Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 2:14 am

puddingmouse wrote:
I wouldn't say Asia gets shoved down your throat. Especially the Asian countries that aren't China and Japan (though even those countries don't get shoved down anyone's throat).

When you go to high school in Australia they do - there is a huge focus on Asia here.

The government has really been pushing Asian Languages and Modern Asian Studies in the Universities here too.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 2:17 am

Kjas wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
I wouldn't say Asia gets shoved down your throat. Especially the Asian countries that aren't China and Japan (though even those countries don't get shoved down anyone's throat).

When you go to high school in Australia they do - there is a huge focus on Asia here.

You learn nothing about Asian history in British high school, except three wars, if you're lucky. Vietnam, Japan in WWII and the Opium War.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 2:26 am

puddingmouse wrote:
You learn nothing about Asian history in British high school, except three wars, if you're lucky. Vietnam, Japan in WWII and the Opium War.

It's a relavitively recent thing.

Since they are so close to Asia and have major economic ties with them, and especially because Asia is emerging so strongly as an economic power, they are starting to really push it in the education system.

The universities are really pushing Asian Languages and Modern Asian Studies - preferably in cominbation with Busness. The LOTE system in high school and primary school is changing too - they are starting to push for Japanese, Chinese, Indonesian and some others. In high school, SOSE, Modern history and Ancient history they are also really starting to push Asian history there too.

It's clearly an attempt to change with the times as Asia is emerging as an economic power and Australia needs people in both the public and private sector for these roles which are here already but are going to become much more needed in the years to come.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 4:00 pm

Yaay for history! Especially art and costume history.

Not to boast or anything--well, maybe to boast a bit--I kept my TV network from airing a show with a portrait of Oliver Cromwell when they meant to show Thomas Cromwell. I mean, the painting styles were so totally different. Most of the portraits of the Tudor era were so dark, and very static. The one of Oliver Cromwell was blindingly bright compared to that, and it was full of motion. He was wearing shiny armor and had a cloak billowing around him. I don't know how anyone could think this painting was from the same era.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 5:08 pm

Ancient and Medieval History checking in!! ! Go history.

“Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.”
― George Santayana

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 5:25 pm

History became something of a fixation for me starting at a young age. I like most different time periods or analytical categories of history. Military history comes to mind.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 5:33 pm

Vigilans wrote:
History became something of a fixation for me starting at a young age. I like most different time periods or analytical categories of history. Military history comes to mind.

Yes ... that's a big interest of mine too. Many different places and time periods.

Conceptually its very interesting, but the actual practice is abhorrent to me.

Legendwind
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2012, 8:39 am

Ancient history, and particularly Ancient Rome and the French Revolution, is one of my favorite topics of interest.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 1:29 pm

I'm very interested in history, most especially Iberian history. Also, I read about the history of Mexico, England, France, Russia. Right now, I'm trying to find info on Scandinavian history.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 2:44 pm

I'm interested in history, all of it, or at least anything that ever happened that's been of more than local significance. Historical atlases are wonderful things.

The year is still young.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 3:13 pm

I like history in general,especially ancient Roman and Greek. How modern countries came to be developed is something else I find fascinating,
like the fact that Spain at one time controlled the Netherlands while the Dutch in turn colonised Brazil before the Portuguese took it over .

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 4:40 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
I'm interested in history, all of it, or at least anything that ever happened that's been of more than local significance. Historical atlases are wonderful things.

Indeed!

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 8:32 am

pluto wrote:
I like history in general,especially ancient Roman and Greek. How modern countries came to be developed is something else I find fascinating,
like the fact that Spain at one time controlled the Netherlands while the Dutch in turn colonised Brazil before the Portuguese took it over .

I love it when Spain ruled the Netherlands. I also like Brazil. I like that they had a couple of Emperors. I wish they had stayed. Our two Mexican Emperors as well. Maybe things would be better and more stable with them.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 9:05 am

European, and 19th and early 20th century. Not a popular area by the look of it, but I have an MA in it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:19 pm

Ancient Egypt, China, American Civil War, Rocknroll, naval warfare, each were my history obsessions at some point for me.

Just to name a few phases.

So im game for any history club you wanna start.

cowscows
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2012, 1:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Ancient Egypt, China, American Civil War, Rocknroll, naval warfare, each were my history obsessions at some point for me.

Just to name a few phases.

So im game for any history club you wanna start.

Oh yeah a history club would be fantastic :D :D. I love it, my interests have been Queen Victoria, WWII and the English Civil War :D