Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jul 2012, 2:37 pm

I just make alot of mistakes most of the time.
If I'm doing something quickly everything usually turns out messed up.

Why is this and I do I prevent it?

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:39 pm

Perhaps you have Dyscalculia?

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jul 2012, 2:46 pm

Blownmind wrote:
Perhaps you have Dyscalculia?

I can do arithmetic

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 3:29 pm

Isn't this common in people with Dyslexia?

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 3:41 pm

You might have dyscalculia.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 3:42 pm

Wandering_Stranger wrote:

Ahh, yes, my bad. I were too quick to answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia#S ... d_symptoms
Quote:
Some early symptoms that correlate with a later diagnosis of dyslexia include delays in speech, letter reversal or mirror writing, and being easily distracted by background noise.

I believe reading 4060 as 6040 is relevant to Dyslexia.

...but then again Dyscalculia have these symptoms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia#Symptoms
Quote:
(...)
Often unable to grasp and remember mathematical concepts, rules, formulae, and sequences
(...)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:04 pm

Perhaps you are just working too fast and aren't checking your work? I think this happens to everyone.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:24 pm

Have you been checked out for dyslexia?

ruveyn

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:31 pm

I do not have dyscalculia but I also often accidentally mix up numbers when reading, saying them out loud or when writing them down/copying them from somewhere due to my ADHD.

From what I understand, this is a common phenomenon in students with ADHD (as are seemingly dyslexia-like symptoms) but the mistakes are stemming from the impaired ability to regulate one's attention (that if left untreated and if a student frequently gets distracted from lessons and school-work tends to result in further learning impairments over the years).

Students with dyscalculia or dyslexia usually struggle significantly in reading, writing or maths even when they are attentive and focussed on their work.

Edit: So, what I meant to say is that mixing up numbers often can also be due to ADHD.

MrJosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2012, 5:14 pm

This is something I've had trouble with, and looking back it's actually been from an early age, although I've also had a number of the problems associated with dyscalculia.

I went to the doctor about the situation, however, given the circumstances which led me to go to the doctor (a work situation) they said it was just nerves and would pass - it didn't.

I don't think I've got dyslexia, I'm not sure about dyscalculia. But I don't know what to do.

IndieSoul
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2012, 5:20 pm

I have the same problem. I often read two-digit numbers backwards, though I don't think I have dyslexia.

Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

-RUSH

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jul 2012, 1:36 am

Blownmind wrote:
Wandering_Stranger wrote:

Ahh, yes, my bad. I were too quick to answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia#S ... d_symptoms
Quote:
Some early symptoms that correlate with a later diagnosis of dyslexia include delays in speech, letter reversal or mirror writing, and being easily distracted by background noise.

I believe reading 4060 as 6040 is relevant to Dyslexia.

...but then again Dyscalculia have these symptoms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia#Symptoms
Quote:
(...)
Often unable to grasp and remember mathematical concepts, rules, formulae, and sequences
(...)

I do have a language delay( receptive , expressive language disorder and auditory processing disorder.) Sensitive to sound. Problems Concentrating and attention. I understand maths , the concepts. I have a hard time doing maths though because I most of the time mix up the numbers alot and I can do arithmetic too. I sometimes in english say instead of dress trust and just mix up words with other words. But idk.