

Eduard was a good student and had musical talent. He had ambitions to become a freudian analyst. But at the age of twenty he became afflicted with schizophrenia and two years later was institutionalized for the first time. After that Eduard had a minimal relationship with his father.[1] Mileva cared for him until she died in 1948. He died in an asylum at age 55. His family lineage has been used to raise public awareness of schizophrenia.

http://www.answers.com/topic/albert-einstein-s-brain
Speculation on autism

“A post-mortem study of Einstein’s brain may provide clues as to the cerebral processes underlying genius (Witelson et al 1999). There was significant enlargement of the gyri comprising the parietal association cortices, suggesting variation at some early stage of cerebral ontogeny. The authors conclude that this may reflect an extraordinarily large expanse of highly integrated cortex within a functional network—a notion consistent with Cajal’s speculation that variation in axonal connectivity may be a neuronal correlate of intelligence (Cajal 1989).” [11]

The Sylvian fissure was partially absent from Einstein's brain. It appears that in normal brains the Sylvian fissure is involved in processing language. '"Cortical areas that may be implicated in impaired language functioning include the Sylvian fissure." (Leonard, 2001). Einstein did not start talking until he was three and he frequently repeated sentences obsessively up to the age of seven. As an adult his lectures were notoriously confusing. Further abnormalities in the Sylvian fissure could possibly be associated with autism. [12]

During his education Einstein was very successful at Physics and mathematics but did less well in some other subjects. At 16 he failed history and language examinations for the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. This can demonstrate science ability with poorer language skills. [13]

tortoise
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2006, 9:32 am

Did you notice in the above post, in the case that Einstein did not have Autism, that Wrong Planet was mention as a source about humour. :)

Funny thing here is that the smart people and Jews want to claim Einstein as there own too. I'm guessing that neither group would also want him to have a Learning Disability or a disorder of any sort. They simply want him to be the smartest person on earth with no "blemish", like a real life super hero. I wouldn't be surprised if some heirs or others actually destroyed some negative documentation that would cast Einstein in anything but a most favourable light.

The strongest argument that he may have had a disorder of some sort was his early difficulty with speech. We see that very often in Special Ed. He also had great difficulty being clear during his lectures.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 3:15 pm

Definitely seemed a prime candidate for ASD, especially with his speech delay, eccentricities, and talent areas. However, diagnostic method dictates that diagnosis shall not be made without the person present for observation, etc.

Since that's a little outta the question, we can't absolutely verify Einstein was ASD. So for now, we'll just have to ignore the rules and state it like we know for a fact. :lol:

In addition, the very fact he's been claimed by so many groups of people with varying disorders adds more evidence to the pot, since ASDs seem to be comorbid with just about everything else, hehe.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

cloud
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2006, 6:09 pm

umbra wrote:
Murdal wrote:
umbra wrote:
Murdal wrote:
umbra wrote:
Griff wrote:
umbra wrote:
Considering that Einstein made a greater contribution to humanity than most of us will ever make, I have a hard time accepting that Einstein was impaired.
Stephen Hawking is physically impaired, and he's made some pretty major contributions to scientific thought over these past few years. Being impaired in one sense doesn't necessarily mean that one is impaired in any other, and impairment doesn't keep one from making contributions to humanity if one has something to contribute.

I don't see how Einstein was impaired in any sense by AS type symptoms. Not only was he successful as a thinker, but he was also at least as successful at average in his social life. He was married twice, had a child, and had many lovers.

You can learn to be social. Also, many of those women persued him, not the other way around. I have AS and have had several girlfriends, does this mean I do not suffer from the imparements AS brings? Nope.

It means that you do not meet the "faliure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level" criterion. I have no idea what your impairments are, nor do I wish to know. I was merely contradicting the idea that Einstein suffered a social impairment that is a classic characteristics of Aspies.

I meet all the requirements listed in the DSM-IV. So does Einstein based on written accounts and testimony.

I am not going to argue about whether or not you meet the diagnostic criteria, but whether or not Einstein does is a subjective judgment call. I disagree with your judgment.

look a pyramid...

If you play genius, you`ll be one.

Salvador dali

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2006, 1:08 am

I'm very comfortable with saying Einstein had AS, and had AS specifically. In addition to several things mentioned, as a child, Einstein had the "one friend syndrome" as many AS kids do - and that friend was his sister. Also like many AS kids, he gravitated towards adults more than his peers. He regularly enjoyed time with his uncle who played difficult logic and math games with him, yet he was doing poorly in a conventional, peer-dominanted school setting. He could talk as a child, yet apparently disliked talking in general, preferring to withdraw to ponder riddles or daydream (which suggest hyperlexia more than dyslexia, which is more consistant with AS).

There's plenty of other reasons why I think he had AS, but I'll stop there. I don't think I'm going to be able to persuade anyone he has AS who firmly believes he didn't, anyhow.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2006, 7:46 am

The mind of a genious or thinker is generally separated socially from his peers from a young age anyway...

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2006, 5:52 pm

Murdal wrote:
umbra wrote:
Murdal wrote:
umbra wrote:
Murdal wrote:
umbra wrote:
Griff wrote:
umbra wrote:
Considering that Einstein made a greater contribution to humanity than most of us will ever make, I have a hard time accepting that Einstein was impaired.
Stephen Hawking is physically impaired, and he's made some pretty major contributions to scientific thought over these past few years. Being impaired in one sense doesn't necessarily mean that one is impaired in any other, and impairment doesn't keep one from making contributions to humanity if one has something to contribute.

I don't see how Einstein was impaired in any sense by AS type symptoms. Not only was he successful as a thinker, but he was also at least as successful at average in his social life. He was married twice, had a child, and had many lovers.

You can learn to be social. Also, many of those women persued him, not the other way around. I have AS and have had several girlfriends, does this mean I do not suffer from the imparements AS brings? Nope.

Exactly which symptoms of AS do you believe significantly impaired Einstein's life, then?

Quote:
Just look at his childhood. He had a horrible time making friends, he was always day dreaming and couldn't keep focus on anything he deemed not important, and later in his life he prefered to be left alone, had set routines, and was hyper focused on physics.

I have looked at his childhood and I see no evidence of significant impairment from AS symptoms. All I see is a child who was very precocious in math/science. Extremely gifted people often hyper focus on an area of interest and often are not interested in their peers because they are so advanced for their age that their peers bore them.

Quote:
We can't claim he had AS because he isn't really alive, but all the evidence comes up in his childhood. The thing you need to remember is that no one is impaired unless they want to be impaired. He lived a good life, much better than how some of us will live.

The thing YOU need to remember is that significant life impairment is a diagnostic criterion of AS so anyone who is not significantly impaired does not meet diagnostic criteria.

Let me go over this again.

Qualitative impairment in social interaction;
The presence of restricted, repetitive and stereotyped behaviors and interests;
Significant impairment in important areas of functioning;
No significant delay in language;
No significant delay in cognitive development, self-help skills, or adaptive behaviors (other than social interaction); and,
The symptoms must not be better accounted for by another specific pervasive developmental disorder or schizophrenia.

Those are the diagnostic requirements. He would have met all of those.

I agree; he definitely was an aspie.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 10:45 am

I was initially sceptical about this claim of Einstein's AS, but further study (and a complete revision of my understanding of what "autism" really means) has lead me to certain conclusions:

From reinterpreting comments on his various (and widely recorded) behaviourisms, so as to remove the silly assumptions most writers make about the undesirability of anything they consider "abnormal" (a strange bias, as even those who think themselves normal never strive to be average, and go to great pains to emphasise their differences; it's also worth noting that anyone with a PhD is abnormal, and that the olympic gold goes to the fastest/strongest etc., not the guy in mid-pack...) and reassessing the various definitions of AS in the same light, then he appears to be a slam dunk for an AS or (if reports of his late speech are true, though it's of little relevance) HFA diagnosis.

Secondly, from studying both his biography and the reports of how he developed his ideas, he's an equally clear match for the autistic personality type that Rosanoff described (@1920, long before Kanner is supposed to have invented autism) which is also to be found in just about all the great thinkers of history (irrespective of whether or not they had ticks, obssessions, social ineptitude and all the other paraphernalia asosciated with AS).

Such assesments are, of course at odds with the "official" view of autism (the condition which, according to Science magazine, "resists definition"...and with small wonder, as most "experts" are just regurgitating the unmitigated crap they were spoon fed in college, while yet others are deliberately misleading the public...and all are most careful not to debate with adult autistics {or even admit we exist?} in case some reality should intrude on their fantasies). Still, such luminaries as Baron-Cohen (probably the smartest guy in autism research) and Ioan James (an eminent and extinguished mathematician, with no axe to grind) have concluded he was possible AS.

To really grasp the truth though, you need to examin what our great leaders wish us to believe:

When I first heard of AS in 1998, on a BBC radio program, it concluded with one female contributor opining that people with AS (a worthless term as far as I'm concerned) are greatly overrepresented among the major scientists of history, who was quickly cut off by the presenter, who sourly commented "that would be difficult to prove". It belatedly occurs to me that that was broadcasted live, and that the contributers may have been specifically instructed not to mention that observation, and so the contributor kept it till the last moment? Either way, it's certain that "experts" have known of this link for decades. Difficult to prove? Only if you adhere to the DSM method of interviewing parents and relatives about a subjects' childhood (which is itself unreliable, and, contrary to the "postmortem diagnosis" objectors position, no more difficult if the subject is dead or alive!). If objective psychometric tests are used (like the full version of this one:
http://chandlermacleod.com/cmbestfit/content/btw.cfm
which found me to be "very strongly autistic" way back in 1981; why don't autism researchers use such? Buggered if I know, it's way better than the AQ test!) then it gets a lot more reliable, and some historical cases are just crying out for recognition; just check out how Archimedes met his death (so much for the "mercury in vaccines" brigade; autism has been around since the Neanderthals).

Once "autism" is recognised as just a different way of interacting, with both reality and each other, then it becomes clear. Just as a world full of autistics would have no need nor desire for body language, eye contact and the like, so would our "preoccupation" with things (as opposed to obsessive interaction with other members of the herd) be recognised as a gift, a gift which has given humanity just about every worthwhile technical development...and therein lies the rub; the establishment types, dependent as they are on their "social skills" and their domination and control of "lesser" beings, don't like the idea that us weirdos (or anyone else but their own kind) may have made a valuable contribution (after all, they want to be able to "justify" the way they keep all the loot for themselves!) let alone being singularly responsible for bringing mankind out of the caves, inventing television, and doing away with grass for toilet paper...

David Icke speculated that the ruling dynasties may have decsended from lizards, but if he'd studied more psychology he'd have realised that lizards have nothing on certain human types when it comes to murderously obsessive self indulgeance. The people who rule society are, by their nature, determined to control every aspect of others' lives, including buying up media when they can (and thus contolling the editorials) or else taking them over, or simply undermining them by whatever means are available (people who spend millions on loss making newspapers are hardly going to balk at hiring professional trolls to create the desired (false) impressions on web sites.

Where does Einstein come in? You must all have noticed how increasingly negative any media reports on autism have become? That "brocken mirrors" crap in unScientific American? That article in Time last year that, apart from repeating the usual lie about Kanner inventing the word, amounted to a list of unsubstantiated assumptions, and phrases carefully written to create false impressions (the paper editers could not have done so by accident, and are clearly party to this deceit) as well as the ubiquitous statements that denser glial cells in autistic brains must be due to inflammation (why?) as must(?) larger head size (I'm willing to bet that there's a much stronger correlation between large heads and "autistic personalities" than there are with actual disorders...but don't expect this survey to be done any time soon, though it would cost peanuts) and no mention whatsoever of any advantage to being autistic! This is repeated in every single medium where I've seen any mention of autism. Without exception! Where the public at large is concerned, there is no alternative viewpoint; autism is something to be treated or got rid of!

Back to unSA, the Antigravity column a year or so back, where, on the apparent authority(?) of one David Green, of the New School of New York (whatever that is?) we were told categorically that, while Newton may have been AS (apparently, he was prone to head for dinner in mismatched stockings! Imagine how civilisation would have collapsed...) it couldn't be true for Einstein. How did he reach this conclusion? Well, having rubbished some unnamed British psychologists for using postmortem analysis, he then went and used exactly the same technique to "prove" the opposite!! !

When I e-mailed my objections (not printed, none of my mails to this or any other mag ever get printed, even when not related to autism...but they did print an anonymous erratum when I pointed out that motorcycle countersteering was not a recent invention; could it be none of their "approved" PhD types had spotted their error?) Steve Mirsky passed it on to Green, who, oblivious to his own hypocriscy, went on about scientific scepticism (of which the poor man consideres himself an expert...) and attempted to convince me that anyone who liked a good night on the booze, or who had relationships (not sure where he got this, as, appart from being maried twice, once to an aspie, once to his cousin, I can't find about any female friends other than Mdme Currie's equally gifted daughter...another slam dunk autistic, as was her mother) or who shared Einsteins great humanity (autistcs have no humanity? Great humanity is "normal"?) could not be autistic. In short, this clutz knew even less about autism than he did about Einstein (which is considerably less than one might expect from one who professes to lecture in science history!).

And there's more! Decades ago, I read with interest, a report of an autopsy of a thin slice of Einsteins brain (all that was permited by the family, the rest was buried, as was the slice, some time later) which stated that the only notable "abnormality" was a greater density in his white matter (glial cells). That's it, and that's all of it, but if you google "Einsteins brain" you'll find umpteen reports of his whole brain having been reconstructed, which is simply not possible, as it's long since gone to the worms.

No suprise then, that, contrary to the evidence of his head size (just look at the photos) we are told he had a smaller than average brain (strange that the ratio of brain to body size has always been accepted as a reliable indicater of intelligence...with two notable exceptions: Neanderthals and autistics, and now Einstein). There is no mention of his denser glial cells (a noted autistic trait) but we read that he had more cross connections between hemispheres than is "normal" (the opposite to autistic brains) which we are told is the "probably source of his extra smarts"? In fact, it's more likely that those extra connections NTs enjoy are the source of their constant duplicity and their amazing ability to believe two contradictory facts to be true simultaneously, or to say one thing when they mean another. Or to spend pots of money in this probably succesful attempt to rewrite history (which is scarcely the first time...) wherein every notable feature of Einstein's brain becomes the opposite of what is found in autistics. And don't imagine the official lies about autism stop there!

Get the picture. You can be 100% sure Einstein was autistic because the establishment don't want people to know that.