Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jch404
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2012, 10:32 pm

I've been identified as 'Gifted' for years and have mostly accepted it at this point (I don't like being labeled) but I've also noticed I have many aspie traits...Where exactly does the line between the two fall? Or is there even a line? Thoughts anyone?

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 10:34 pm

Relevant related thread from earlier:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt203367.html

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Jul 2012, 11:06 pm

Are you asking in the sense of:

* What makes giftedness different from Asperger's?

or

* Can you have both at the same time?

* Or both?

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 11:33 pm

You could begin to check here: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10167.aspx

Don't forget you could be both gifted and asperger, which fall into the "twice-exceptionnal" category.

Last edited by Tollorin on 10 Jul 2012, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 11:38 pm

Some gifted people have traits of AS or Autism, while others don't. So it's possible to be gifted with or without AS or Autism. Since the OP notices having some AS traits as well, I would suggest researching AS and finding a psychiatrist who has experience with AS / Autism for a diagnosis.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 12:47 am

Do you fit well into groups of gifted people? Do you relate well to gifted people one-on-one?

I am autistic and gifted, and I don't, and I don't.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2012, 3:41 am

Define "gifted."

I qualify for Mensa and have perfect scores on some standardized tests. I'm quite good in my field of study and work, with dozens of awards.

I don't have a Nobel prize, nor did I cure the common cold, or something truly remarkable of that nature.

So, what is gifted?

Do I think I'm gifted? Well, compared to some people, not compared to others. The "gifted" label irritates me when some high school kid takes AP Calc as a freshmen and thinks they're "gifted" and all that. No, you're not gifted if taking high school courses a few years early is the only thing. If you discover a quantum physics theory at age 10, then, yes, you're abnormally gifted, as your peers are out playing with Barbie/Legos.

Are you asking if everyone who has autism is gifted?

Or, if being gifted means you also have autism?

The answer to those 2 things is no.

Many people with Asperger's have special interests, usually researching the subject ad naseum. That's where the "little professor" title comes from--- you research and read about your special interest enough to the point that you can lecture someone on it. Does that make you gifted or incredibly intelligent? Not necessarily. You're just reading up on other people's research. If, however, you're interested in bacteria as a special interest and invented a renown anti-bacterial compound,... now, that's gifted. Knowing and learning about isn't the same as inventing and discovering: the later of these is what is truly gifted. If we're talking "gifted" in public grade schools, well, their standards are much, much, much lower.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 3:55 am

jch404 wrote:
Where exactly does the line between the two fall?

I believe volition is the line. Gifted is, hey, I'll whip out my skill and save the day. Asperger's is, whoa, here I go again, like it or not, & I'm hoping for the best.

EQ: 6.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 4:06 am

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
jch404 wrote:
Where exactly does the line between the two fall?

I believe volition is the line. Gifted is, hey, I'll whip out my skill and save the day. Asperger's is, whoa, here I go again, like it or not, & I'm hoping for the best.

So is gifted with AS..."Damn it I have to save the day again!"?

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 4:13 am

Rascal77s wrote:
"Damn it I have to save the day again!"?

& the next, too.

EQ: 6.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 4:32 am

You can be one, both, or neither. They are not particularly related. Autistic people tend to score poorly on IQ tests, but there are so many exceptions to that rule that you really can't make predictions. And do I really need to say yet again that IQ is a bunch of meaningless crap, especially when it comes to autistics? I've said it about two dozen times already....

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 5:00 am

Callista wrote:
And do I really need to say yet again that IQ is a bunch of meaningless crap, especially when it comes to autistics? I've said it about two dozen times already....

Yes you do :) You'll have to keep saying it because all of the people who use IQ score to prop up their ego are tuning you out. It's in their interest to not hear you.

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2012, 10:40 am

I have been told i'm gifted and special all my life. I always reply with we are all special, I was just made different.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Jul 2012, 10:54 am

I think what I am most gifted at is being able to discuss things I've barely studied in such a way that people assume I've read actual literature on the topic. Or in one case, assume I have a degree in the topic.

That's just because I am really good at research, and for me "barely studied" can involve months of study.

I agree with Callista, though. IQ doesn't seem to mean much for me, and I am not even sure that the above has anything to do with the skills measured in an IQ test. It may be that being hyperlexic actually spiked my score much higher than it should have been because I was able to read at a college level (even if I didn't comprehend what I read at a college level) in the first grade.

jch404
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2012, 4:09 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Do you fit well into groups of gifted people? Do you relate well to gifted people one-on-one?

I am autistic and gifted, and I don't, and I don't.

I don't know..I avoid people to the point that I only really have one friend..who's extremely OCD...I probably would do okay with some. It's so hard to generalize though.

jch404
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2012, 6:42 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Callista wrote:
And do I really need to say yet again that IQ is a bunch of meaningless crap, especially when it comes to autistics? I've said it about two dozen times already....

Yes you do :) You'll have to keep saying it because all of the people who use IQ score to prop up their ego are tuning you out. It's in their interest to not hear you.

Along with IQ tests, I think grades don't mean that much. At least have nothing to do with IQ. I went to public school for a year and a half (biggest mistake of my life! Didn't learn anything.) and my GPA was 0.3...probably because I had learned everything already, but I have a high IQ. neither really has anything to do with anything at all though..what's the point?