Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cowscows
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2012, 1:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Ancient Egypt, China, American Civil War, Rocknroll, naval warfare, each were my history obsessions at some point for me.

Just to name a few phases.

So im game for any history club you wanna start.

Oh yeah a history club would be fantastic :D :D. I love it, my interests have been Queen Victoria, WWII and the English Civil War :D

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 3:23 pm

Nymeria8 wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:
I'm interested in history, all of it, or at least anything that ever happened that's been of more than local significance. Historical atlases are wonderful things.

Indeed!

I REALLY miss working in a bookstore sometimes. Especially reading posts like this.

phyrehawke
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2012, 5:17 pm

Yes...don't know how I missed this thread. History junkie checking in. Mostly medieval, and Native Am.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 5:19 pm

History of the Holocene Era (H.E.) is my interest. This period covers the time from the end of the most recent global Ice Age to the present (2012 A.D.). Holocene dating differs from the BC/AD system in that 10,001 B.C. is Year Zero H.E., and that 2012 A.D. is 12,012 H.E. Thus, my data covers 12,012 years of human history!

For Instance, a chronology the first 3000 years of the Holocene Era look something like:

Code:
10001 B.C.     0000 H.E.   End of the Paleolithic Period and Pliestocene Epoch; Beginning of the Holocene Era ("Year Zero H.E."). Pre-Historical period ends; Modern human history begins.

10000 B.C.     0001 H.E.   (Approximate Year) Beginning of the First Agricultural Revolution. People begin to leave their nomadic lifestyles, settle down into permanent locations, and begin to rely on agriculture for sustenance in many regions. The domestication of animals begins. All continents (except Antarctica) inhabited.

9600 B.C.     0401 H.E.   (Approximate Year) End of the Younger Dryas stadial. Sudden climatic warming causes melting of glaciers and snow packs, the runoff inundating low-lying coastal and litoral areas.

9560 B.C.     0441 H.E.   The alleged year of the destruction of mythical Atlantis, according to Plato.

9000 B.C.     1001 H.E.   (Approximate Year) Earliest evidence of a walled city, later called 'Jericho'.

8000 B.C.     2001 H.E.   (Approximate Year) Approximate start of the 2.8 ka event, an early 1st millennium BC drought in the Eastern Mediterranean, which possibly triggering the collapse of Late Bronze Age cultures.

8000 B.C.     2001 H.E.   (Approximate Year) Humans are practicing agriculture in preference to living as hunter/gatherers.

7500 B.C.     2501 H.E.   (Approximate Year) Incipient Jomon period ends. Initial Jomon period begins. The term "jomon" means "cord-patterned" in Japanese. This refers to the pottery style characteristic of the Jomon culture, and which has markings made using sticks with cords wrapped around them. This period was rich in tools, jewelry, figures and pottery.

7000 B.C.     3001 H.E.   (Approximate Year) First known manufacture of pottery.

7000 B.C.     3001 H.E.   (Approximate Year) Approximate founding of the actual City of Jericho.

Please note that it took about 2000 years for humans to switch from being mostly Hunter-Gatherers to mostly Herder-Farmers, and another thousand years for them to start manufacturing pottery (at least on a large scale).

The data that I've compiled so far in this form is contained in a 300KB text file. The PDF is much larger.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 11:47 pm

Would very much like to know more about the rather mysterious Indus Valley Civilization.

Sylkat

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 7:20 pm

World War II, to the extent that the Missus has forbidden me to buy any more books dealing with the subject. The most recent one I wanted to buy dealt with how capitalists in the USA were able to gear up their various industries to churn out the thousands and thousands of airplanes, jeeps, tanks and firearms.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 8:07 pm

War profiteers through the centuries have become wealthy from human misery.

Sylkat

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 4:56 am

Richard III's grave may have been found.
Under a parking lot.

Sylkat :roll:

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 5:11 am

I realize that my special interests wax and wane over time but somehow, they are all related to history. Hmm, I have been steering myself towards modern history even though ancient history remains as intriguing as ever. Just wondering--any of you interested in empires such as the British Empire?

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 8:08 am

The artworks of the Chauvet Cave (painted 30,000 years ago) are stunning...am I correct that only animal skeletons, no human remains, were found there?

Sylkat

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 5:17 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Under a parking lot.

Have his supporters proven his innocence yet? :P

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 5:21 pm

Pyrite wrote:
Sylkat wrote:
Under a parking lot.

At this late date, that would be next to impossible to prove or disprove. (Poor bloke.)

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 5:24 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Pyrite wrote:
Sylkat wrote:
Under a parking lot.

At this late date, that would be next to impossible to prove or disprove. (Poor bloke.)

Oh. I guess I'll check back in another century or so and see how they're doing.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 12:40 am

Was DNA testing done on the two children's skeletons found hidden in the Tower in the 1960's?

They have apparently been accepted as being the two missing princes, but why are 'they' sure?
And, of course, even if they are, that is not proof that Richard III was responsible......

Sylkat

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 8:05 am

The cape of Juan Diego.

And Juan Diego himself.

Sylkat

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 4:30 am

Why did Princess Diana have a closed casket?

Never understood that.....

Sylkat